• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug life span?

Hasdrubal

On my last set of AC60G's half only lasted a little over 4 years, while 3 of them are still going strong at almost 5 and a half years. Replace them when they fail. When you start up, you'll notice a rough idle and white smoke out of one side exhaust , thats the side to check.

M1008driver

On the AC60Gs do you have to change out the connectors?
I would say it is worth the trouble because if you don't you have to grind the gp's down to fit. I payed a shop to change my plugs and the connectors the first time. It cost me $112. I have no intention of ever using Wellman again so it was worth it to me.

DIESELGREEN

Just to be clear here... Can I directly change over to the ac60g'S without any other mods? If i understand correctly they burn a different temp than the wellmans. Also, I would prefer them to be compatible with the stock relay and controller card.

caladin

Just to be clear here... Can I directly change over to the ac60g'S without any other mods? If i understand correctly they burn a different temp than the wellmans. Also, I would prefer them to be compatible with the stock relay and controller card.
I had the same thought. Also does it matter if you stay with 24v or got to 12V?

SGT Estum

I had the same thought. Also does it matter if you stay with 24v or got to 12V?
Stock glow plugs are 12V. AC60G are 12V too so it shouldn't matter with regard to voltage.

Note that the 24V is run through a big resistor behind the air filter housing to bring it down to 12V before it gets to the glow plugs. This, instead of running 12V directly off of one battery, is so you can get properly jumped from the 24V NATO slave cable recepticle.

caladin

Stock glow plugs are 12V. AC60G are 12V too so it shouldn't matter with regard to voltage.

Note that the 24V is run through a big resistor behind the air filter housing to bring it down to 12V before it gets to the glow plugs. This, instead of running 12V directly off of one battery, is so you can get properly jumped from the 24V NATO slave cable recepticle.
Ok thanks I was looking to pickup the Quick Heat glow plugs from kennedydiesel.com but was concerened when I say 12volt on them.

"This plug fits all civilian (12 volt) GM 6.2, and 6.5 diesels with flat blade terminals. Heats fast like the 9g, but will not swell or burnout."

OL AG '89

If you change out the glowplugs and don't use the resistor, the most all the glowplugs can pull is 12volts. If you keep the resistor setup, when one plug fails you reduce the resistance in the entire circuit and increase voltage to remaining glowplugs. If a second fails the voltage goes up again and so on. The resistor elimination, tap 12 volts off the terminal next to the relay, guarantees no increase in voltage above the rated 12 volts. I just completed the bypass, and have a little piece of mind.

mdeboard

When you bypass the resistor, is there any difference in running the wire directly from the battery or the 12v junction next to the GPR? Is one better/safer than the other or is it just a matter of preference?

Last edited:

OL AG '89

You CAN'T run it directly from the battery as connected. You will get 24 volts, if I understand your question. If you run from the terminal block you only get 12 volts. If you are wanting to run from one battery you have to ensure that you are only getting 12 volts, not the combined 24.

mdeboard

AC 60G glow plugs are a self limiting design, meaning it takes longer to blow out. BUT.... They take LONGER to glow up. Meaning they do not work well with some factory controllers that have a pre set time for the glow duration. Kennedy Diesel makes a fast glow plug that resits burn out and I have used in all my 6.2 diesel engines with good results. Bosch makes a good replacement self limiter as well. The factor AC delco ones my friend bought last week were made in Mexico, already two have failed. Take an ohm meter, ground it and test every glow plug. ( glow plug must be unplugged from the harness. A good reading as per the delco manual is 1.5 ohms. If you read nothing, its a bad glow plug. If you read short it has swelled inside and may brake off during removal ! Be careful !

And as many of you know with ANY glow plug based 6.2 diesel do not use starting fluid ! If the glow plugs are working and the fluid hits them, it causes an explosion in the pre chambers. Blowing the inserts down into the cylinders. Destroying the engine!

I have gotten picky, I mostly buy the Kennedy diesel ones. Anti-seize is nice in small amounts , otherwise it affects the heat transfer to the block to allow uniform bleed off.

WARWAG

I have gotten picky, I mostly buy the Kennedy diesel ones. Anti-seize is nice in small amounts , otherwise it affects the heat transfer to the block to allow uniform bleed off.

Since I already ordered them I will give them a try. Next time around I will go with the Kennedy diesel ones. As far as the anti seize I will go sparingly. Thanks for all the input everyone.

DIESELGREEN

This has been a good thread. Seems like a whole lot of beating a dead horse to death on the topic of the glow plug system, but for good reason. I am going to look into the kennedy diesel plugs now, as I have found many different opinions on many different plugs and manufacturers. The best looking constant so far has been for kennedy...so here goes!

WARWAG

I know what you mean DIESELGREEN. In my observations though I have found the AC60Gs to be the top pick in most threads. My next set will be Kennedy's after I go through the AC60Gs. I will report back on how the AC60Gs perform. After I install a set of Kennedy's I will do the same. I will most likely start another thread for the comparison test. If I pick up a 2nd CUCV (which I will soon) then I can have a side by side comparison. [thumbzup]