• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From fire truck to MTV

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the main electricals mounted. The batteries (3x 24V LiFePO4 victron, 15.3kWh) will be underneath the inverter/chargers.

20240327_133501.jpg

I think this will be the location for the water heater and fresh water tank.
20240327_140335.jpg

Someone asked a while ago, this is with the cab tilted and it's door closed. It has a seal all the way around.
20240405_150050.jpg

Hydronic heater mounted with it's expansion tank.

20240405_145538.jpg

Diesel fuel pickup for the heater installed. Nice that there was already a standpipe in the tank at the secondary port. Made for a very easy install.
20240405_145610.jpg

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the alu tank your header tank? You will likely want to move that indoors somewhere. Otherwise, your 150° glycol will be chilling rapidly while waiting for its trip through the heater. Even just moving it inside the passthrough would likely make a world of difference.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the alu tank your header tank? You will likely want to move that indoors somewhere. Otherwise, your 150° glycol will be chilling rapidly while waiting for its trip through the heater. Even just moving it inside the passthrough would likely make a world of difference.
It's the expansion tank, the only flow into/out of it will be from coolant expansion-no circulation through it. Sure there may be a little of it mixing in the system from turbulence but I doubt it will be significant. The main coolant lines will most likely get some insulation.
I think it will work well but will see!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it. I ran my flow through it to make sure air purges, so mine heats up. I have heater and ~4 total feet of hose running outside of the hab. Everything else is quite purposefully indoors.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you do your cold Voc calculations 😉?
MPPT controller can handle 250V, each panel is 48 VOC per datasheet. I could easily do 3 in series in 2 sets with lots of headroom. I'll probably do 2 in series with 3 sets - to optimize generation with shading. Each panel is just below 10A so I could run the 3 sets into one set of cables and be under the 30A limit of MC4 connectors. Open to thoughts.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For efficiency, you always want to maximize your voltage into the inverter, which in turn minimizes the amperage. Obviously both are hard limits but on paper you're also trying to minimize your wattage losses from the wiring. I did some Rough Voc calcs which typically show +10-12% Voc at -20C ambient startup temp on most panels. So 1.12*48=53.76. If you do 3 in series, you have plenty of space below the threshold, 161.28v < 250. The closer you can get to the max voltage, the better, as long as you're using the cold Voc value. It's just an efficiency preference since your wiring is probably #10 or max #8. Lower current, lower losses. 2 in series is 107.52v and now you're closer to the lower DC activation voltage which I don't know for your model, probably ok unless 1 panel is shaded. for Example, If you had the room you could go 4/4 and be at 215v but that's too much roof space probably. Comparatively, on a groundmount, if I wanted 5 series panels, I'd need to select a model that has a VOC below 44.5v to stay below 250 total with cold Voc. That's where the purchasing dance competes with energy production. I think yours at 3/3 is the best for minimizing losses.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem with series is shade, have lots of deciduous trees around here so if a single panel is shaded, it would kill half my output. (From my very limited research) I plan to look at some technical reports, forums seem to be ripe with opinions instead of facts from the RV community.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few of the storage boxes for the interior (harbor freight) unfortunately one came dented but too much effort to return and wait for another few months so a hammer and paint is the solution.

Also mounted the air/water heat exchanger. Rock solid with the unistrut. Got the motor drivers too and tested them out with the heat exchanger fans and some LEDs (Arduino control) and they worked perfectly. Have a 24v battery bank and am trying to keep all needed items at that voltage to limit conversion losses.

Also dug though my old man pin of wires and found a 4x20 LCD and a keypad so that may be the way to interface with the system.

20240411_141222.jpg20240411_141208.jpg20240411_141217.jpg

Last edited:

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem with series is shade, have lots of deciduous trees around here so if a single panel is shaded, it would kill half my output. (From my very limited research) I plan to look at some technical reports, forums seem to be ripe with opinions instead of facts from the RV community.
1— depends upon the panels them selves;
2— with panels properly spaced above the roof shading does little to aid cooling the habitat and panels, the panels act as a radiator absorbing and emitting the heat. Leaving the habitat cool, bi-facials are better;
3— in series requires an MPPT, not a PWM controller to obtain more power output.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks