• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GAA Grease

emr

I will say that GAA is used on everything here at the facility here, and the wheel bearing grease for the M1 Abrams was the only different grease they stock, but now that the M1's are gone the grease is too, FYI I have 5 gals of GAA for 25 bucks and 5 gal pails of 10wt motor oil for 20 here in NJ, pick up only though...:beer:...for years i have greased all with what ever i got, hope most of it is wifes tails. sometimes it really is....

Tranny Frank

Gaa

In reading thru information on GAA I gather that this general purpose grease came in 3 different forms a #0 form #1 and the #2 form
depending on temperature and application any one of these three grades of general grease is used, when the term GAA is used in what form ?

example for the steering knuckle #0 and #1 are indicated for use but not #2 (too thick)

emr

interesting, the mil grease i have has a different 3 letter thingy the most used is GAA i will look at the other stuff and post the terms if I can see this thread tomorrow

emr

yea there are 2 other greases here,both have the 3 letters but different, the special one that was only used on the wheel bearings of there M1A1 and another, i will look it up since I happen to have some...

sprucemt

GAA grease has only one mil spec # and the current one would be mil-prf-10924G. It has different nsn's depending only on the container type. I now know what it is made of and the spec's. It certainly isn't what we all think it is or thought it was. It is way past and far superior then a general purpose grease. This is what I put on the website, but it's just a generic description.

14 oz cartridge. NSN 9150-01-197-7693. Mil-PRF-10924G. NATO G-403. Re-inspect 01/11.GAA is an advanced lithium-complex thickened, multi-purpose NLGI Grade 2 grease. This product is composed primarily of synthetic hydrocarbon base stocks, gelling agents, anti-oxidants and corrosion inhibiting additives. Designed to operate over the temperature range of -54ºC to 121ºC (-65ºF to 250ºF).is intended for use as a long-life, general-purpose lubricant and to provide surface corrosion protection of all ground vehicles and equipment. It is also an excellent lubricant for automotive and industrial applications where a wide temperature range or where infrequent re-greasing is preferred. This grease may be used in other applications where a NLGI Grade 2 grease with good oxidation and salt water corrosion resistance is desirable. GAA is also suitable for use in extremely cold environments such as cold rooms, cold storage lockers, ice plants, and on refrigeration or cold storage equipment. It will resist such environmental contact as humidity, ice, and road salts without hardening, washing off or deteriorating.

Oh, by the way. It is 65% synthetic. Depending on MFG, as in the case's of most military grease, it may/will vary in color.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say that GAA is used on everything here at the facility here, and the wheel bearing grease for the M1 Abrams was the only different grease they stock, but now that the M1's are gone the grease is too, FYI I have 5 gals of GAA for 25 bucks and 5 gal pails of 10wt motor oil for 20 here in NJ, pick up only though...:beer:...for years i have greased all with what ever i got, hope most of it is wifes tails. sometimes it really is....

Would you happen to be going to the Aberdeen show. I would be interested in some of the grease, and have people going to the show who could bring some back for me. If you were going to be there of course.

emr

Im in for that trade >..... !!!!!!!!!:beer: pleaase use e mail because i lose track of threads sometimes. I will inventory what I have now i also have a ton of mil quarts of tranny fluid for the blazers and pickups, can bring to MTA show for sure, maybe aberdeen.....I will put together a list of fluids and will respond by e mail to all who ask for some, and will go from there, ...

Tranny Frank

Grease story

Short Fiber grease
A year ago I set out to find what the semi-fluid lube in the closed steering knuckle of a 1988 Toyota land cruiser, It all started when I called the local dealership and asked what this was. Well I could tell I was not getting the straight scoop from the service manager, and what was indicated to use in the FSM didnt add up. It states to use a molybedendum disulphate lithium chassis grease #2, this term as I found out thru a oil and grease supplier is a rather vague term, This additive is found in all sorts of lube anything from oil or grease of any base and in its pure form used as a dry lube,

I knew something of this sort had to exist since I had seen this form of lube in a viscous coupler but had no idea what it was only that its characteristics where not what you normally encounter with oil, or grease

So I began reading in a old Motors manual to see what the manufactures used in the 60,and 70's. Ford stated to use 1/2 pint of the "proper lube" International indicated to use a viscous chassis lube, Dodge's term was "short fiber wheel bearing lube" all these terms still left me wondering what in the world this lube was, but did conclude that this was a fluid lube from these terms,

Then knowing that this design can be traced back to the WWII era vehicles I acquired a old Jeep book, In it I found the answer, sodium based lubes where used at the factory for initial fill, a #1 or #0 sodium based grease depending on temp.
In the #0 form this is a semi fluid lube, so I began trying to find some of this lube it took a while but I did find some the only way it I was able to get it is in bulk so I saved my pennies and ordered some and sure enough this was the stuff,
In my research I found that Dodge,s term was the best clue as well ''short fiber" is a term associated with the soda soap greases which is another term for sodium based

In reading up on this base of lube it is used in area,s that are prone to leakage and where high service intervals can be obtained, and in this application a slight amount of discharge is desirable to coat the exposed steel ball with a film of lube to prevent rusting and pitting,

Some how this form of lube has made its way down thru history and winds up in odd places, The only reason I have seen that it is no longer widely used is that it is incompatible with any other base of grease, seldom seen and rarely used is how I have seen it described, and I may add even more so misidentified, This form of grease is mostly misdiagnosed as axle seal failure in the closed knuckle application, which is understandable it has that appearance, the only reason that I thought twice about it is because I had seen it in a application where cross contamination could be ruled out. Thanks Frank

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to check into John Deere corn head grease for steering knuckles. It's a grade #0 and is semi-fluid grease. It can be found at almost any JD dealer.

They say it's also good for any slow speed gearbox. I'm rebuilding a winch right now and am thinking about using corn head grease in it to cut down on leaks.

Parker2

Might want to check into John Deere corn head grease for steering knuckles. It's a grade #0 and is semi-fluid grease. It can be found at almost any JD dealer.

They say it's also good for any slow speed gearbox. I'm rebuilding a winch right now and am thinking about using corn head grease in it to cut down on leaks.
Not any John Deere dealer. I went to ours today and they would have to order it from Indiana. We dont have combines around here. We grow strawberries.
Anyway, I went to our Massey Fergusen dealer and bought "Agco gear box grease" (EP-0). It's a lithium based grease and seems to be just like the corn head grease has been described. It's kind of like a thin pudding.

Last edited:

Tranny Frank

Calcium base??

In reading thru this thread and following each link, (a lot of them dont open) i realized that although the MSDS sheet posed about GAA grease list the ingredients as "propriatary" so I really doubt that any one really knows the base of GAA
'
while I read the post from Don Bagwell that Indicates it to Be a lithium base I wonder

Then I am reading a thread in a English sports car forum and theres a guys that works at a company that makes grease for the govt, and he says its "calcium"\

I am more likely to believe the guy that works at the factory making the stuff than a Write up from a out fit selling it , Just my take.

Heres a Good post I found GAA grease calcium based???

"I've mentioned the lithium based greases which are the most typical in the automotive world. Others are bentone (clay), calcium, barium, sodium, polyurea.....OND you are correct - So long as you stay within the family, typically the greases will not react (soap structure) in a way which will compromise the structure. The additive packages can possibly react in a way to degrade the performance. That is - you mix a couple of 2 grade greases together and it looks and feels like a 2 grade grease but the functionality of the grease for its application may no longer meet the specifications for wear, shear, etc.

To types and uses...

The company I used to for made all types of greases - For the government the greases we made were calcium and bentone based. If the military folks remember GAA (Grease Automotive Artillery) it's a calcium based grease and GIA (Grease Instrument Aircraft) is a bentone based with synthetic oil to maintain flow at very low temps.

FormerNewMVGuy

Is calcium based grease compatible with lithium based grease ? I also have some of the bentone based grease , Been using both to pack bearings, as i have GAA in quantity and about a gallon of the bentone based stuff, I like em both , But like the betone based stuff better for bearings,In my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks