• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle traction aid

tvguy

I've always liked the simplicity and reliability of a Detroit . . . that's what I'm running in the front of mine. As long as you don't lock both hubs and try to drive it on dry pavement you'll be OK.

Skinny

Having just driven my M1031 on pavement with the hubs lock (keepin it all lubes up during the summer), it does have some funky handling with the front track. But I don't remember my old Yota which had a rear spool and full Detroit in front handling any worse. Run it with the Detroit and know that both wheels will pull when you throttle it.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand why anyone would want more than the Trac-Lok in the front axle. It gives you true positraction going straight, and provides for over-running when cornering.

Just my 2 Cents.

tvguy

I don't understand why anyone would want more than the Trac-Lok in the front axle. It gives you true positraction going straight, and provides for over-running when cornering.

Just my 2 Cents.
Trac-Loks work well with fresh cluth packs and stock tires. But when you go to bigger tires, or more horsepower . . . or both, you're asking a lot from a limited slip. Many years ago I had a Dodge with a Trac-Lok in the front and 35's and it would "3-wheel" (meaing only one front tire would turn) a lot more than it would "4-wheel". Eventually I pulled the Trac-Lok in favor of a Lock-Right and that solved the problem.

ODdave

Thanks for the input guys. Im thinking the track lock is out. Between pwr-loc and detroit.

I was digging through some of my stuff today and found a new tru-trac I had forgot about but I bellive it is for a rear axle only. Any of you guys have experiance with these? I was told before they are front/rear specific.

jmassenga

I believe the front/rear specific has more to do with spline count than anything else. If my memory serves me well, 'most' dana 60 rears have 30 spline axles. 'Most' dana 60 fronts have 35 splines at the differential. Yes, there's old 10, 16 and probably other spline counts out there, thus the 'most'. I had to change the side gears from 30 to 35 spline components when I rebuilt the powr lok in my front axle. I stand by my previous statement that 'I' would not wanting anything more than a powr lok in the front, but then again I drive my truck 20 miles to and from work 6 months out of the year on ice and snow. 'To me' it is the perfect compromise between traction and handling.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will agree with jmassenga. The PowrLok will provide the best combination of traction and handling in the front axle. The Detroit Locker is actually dangersous in the front axle due to it's initial inability to allow the outer-radius tire to over-travel to compensate for turns. I know this for a fact because in 1985, I purchased a brand new K30 1-ton SRW 4wd 6.2 diesel with a Detroit Locker in the rear. The front Dana 60 was an open carrier, so I purchased and installed a Detroit Locker in the lead axle. During my first off-roading adventure after the installation, I was weaving in and out of trees when all of a sudden it was if my steering wheel would not work. During a slow but tight turn, I had no steeering control and BAM! I centered a pine tree. In 4wd with the hubs locked, the truck just would not steer correctly or safely. Needless to say, the next day i removed the Detroit Locker.

Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks