• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Horse With no Mane

That is a great photograph of some finely groomed ponies in front of the 2 trucks. Beautiful.

Looked for a truck without a cab heater and just a circulating heater but no such luck. Didn't see a block heater banged into one of the frost plug holes either so not sure why they didn't go that route. Here's what we have.

This one had an elbow and about a 4" nipple...I said nipple.....threaded into that hole over there. The hose ran across the top and tied in where they all do. My guess is this one had a cab heater and a short hose was put in to replace it.

P2270632.jpgP2270633.jpgP2270634.jpg

It's odd how they tied the circulating, block heater in with a Y that hooks up to the hose that comes out of the hole back there. They put a valve on Goose so we could guess why.

P2270640.jpgP2270650.jpg

The red hose runs behind the compressor to the circulating block heater.

P2270637.jpgP2270644.jpgP2270645.jpg

......then comes out of the heater and into that spot in the back of the block.

P2270643.jpg

USMC 00-08

What oal length? So they didn't form the stack like it showed in the tm then
Here are the measurements of my exhaust stack.

20180228_165536.jpg20180228_165833.jpg

Looked for a truck without a cab heater and just a circulating heater but no such luck.
:roll: Trying to find a truck with a cab heater isn't so easy down here. I think Canada ended up with all of them. One of these days I'll have to try to get you to sell me one or two.

1944mb

View attachment 734466
hills.jpg
You know that old expression, how does it go??? Oh yeah head for the hills!!! These old trucks can't drive quick enough for me when its time to leave behind people and civilization. The peace + quiet and solitude are something I treasure. Oh yes and the view of the mtns.
cz.jpg
These are the crazy mtns. During the wagon train days it is said a family ventured off and the Indians killed the husband and kids and by the time they were gonna kill her she was going crazy. The Indians believed killing a crazy person was bad medicine-so they let her live and wonder around in the mountains-hence Crazy mtns. Having 4 women in my camp there is not too much peace+quiet, and I think the crazy woman must live in them. Thats why I have an army trucks to sooth me!
View attachment 734463View attachment 734464
camp1.jpgcamp.jpg
Well this summer has been crazy busy like every other summer. Continuing with mamas lead from last year, we've decided again to use the army trucks for camping. We get up above the height of where most things that can easily get to you while you're sleeping can't, they are great in storms and bad weather, and what the heck I get to use the trucks! While this is the m35, its with the m211 in mind that I show these...perhaps next year I can actually have the brakes done and have it road worth.
siouxc.jpg
View attachment 734465
This is taken at a place known as Sioux Crossing, at least to my wife+her family who grew up a mile from here. 25 yards from here you can still see rocks placed in circles where the Sioux setup their tepees. In the back ground is Crazy Peak. For the movie buffs...Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford, featured these mtns.
paint.jpgcentiennal.jpg
Indian Paint brush on the left and centennial plant on right. The centennial plant blooms once every 100 years, this one has already finished blooming. A lot has changed in 100 years. The remoteness of here I don't think too much has changed in the mtns.
custer.jpg
Thinking back to what 100 years ago meant...it was well 142 years ago, 3 hours from here that the US military and G.A Custer and 212 of his men, met their fate battling the native Indians that once occupied these lands. Its neat to me that you can still find traces of the people that were here before.
crzypk.jpg
The south end of the crazies, up close and personal. Not too much not to enjoy here....well back to figuring out how to make things work, and getting stuff done. Hopefully the next post will be of brakes getting completed??!

Last edited:

1944mb

So just had a quick question about rims. Why are some of these galvanized and some aren't. This particular one referenced the face has rust but the back side and most of it, including the locking ring is galvanized. At first I speculated that it was a Canadian manufactured truck thing, as these are on a Canadian m-207. After closer inspection though this rim was manufactured by fire stone around 1955 and is stamp made in the USA. Does anyone know whether they all were original ally intended to be galvanized?

Attachments

1944mb

US Army SSG Atkins - Bozeman, MT Memorial Day

As a fellow Montanan, I wanted to take a moment to post about US Army SSG Atkins, who this week was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions in Iraq, June 1, 2007. SSG Atkins was a Bozeman, Montana native who paid the ultimate sacrifice protecting his country and the men he served with by shielding them, with his body, from a suicide bomber. His parents, in a ceremony this week, received the CMH from US President Trump. You can read and watch a couple stories on his family and his sacrifice here.
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6019932660001/#sp=show-clips
https://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/atkins/

As such, this Memorial Day parade(May27), is anticipated to be much more involved in Bozeman, MT. The grand marshals are befittingly gold star family members, of which are estimated to be around 100. Montana Military Vehicle Preservation Club(MMVPC)(of whom I am recently a member), is the organization tasked with transportation of these honored families down main street. Their request was 2.5 ton trucks as their transportation of choice. We currently have 6-2.5ton/5ton trucks, 14 jeeps and 1 weapons carrier. This is an invitation if anyone was looking to join MMVPC and drive their vehicle in the parade, or just show up and pay our critical respects to those who dedicate their lives to our safety(and their families), I can provide critical info. For me, ushering our military vehicles into future generations is as much about the men and women they served with, and the freedoms they fought to protect.

Currently USMC 00-08 is planning to fly up and drive the M211, while I drive the M35. Got a ton of work to do to the 211 prior to that, but this is just the kick I need to stop working on work so much and start working on my truck. I feel us guys on the early deuce forum are a unique set(definitely proper english-just following plowboys grammar etiquette from this week earlier)). We all love our trucks a little more than most(not to sound too stuck up). Parts shortages and what have you haven't stopped us from keeping these trucks rolling. Wanted to extend an invitation if anyone wanted to join us they'd be most welcome.
FB59B5E1-33F7-4347-877E-7A276C8279F9.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

1944mb

New Shoes

This was last fall, Picked up a few tires as mine were getting pretty well used, oh and flat. Decided to have the local sandblaster man get rid of the old crud so well could get some new paint on there. This was last fall before the weather turned

Attachments

1944mb

Well finally making some progress on the truck. the brakes are totally done-rebuilt every wheel with new wheel cylinders, seals etc. I would stress checking everything over pretty well. This truck was pretty well taken care of but I found a copper rivet in one of the brake lines-blocking flow to one of the wheel cylinders.

In the process I noticed the front driverside top kingpin was loose. I disassembled the knuckle but realized I did not have the shim kit to rebuild it. So I re-assembled to rebuild another day.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
????

Sabotage?!

Like how ELSE would that thing get in there?!!

You sure are doing some pretty work, looks top-shelf!
. Sabotage is possible. Another possibility is the cylinder had to be isolated due to something or another. Best way to isolate is using the tapered river of the correct size. I’ve never seen it used on trucks but it’s an ABDR fix for hydraulic systems when isolating non flight essential systems, used strictly in wartime conditions.

1944mb

. Sabotage is possible. Another possibility is the cylinder had to be isolated due to something or another. Best way to isolate is using the tapered river of the correct size. I’ve never seen it used on trucks but it’s an ABDR fix for hydraulic systems when isolating non flight essential systems, used strictly in wartime conditions.
Yes I would say it they had some leaky cylinders on that hub. Thats interesting that its a common fix. I figured some one would just use a cap/plug. whats ABDR stand for? Do you still work on helicopters?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I would say it they had some leaky cylinders on that hub. Thats interesting that its a common fix. I figured some one would just use a cap/plug. whats ABDR stand for? Do you still work on helicopters?
ABDR is Aircraft Battle Damage Repair. It’s a formal school they send aviation mechanics to in order to train them in fixing battle damaged stuff with bailing wire and tin cans and with whatever materials are available. They fix flight control tubes with tin cans, as well as holes in the airframe. They do anything and everything to keep ‘em flying. I haven’t worked on helicopters in several years. I still have the skills and most of the knowledge. I’ve been looking for a helicopter of any type to restore for display. Someday I’ll find one...

1944mb

ABDR is Aircraft Battle Damage Repair. It’s a formal school they send aviation mechanics to in order to train them in fixing battle damaged stuff with bailing wire and tin cans and with whatever materials are available. They fix flight control tubes with tin cans, as well as holes in the airframe. They do anything and everything to keep ‘em flying. I haven’t worked on helicopters in several years. I still have the skills and most of the knowledge. I’ve been looking for a helicopter of any type to restore for display. Someday I’ll find one...
Ah, basically you get a bunch of farmers and rancher together and learn how to jerry rig stuff :) That would be totally awesome-if you find something I'd volunteer sometime to help out. I've always really wanted to work around helicopters-always been fascinated with them. I know nothing about them but always thought it would be awesome to restore a uh1-nothing like the sound of the rotors. A fella that works for me is a fixed wing pilot and he said over in eastern montana there is a guy restoring a hiller oh-23 back to army specs.
A summer or two ago I worked for a guy that had a uh1 for firefighting-you know the old clunker.
Check this out
https://youtu.be/bAEzxIngwIE

http://americanhuey369.com/WEB VIDEO/videohomepage2.htm
click on the video "huey 369 at Machine gun shoot knob creek, ky"

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Videos like that make me miss the good old days. I worked on UH-1N’s primarily but have some time working on the H model and F model. I also worked on H-3’s, H-53’s and H-60’s. Then Hiller’s were good birds. They were primarily an Army aircraft. I served in the Marine Corps and Air Force. If I ever get one, I put out a call for volunteers.

1944mb

Air pac

Its been a fast and furious couple of months around here. Was able to get a whole bunch of work done in a short period of time. I'll be posting some pics of the work we were able to complete on the truck and bring it back to roadworthy condition-with some repairs that still need to be done. Obviously the big item to tackle was the brakes. Since we have an excellent write up on the airpac rebuild I'm just gonna show some pics. I want to point out two big learned items with the air pac. One was removing the seal down in the aluminum housing-sorry dont mean to sound like a moron-the exploded view I have doesn't really describe the item other than seal, housing, rod, etc. I will post a pic of the exploded view it is NN and is circled. It was late the night I decided I was gonna just pull it apart and rebuild it-like midnight and I needed to work the next day. So in my urgency I took an angled punch and tried to drive the seal out-to no avail I kept breaking the out lip of the seal. I learned long ago when something isn't working out mechanic-ing walk away and think about it. I walked away and called USMC the next day and told him my troubles in getting this seal out. He said oh that's easy use a 1/2"-13 bolt thread it into the seal and it comes right out. See-no thinking and just calling someone who knows most frequently works better. Threaded the bolt in and had the seal I'd been messing with for 2 hrs out in 30 seconds. USMC said it was on someone else's thread-plowboys or someone else's.

Secondly, after I installed the airpac and started the truck I was no building air pressure. I could hear air escaping into the air filter. As I traced the lines out I found that the air pac when it relieves, relieves back into the air filter. But now I need to pull the air side of the air pac apart. My tip #2 in rebuilding the air pac is when you thread "W" in "t" "body, assy"(so descriptive) I would place the air pac in the vertical position with "T" being up. Then make sure the check valve assembly within the body is seated on the seat. Then thread W into the body. My check valve got kitty-wampass and when I threaded W in it buggered the check up and made it stick open-causing the truck not to build air pressure and permanentlyIMG_6907.jpgIMG_6908.jpgIMG_6911.jpgIMG_6914.jpgIMG_6915.jpgIMG_6916.jpgIMG_6917.jpgIMG_6918.jpgIMG_7003.jpgIMG_7004.jpgIMG_7008.jpgIMG_7062.jpgIMG_7065.jpg relieve air into the air filter.

Lastly-while I'm not certain I even took some pictures of the power piston, USMC being the accomplished machinist he is, machined me a five ton power piston that threaded right into my g749 air pac. Y'all(like an Oklahoman would say) need to pester him to crank out some more of these bad boys, it worked perfectly. Naturally I made USMC drive the truck first just in case we had a major power piston airpac failure :) What are friends for right? More on the driving of it later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks