• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From fire truck to MTV

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can confirm you'll definitely want shrubbery protection up high if you even get the slightest bit adventurous.

I read the same warnings about the mini splits and intend to thoroughly shield mine when (finally) installed.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some research on heating and cooling requirements today. Put the wife's space heater inside in the morning and ran all day. Measured power output at 1.4kw.
Ideally would have gone longer but makes it pretty clear the 5kw diesel heaters will be more than sufficient reguardless of outside temp. Took a lot of thermal data so I could see exactly where heat was being lost. Passthrough door hasn't been insulated yet and is by far the biggest heat transfer location. Overall, looks like the insulation is working awesome.

Screenshot_20240305_200701_Govee Home.jpgScreenshot_20240305_201005_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I guessing correctly that 5kw would be about 3.5 times more than needed at -14F? Right or wrong can you translate what the unit run time percentage would be? I know an oversize unit will drive you crazy especially in a small space.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I guessing correctly that 5kw would be about 3.5 times more than needed at -14F? Right or wrong can you translate what the unit run time percentage would be? I know an oversize unit will drive you crazy especially in a small space.
Not quite, notice the 40°F delta with 1.4kw, so about double that to hit 70f. It also took a LONG time to bring the interior up to temp so that 5kw will be very handy for that. It as a 2.5 kw power as well and will be heating water too so cycle time should be kept in check I would think.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mainly been working on design of systems so lots of time researching parts. Wallet is quite a bit lighter after diesel heater, victron electrics, heat pump, etc. Parts to start arriving soon.

Wife said she needed a sun visor so 3d printed up a holder and found some similar visors (a little shorter but they work). Also installed some flip steps to aid in climbing around the truck. Ended up drilling and tapping the holes (M8) in that vertical beam, it ended up being about 6-8mm thick so plenty to hold the steps.

20240313_150904.jpg20240312_144559.jpg20240312_144641.jpg

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figuring out location for the webasto...can fit it nicely in the battery tray, however it's best for it to be higher than the tank to avoid bubbles in the fuel line. Would be nice to have it below the stock overflow tank and to be able to not have a second overflow. I don't have a lot of locations I could put it to make that happen. I may place it above the ABS, between the tire and pass though, that's above the overflow though so another overflow would be needed.

20240314_120038.jpg

Maybe right down there above the abs...hmm
20240130_100626.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks