• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front tire blow out going 55 MPH on the freeway

Scrounger

It is fortunate that everything worked out all right for you. Most tire blowouts are a sidewall failure. And while age and impacts do have an influence, the most prevalent reason is sidewall flex from low air pressure at some tire.
If a tire is operated even for a short tire with low air pressure the sidewall flexes and the inside wall of the tire is weakened. In fact if one breaks down a tire that has been driven with low air pressure there is rubber dust and pieces inside, the rubber is the sidewall failing from inside. When a sidewall fails it can be a zipper tear, because the sidewall opens just like a zipper. However at high speed the entire carcass comes apart because of the energy involved.

The reality is that unless you are the one that has placed the tires in service you really don’t know the history of the tires and things like this can happen. That is why it is especially important to be careful of the tires on used military vehicles because one just never can tell what kind of driver Pvt. Joe Smedley was.

One other note. In the event of a tire failure the first thing to do is stomp on the fuel. Yes I know it sounds strange, but allow me to explain. When a tire fails the vehicles path of direction is disrupted, and one can loose control. By applying fuel you regain directional control, then slowly reduce your speed and if possible stop in a safe place with out the use of brakes, if one has to use the brakes use them like you are on ice.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The stomp on the gas is an interesting theory. Sounds like something the Mythbusters should test. You would have to overcome the natural reaction to brake though I believe that would take significant training to do though.

3dAngus

Well, I guess your friend isn't going to become a MV enthusiasts.:3dAngus:

ON a more serious note, I am glad you guys are OK. That is some really scary stuff!
Good Driving!!!

Rifleman

Since so many of you have asked the question, the tire was a Goodyear G177 1100X20 and was 10 years old. As i said, i started the day off by checking the tire pressure during my PM before we left for our outing. The day was hot around 85 to 90 degrees.

When i inspected the tire after i got it removed the sidewall had numerous vertical cuts in it, i am not sure if they were the cause of the blow out, or were cause from the tire being dragged along the pavement under the weight of the truck. When i stopped for fuel about 25 miles before this happen i did a walk around of the truck looking for leaks and the condition of the tires, all the tires looked fine none of them looked low or had any sidewall damage at all.

As one other member here said heat can kill a tire real fast so i just want to add one more clue to finding out why it failed. Right after i got the truck off the freeway and got out to look at the tire there was smoke coming out of the cuts in the sidewall of the tire. One more point the valve stem was completely ripped off.

So i am wondering if i picked up something that punched a small hole in the tire causing a slow leak. The only problem i see with that idea is the truck showed no problems right up and until the tire blew, most of the time when you have a tire going down you can feel it in the steering wheel, the truck will pull to one side or you will have a vibration, i had none of those signs.

Last edited:

zout

Just curious - what tire pressure were you running and do you have any pics of the destroyed casing ?

FWIW - last week I invested in one of these when I was manually changing out the RF steer:
- Busts loose the most stubborn wheel nuts
- Use on commercial or agricultural wheels
- Gear ratio: 58:1826462709.jpgNut Buddy - but they are branded other names as well.
- Rated output torque: 2950 ft lbs
- Two sockets included: 1 1/2" (38mm) and 1 5/16 (33mm) [h=2]Instructions[/h]

Last edited:

dk8019

Glad to hear you managed to keep it under control. I've been somewhat worried about the super singles on my truck. They are the wavy looking types, with a small amount of weather checking. They feel fine on the road, and the CTIS seems to keep the pressure where it should be when I've checked them.

Rifleman

Some members wanted to know what tire pressure i was running. I was running 85 PSI in the front tires and 70 PSI in the duels, just as an FYI that's what is marked on the trucks fenders. Zout that is a real nice tool you have to remove your lugs, i was looking at something just like that at Uncle Sam' outlet store only problem is it's a little more money then i have inmy pocket right now.

As soon as i get up the energy i will take that flat off the back of the truck so i can post some photos, so give me a few days and i will up date this thread.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yep, a right front blowout put the 819 in the ditch then airborne, sorta makes a exciting day

dburt

If I can afford it, I like to run new radial tires on the steer axle. And ideally they should be on the newer style one piece rims, not the older split rim style wheels. Most of the time a radial will loose air more slowly and give you a little advance warning that something is not right. However, if you run over something and cut or puncture the tire, you warning might be very short.
Just glad you walked away from it, and had no other collateral damage!

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First I am glad that you are ok, I worry about any kind of blowout myself. I watched a very interesting video on you tube the other day about what to do in case of a blowout. They had trucks driving with tires wired to explode and said that you should floor it. No matter where the blowout, you stomp the gas. Never drive with no rpm to gain and you will always have a little engine to help push you straight. If you apply the brakes it will put more weight and force foward and make the truck pull harder to the side of the blowout. I hope I never have to deal with this situation and that if I do that I do not panic and stomp the brake. Heres a link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znCgvHMb-g

quickfarms

Been there done that. The old 10-20 tires used to blow out all the time. It did not help that we were running at 60k on a 10 wheeler. We used to get the truck out if the traffic lane and call the tire changer.

o1951

When i inspected the tire after i got it removed the sidewall had numerous vertical cuts in it,
As one other member here said heat can kill a tire real fast so i just want to add one more clue to finding out why it failed. Right after i got the truck off the freeway and got out to look at the tire there was smoke coming out of the cuts in the sidewall of the tire. One more point the valve stem was completely ripped off. .
When tire looses air, there is a lot of energy absorbed by the extreme sidewall flexing. I have seen instances where the tire got so hot, it caught fire, so smoke is to be expected.
The cuts were caused by the extreme sidewall flexing of an older tire. When tires age, they are like an older rubber band- not as flexible, break easier.

Many tire manufacturers specify a maximum service life of 10 years for truck & RV tires - see Michelin's advice below:

Michelin recommends that any tires
in service 10 years or longer from the date
of manufacture, including spare tires, be
replaced with new tires as a simple precaution,
even if such tires appear serviceable
and even if they have not reached the
legal-wear limit.
For tires that were on an original
equipment vehicle (for example, acquired
on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer’s
tire replacement recommendations
when specified (but not to exceed 10
years).

Rifleman

Fastnova, that video you posted was just like what happened to me. Now i have no way of being able to look at my blow out from behind my truck like in this video but The way this truck turned HARD RIGHT was just what happened to me. Also i would say that the amount of time from blow out to getting to the shoulder of the road in this video was about the same as mine.

Now i would like to think that due to my expert driving is what saved me but i don't think that's true. Don't get me wrong, i am in no way a holy roller but after seeing these videos i feel a higher power was helping me control my truck during this blow out.

I have spoken to many people in the last 24 hours and more then a few of them are over the road truckers and they were shocked that i had a blow out in this type of truck and at that speed and did not loose control. they told me that other driver with years of experience would have lost control and they were shocked when i told them i only had about 10 hours of real driving experience with this type of truck.

I don't know what the answer is, whether i was very lucky yesterday or a higher power controlled my actions, all i can say is i feel truly blessed i will still be around to see my granddaughter grow up.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If I can afford it, I like to run new radial tires on the steer axle. And ideally they should be on the newer style one piece rims, not the older split rim style wheels. Most of the time a radial will loose air more slowly and give you a little advance warning that something is not right. However, if you run over something and cut or puncture the tire, you warning might be very short.
Just glad you walked away from it, and had no other collateral damage!
The 2 piece rims have the bead-lock I would think that would make them safer.

zout

Rifleman - kind of like having a malfuntion when your skydiving - after pucker up time is done and you were able to cut away and get into the reserve and land safely - guess what you think about the next time and every time after that - can I do it again ????

Only reason I inquired about the pressure and pic was that I have been through the Bridgestone Texas Tire Prooving Ground program - you cannot believe what you learn about tires and it was absolutely worth the costs.

Beginning of the year we lost a loaded trailer due to the tire starting on fire and not just splitting out on the sidewalls due to low air pressure and one last week the driver was able to get the tractor unhooked from the trailer while the tire was on fire - also low air pressure related.
I cannot impress hard enough to check air pressures continually with good tire inspections inside and out. The casing is only the component your running on - but air is what is making it work properly.
Our tire costs due to drivers not doing any inspection is astounding.

Tires just do not blow - there is a reason and seeing the casing would be of great value and to see its DOT date build code.

Again - I am glad you made the correction and stopping safely - I doubt you ever see another one but there is always that chance.
So stay off Superstition Mountain Range rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks