• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GETT 23kw 120000btu - Applied Companies

Billy2642

Look for cracked fuel lines. Maybe getting air in somewhere.
so I just replaced every fuel line with brand new ones. Still running on only cold start. When I unplug the governor control and it's on normal, I don't hear any action but when I do it on cold start, I can hear the governor control actuating inside the IP. Any experience with this?

Billy2642

Did you clean out the fuel pump catch? Could be a bad fuel pump. On high idle it's enough to overcome it.
i did clean out the catch by taking out the screw on top and cleaning the screen and inside. I'm going to get a new oring deal for it in the morning just in case since it doesn't look brand new. If that doesn't do the trick, what else could it be? How do I get the governor actuator to show voltage when on normal so it will actuate the IP and allow it to start?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The manual isn't good for much. Usually screw the sender in till it touches the back off 3/4 turn. You can put a multimeter on ac and crank it. See if you get a few volts.

Billy2642

So I unplugged the magnetic pickup. When I cold start, the generator still ran and the magnetic pickup read 10.75 volts AC. Switched it to normal and it only cranks and shows 6.75 volts AC. I'm guessing the difference is the rpm but I didn't expect it to start either way. Any thoughts?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Make sure the signal is making its way to the governor module. For some reason the governor isn't opening the fuel solenoid if there is only voltage at the solenoid when you crank on cold start. Could be a bad connection somewhere. Could be the governor. The manual doesn't have step by step troubleshooting like the mep manuals. It's more of pick and swap diagnostics.

Billy2642

Make sure the signal is making its way to the governor module. For some reason the governor isn't opening the fuel solenoid if there is only voltage at the solenoid when you crank on cold start. Could be a bad connection somewhere. Could be the governor. The manual doesn't have step by step troubleshooting like the mep manuals. It's more of pick and swap diagnostics.
I'm guessing that module is under the control panel? Any idea on what pins to check?

Billy2642

Not really.
si looking under the panel on the speed control unit, pins a and b are labeled actuator. When the selector switch is on normal, I don't get any voltage at those 2 pins. When it's on cold start, I get 22 volts. Would this be an indication that the speed control box is bad? I've rotated all relays around in case one was bad and no change. I'd be hesitant to put 24 volts straight to those a and b pins when it's on normal to see if it will work because I'm afraid of frying something

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can take the fuel solenoid out and it will run. When you crank on normal setting there should be voltage at the actuator contacts. The speed controller varies the voltage to control engine speed vs load so you can't just apply voltage and expect it to work. Gotta look at the schematic in the manual and figure out what sensors will prevent start or swap in a known good speed control and see if that's the issue.

Billy2642

You can take the fuel solenoid out and it will run. When you crank on normal setting there should be voltage at the actuator contacts. The speed controller varies the voltage to control engine speed vs load so you can't just apply voltage and expect it to work. Gotta look at the schematic in the manual and figure out what sensors will prevent start or swap in a known good speed control and see if that's the issue.

Do you or someone yiu know have one one of these sets on hand to test if there is voltage at pins a and b on the speed box when it's on normal?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you don't have voltage to the actuator the engine cannot run. Actuator is the fuel solenoid. It retracts with voltage so the fuel rail can move open. That's why if you remove the actuator the fuel rail will move full left and it will run. The system varies the voltage to the actuator to control engine speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks