• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so basically you lost your nuts??! would i be able to con you out of 3 sets of rod bolts??
Could you extort me out of the rod bolts instead? Getting conned just makes a fella look weak but being extorted takes skill so I would feel less gullible. I think we can set you up. Most Rod bolts are still in the connecting rods but we have some spare parts. As per Rusty and the rest of the metal boys, the damaged engine will keep all parts and go straight to the wrecker so you won't get any stuff we think has been beat.

P6232656.JPG

I was looking at the bearing block bolts when I mentioned we had different sizes. For those not familiar with engine terms, Rod bolts hold the Piston on to the connecting rod around the crank and those suckers were all 9/16. I do see a Rod Bolt measuring tool so we should send you lots of Rod Bolts and you can check them.

Here's some other stuff we found while looking for crate engines. Can't help but thinking about USMC-008 after seeing all the American gear Canada dragged up north. The yellow Oskosh wrecker was brought up from Yuma and has a rotator on it. Hopefully we can fully document this thing as it comes out. There was one gentleman up here that kept bringing the American gear home so real glad we had him on our side. The green thing is a big USMC tug so hope to get a better look at it.

P6272834.JPGP6252710.JPGP6252713.JPG P6252726.JPGP6252727.JPGP6282855.JPGP6252729.JPG

This is a Mack engine that was apparently NOS out of some big Mack truck the army had.

P6252788.JPG

The gold that is yet to be seen.

P6272822.JPG

Another Ahab

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you AA. It's so nice to see another persons teeth knowing they are laughing and not getting ready to bite someone. Life is short brother.

I was going to swing this over to the MV spotted thread but there is enough G749 preservation mixed with Yellow USMC iron we'll put it here.

That Yellow Iron is a USMC wrecker out of Yuma. It's slowly getting dug out of the middle of the wrecking yard. The current owner, Cliff Carbol, is an 89 yr. old wrecking yard man I will refer to as the Legend. The Legend has the complete story of how it got here, the man that brought it, what he did after they parked the wrecker there....he even mentioned the kids names from 40 years ago. He's a legend and I'm locking down as many stories as I can about his adventures.
Not sure what's going to happen with the wrecker but I'm trying my best to save some history.

20170706_115754.jpg 20170706_115707.jpg 20170706_115742.jpg 20170706_115929.jpg 20170706_115539.jpg

This 1956 M135 is smack in the middle of the 3 acre yard and it's extra special. I'm told the boxes are part of the Arctic Kit which is a rare find. The cool little NOS bottle is the alcohol holder. It's not big enough to hook up for cab occupants so I'm told it would hook up to the compressor and keep the water from building up, freezing and cracking lines. There is a picture around here somewhere of the Canadian Alcohol holder.

KIMG0514.JPG KIMG0513.JPG KIMG0503.JPG

The Legend and his wife would jump in a 3 ton tow truck...in the 1980's....and drive 3 to 5 hours to military base auctions and bring home 3 deuces at a time. He sold the engines, Hiab cranes, boxes....anything he could to keep the wife going on vacations. He was a Legend G749 collector. Instead of crushing everything for a few dollars, I gave him a spot to save anything green as it comes out of the yard. He's in a tough spot with land sold and a massive cleanup so we'll see how it goes. These numbers mean something.....to someone.

KIMG0512.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here it is. These guys are funny.

can whiskey drunk.jpg

A little better picture of the wrecker.

P6272834.JPG

It's good to have a sense of humour around the Legend. This is how we dug out the G749 crate engines. Can you see that little box hanging maybe 20 feet off the end of the fork extension extension extension. Full size 302 engine on a stand hanging there.

crate recovery.JPG

There's some crazy stuff showing up at the G749 farm. Parts of the AM General M151 Mutt....all cut up.....on contract.

P7032942.JPG

Do we have any Navy folks out there that know what this is?

P6272836.JPGP6272837.JPGP6272835.JPG

This says compressor on it with a bunch of German writing and I overheard the words Leopard tank. Not sure if it's a 3000psi service device or just a compressor but we have numbers and can look it up one day, when it snows.

P7032943.JPGP7032944.JPGP7032946.JPG

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is quite a find!!

Any complete G749 cab heater kits hidden anywhere?
I haven't found anything recently worthy of photographs let alone sending to you.....yet. We might see the buried trucks by the end of the week so I will share what we find. Every so often I do that search for "military surplus cab heater" and they don't show up all the time. This was one I just found but is it what you need or are you trying to remain 'authentic'? .....you big ol' purist you. https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/6186/9M-874-Personnel-Compartment-Heater-HW30-4-939

Plug and play would be nice. I think we have a few options for original so I'll keep the eyes open.

PB230156.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is quite a find!!

Any complete G749 cab heater kits hidden anywhere?
I was sure hoping we weren't going to get skunked with all the good stuff that was coming out of the wrecker. It turns out the real Skunks don't care what I hope for and I was getting skunked one way or the other. Cool little visitor to the G749 farm posing in front of the P-4.

P7102972.JPG

Ol' Cliff the legend pulled through for us today when I got a call around 6pm that he found some items that need to be saved. He's having a tough time with the folks he hired wrecking everything but Cliff is still calling when the green gold can be saved. Mutt seats, windshields, tarps and Mutt pieces are coming along with the G749 gold.

P7102979.JPG

I was going to say we shouldn't get excited until we get everything unboxed but it's a good day for excitement. Ten heaters were hiding in the back of a van and we're almost certain one of these should work for USMC-008.

P7102980.JPG

Which style of heater we found i the big question. One was out of the box and about 9 more are still in crates. Some heaters would be mounted under the hood and the spaghetti hose fed the cab.

P7102976.JPGP7102978.JPGP7102981.JPG

Still not sure we can pull off saving the 4 G749's that are in here but we're still trying. This BATUS short box unit had crates in the back that we thought were for the M151 Mutt. Turns out the pile in the back appear to be crated M38 parts.

P7102995.JPGP7102991.JPGP7102998.JPG

If it's green and on the ground......it's getting saved.

P7102982.JPG

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good timing, ironic, funny and saved me a ton of time. I was just telling Soldier B Mattech that my eidetic memory knew it saw pictures of the heater install kit. It didn't know where or when so thank you.

Today we got double skunked.

IMG_0135.jpg

Lost a water buffalo tank that likely would have done time in the Valour Park Museum one day. The big item is the plow hook up for the G749 series that may see the scrapper before we get to it.

P7102985.JPGP7102983.JPG

On the flip side.....this upside down Mutt front clip rolled in that once sat somewhere else. The bottom of the chopped Mutt was in real nice shape.

IMG_0111.jpgIMG_0116.jpgIMG_0033.jpg

Mutt 59 came on top of a big flat Dolly..........Pardon.....what is it?..Dolly......Pardon, but what is it...Dolly,...Pardon. She now has a temporary spot overlooking the crops.

IMG_0122.jpgIMG_0137.jpg

Not sure what symbol we found on the Mutt window so if anyone digs up the info before I do just post it up.

IMG_0132.jpg

The legend bought all kinds of NOS stock and stuffed it away in any vehicle with a roof. Every so often something falls out and we find it laying in the mud. This is a blackout light.

IMG_0127.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. A new word I never knew!

Plowboy, you're the Best!!
I watch TV. The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon had an eidetic memory and although I'm no Sheldon, I can often recall where I saw a photo or a sentence....for some odd reason. I'm not always sure where my keys are......but I can picture them.

One thing we never pictured were the rod bolts for the 302. I thought the first one I ''gently removed with a rubber hammer'' had the head worn off but that's the way they are. Looks like part # PP - Bolt 5327564 in the Levy Auto Parts manual.

P7133008.JPGP7133009.JPG

We packaged up a dozen to send to Montana and wanted to be sure they got there safe. This 4 foot role of bubble wrap should protect them so here's to safe shipping.:beer:

P7143012.JPGP7143013.JPGP7143014.JPG

rustystud

Chevy straight six engines all had super tight clearances because of the longer stroke used in these engines. So the rod bolts had to have an "angle" cut in them so they could clear the engine block under the cylinder. If you install the rod bolts incorrectly you will hit the bottom of the cylinder bore.
They even used this engine design in the 235cid and 260cid engines in the 50's and I'm pretty sure the Chevy II engines in the 60's/70's .

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Chevy straight six engines all had super tight clearances because of the longer stroke used in these engines. So the rod bolts had to have an "angle" cut in them so they could clear the engine block under the cylinder. If you install the rod bolts incorrectly you will hit the bottom of the cylinder bore.
Man. Who else in the WORLD would know that "fun fact"/ Critical Detail but rustystud; no one else on this Planet:

- Wizard Extraordinaire

They should declare you a National Treasure, Brother!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In an age of cheap throw-away manufacturing, all that cast metal is a beautiful sight:

- Including that solid (forged?) little stubby!
Hey, speaking of forging, I just found out Tesla worked with some European company to build the best forging press on the planet....so far. Hot aluminum is injected into some very complex forms for large automotive parts....not too fast or it creates bubbles and not too slow or the aluminum cools....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWCTasV2t0

.....but even better than that. and I can't say it enough, will be the Pistons these fellas are making for a local G749 302 project........https://www.rosspistons.com/ More to come on that. Wouldn't want to take away from the birth announcement.

We have baby deer at the G749 farm. We've only seen a pair which is good news because they won't take away the glory from the big birthing news.

STC_0334.JPGSTC_0314.JPG

Triplets.

P7173033.JPG

Don't get me wrong, I know how difficult birth can look but not many ladies will say they used a 4 foot hoe to get a piston out. The mechanic boys said if I put a wooden dowel under the pistons I could just beat them out. Since I farm and landscape, all I had was a 4 foot Italian hoe. My buddy Tony, god rest his soul, showed me more ways to skin a grade and move material with this ridiculous backward shovel, I knew it would get pistons out.

P7173031.JPG

The stuff that came off the top of the pistons is laying on the deck. Looks like after aluminum.

P7173019.JPG

The first one crowned after 30 hits. The second one only took 15 because I hit it twice as hard. The third one made me think that weeding an acre of garden would be easier so we only have triplets. I need a bigger hammer to get the rest out but I think it can be done. We have some tiny scratching on the pistons and from what I see in the 3 bores, where the rust didn't invade, this baby is a keeper.

P7173018.JPG P7173021.JPG P7173028.JPGP7173029.JPG P7173032.JPG

rustystud

Man. Who else in the WORLD would know that "fun fact"/ Critical Detail but rustystud; no one else on this Planet:

- Wizard Extraordinaire

They should declare you a National Treasure, Brother!!
Thanks Ahab, but I'm just old enough to have rebuilt them in the past. Back then they still came in the shop.
On my first rebuild of an old straight six I didn't align the rod bolts correctly. Guess what happened !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks