• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle traction aid

robert c neth

Banned
i have used front locking diffs for years i prefer the style that locks up when one wheel spins and unlocks when you let off the gas for front axles .the guys that we wheel with break those on a daily bassis with detroits.

Dukeboy

My vote is for the power loc if you plan on driving winter roads with it. And for the detroit if it's going to be more trail. This is only using the 3 options you listed.

biggestc69

I would use the Detriot if you've already got it. Snow and icey roads seem to be everybody's big complaint with a front locker. I've ran front lockers in several of my rigs and in the snow and ice I just lock in one hub for normal driving (3 wheel drive) around where I have to make turns like city streets. If I get to a place where the snow is deep, drifts etc, I just lock the other hub in giving me full 4WD. Its kinda a pain getting in and out in some spots to keep locking it in and out but it beats the **** outta the price of a selectable!

gungearz

I would use the Detriot if you've already got it. Snow and icey roads seem to be everybody's big complaint with a front locker. I've ran front lockers in several of my rigs and in the snow and ice I just lock in one hub for normal driving (3 wheel drive) around where I have to make turns like city streets. If I get to a place where the snow is deep, drifts etc, I just lock the other hub in giving me full 4WD. Its kinda a pain getting in and out in some spots to keep locking it in and out but it beats the **** outta the price of a selectable!
And don't forget.... The more complex you make your system, the more parts there are to fail. Especially when your working the system.. The cables, actuators, levers and brackets are not needed with locking hubs and it will always be there when you need it.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Custom y pipe for a drivers side exhuast maybe??
Sounds a whole lot cheaper & easier.
Ted's turbo exhuast goes thru the inner fender.

edit:
forgot
Cummins truck isn't it?
the Trac loc is a Detroit isn't it?

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go with the limited slip up front, when you are turning you would either have too much wheel spin or excessive stress on the axle & steering joints, depending on the off pavement traction conditions.

jmassenga

If I already had a trac loc, I'd slap a new set of clutches in it and put it into the new axle.

I put a power loc in the front of my M1008. Works great, even in winter. Steering effort is noticably more, even in 2wd with the hubs locked. I definitely wouldn't want anything more in a street driven truck.

Iceman3005

Detroit locker!!! Much simpler, its heavy duty, no special fluid needed!!! If turning is an issue or sliding all over the road, just unlock one hub.....whaaaallaaaa!

Brian Thomas

All this cause you want to run a 4 inch pipe? you dont want to spend money on it but you want to run a 4inch pipe on a truck that does not need it. if it means that much to you to have a 4 inch pipe and you dont want to spend money on it becuse of other priorities, then you best run it out the side of the fender and up the A piller of the cab. I have done some strange things but to step over a dollar for a penny is just not right. The best locker running is the detroit. If you use anything else you will not be happy and i say this cause the exhast is bugging you that bad, i know a track lock will drive you nuts!

ODdave

All this cause you want to run a 4 inch pipe? you dont want to spend money on it but you want to run a 4inch pipe on a truck that does not need it. if it means that much to you to have a 4 inch pipe and you dont want to spend money on it becuse of other priorities, then you best run it out the side of the fender and up the A piller of the cab. I have done some strange things but to step over a dollar for a penny is just not right. The best locker running is the detroit. If you use anything else you will not be happy and i say this cause the exhast is bugging you that bad, i know a track lock will drive you nuts!
So what size pipe do you suggest I run on an engine with 370hp injectors, a #5 fuel plate and a turbo pushing 32-35 lbs of boost?

Just curious.....

Thankyou for the input on the question asked though.

Last edited:

ODdave

Detroit locker!!! Much simpler, its heavy duty, no special fluid needed!!! If turning is an issue or sliding all over the road, just unlock one hub.....whaaaallaaaa!

I was really hoping someone here has ran one up front before and had some feedback on the road manners. I figured the military ran the track lock for a reason (traction plus turnability) and I know Dana suggests the clutches be re-arranged in the pwr loc so it is not as tight.

Im leaning towards the detroit but am curious about how it will react, un expected locking and un locking could be dangerous on a slippery road......:???:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks