• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug life span?

WARWAG

My truck had wellmans and 7 out of 8 I believe were dead. They were not swollen so removing them a snap. I believe people run into problems when they keep the old Glow Plugs in not knowing how to change them or even the signs of when to change them. A quick meter reading will show you when there bad. Either way use them for a year and replace with whatever happens to be the best plug at that time. The AC60s are a good glow plug. I wouldnt mind finding a faster heating plug but I know the AC60s are top of the line and dont swell.

bevanet

I've pulled some of them out and there was nothing left of the heating element. Truck still seems fine, so it must have burned up and when out the exhaust.

Iamnewatthis

My 60g's ran good at first, now after only 3 months they are toast.
Not swollen, just dont get hot.
It was rough idle yesterday and and then wouldnt start with no wait light coming on.
What does that indicate?

ETA; did a couple of tests from the sticky FAQ, its the controller card, not the glow plugs, and not the relay.

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

I've read a bunch of posts and read the TM's trying to figure this out. I have a 84 M1009. After I got it I replaced the Wellman 070 glow plugs with AC 60g's. There were a few blown out. The AC's lasted about 6 months and died. I did some checking and realized I only had 8 volts coming out of the gp relay. I changed it out with a BWD S603 and changed plugs again, this time changing the wire connectors to the 1/4 in. Again 6 months later the plugs were gone. I cussed myself and did the resistor bypass and changed plugs again. I went directly to the battery with my cable, getting 12.6 volts to the relay. Here it is 6 months later and they are again gone. I've got 12.6 volts at the relay and when energized 12.6 coming out of it. When I check this I have my ground on the engine so my grounding to the engine should be good. I've cleaned all the connections I can find also. The wait light stays on for 10-12 seconds, the same as it did the first time I changed the plugs. I'm using the glow plug relay card, no push button installed. I'm at a loss. I don't want to/can't be replacing plugs every 6 months. My "financial adviser" also doesn't seem to be happy with that idea either. What's everybody finding on the using the Kennedy Diesel's or the Bosch plugs? Any other plugs somebody's having luck with? Any other ideas on what the devil could be happening? Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying that all 8 fail each time, in 6 months?(after doing a 12v supply)

Do you let your engine warm up for a few minutes, before driving off?

Have you had any GP tips burned off?

Does your truck smoke at atart up?(cold)

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

I"m not sure if they all go at once or just start going. I should check them closer, I check when it's cranking more than I think it should on start up. So when I do check there will be 7 toasted. I did the resistor bypass when I changed to this batch of plugs.

Tonight I checked 3 and 2 were blown, so I cussed (6 months again!) and shut the hood. The reason I checked them is it's cranking more on a cold start than it should and it's 40 degrees out. In the past, no tips burned, no problem pulling them out. (no swelling)

I'll let it warm up a couple of minutes before I take off, longer if it's cold out. But we haven't really had a winter here this year. I always wait until the plugs are done cycling after its running. That just takes a minute or two.

When the plugs are new my "normal" cold start up procedure. Wait for the wait light to go out, hit the starter, after 3 or 4 whirs give it a little fuel and it would pop off. Then little or no smoke. Lately it was cranking more so I was trying more fuel and when it would pop there would be quite a bit of smoke. On a warm start it'll fire right up and no smoke.
I appreciate the quick reply.

Update: 3/30

I rechecked the plugs and as I said, I had checked 3 and 2 were blown. I checked the rest of them and found only 1 other bad one. So, I have 3 blown after 6 months this time using the AC's. I installed another ground from the front battery to the alternator bracket just to eliminate that possibility. I ordered the Bosch plugs today to see if they last any better. I had to swallow hard when I ordered them, $3 per higher but if they last it'll be money well spent.

I'll try and remember to post in 6 months on how they've done.

Last edited:

WARWAG

I"m not sure if they all go at once or just start going. I should check them closer, I check when it's cranking more than I think it should on start up. So when I do check there will be 7 toasted. I did the resistor bypass when I changed to this batch of plugs.

Tonight I checked 3 and 2 were blown, so I cussed (6 months again!) and shut the hood. The reason I checked them is it's cranking more on a cold start than it should and it's 40 degrees out. In the past, no tips burned, no problem pulling them out. (no swelling)

I'll let it warm up a couple of minutes before I take off, longer if it's cold out. But we haven't really had a winter here this year. I always wait until the plugs are done cycling after its running. That just takes a minute or two.

When the plugs are new my "normal" cold start up procedure. Wait for the wait light to go out, hit the starter, after 3 or 4 whirs give it a little fuel and it would pop off. Then little or no smoke. Lately it was cranking more so I was trying more fuel and when it would pop there would be quite a bit of smoke. On a warm start it'll fire right up and no smoke.
I appreciate the quick reply.

Update: 3/30

I rechecked the plugs and as I said, I had checked 3 and 2 were blown. I checked the rest of them and found only 1 other bad one. So, I have 3 blown after 6 months this time using the AC's. I installed another ground from the front battery to the alternator bracket just to eliminate that possibility. I ordered the Bosch plugs today to see if they last any better. I had to swallow hard when I ordered them, $3 per higher but if they last it'll be money well spent.

I'll try and remember to post in 6 months on how they've done.

Yes please repost in the 6 month time frame. I would be interested to know. When I get home I will check my plugs. I havent checked them since they were installed.

sierrajcharlie

Will do. Since I posted this I've added a manual override. I haven't used it but it's there just in case. I saw on here somewhere and heard from another source that the modern gp's should only heat for 6 seconds. More than that is "bad" for the modern plugs. How long do everyone else's cycle for? I did check them not to long ago and so far they are all alive. I do have the Busch's instead of the AC's now.

It doesn't pop right off. Hit the switch, let if whir a couple three times and let off. Not enough to cycle plugs, wait a couple of seconds and hit it again. Shel'll pop off in a couple of whirs. I've checked my "glass ball" in the ip and that was clear. I don't have any leaks around the ip so I'm really thinking about putting in an electric pump to take that possibility away. I know that's not affecting the plugs, just threw that in there.

WARWAG

I do get a pretty good NAPA discount through my Snowcat Business. Im not sure though which ones I picked up. I didnt know there was a diffrence. I plan on changing them out some time next year before winter. Just to be on the safe side. I will be going thru my Glow plug system as well. I dont have any "known" problems as she always just fires right up. I have also moved to Arizona and the winters at hom are now much more mild compared to Nevada. No more -30/-40! :)

sierrajcharlie

NAPA sells two verisons of the things; one is alum core, the other is copper core. Unless you receive a deep NAPA discount, your price reflects the alum core plugs. Beware.
Ahhh.... what!?

Other than price is there any way to tell them apart? Looking at the online store they only list 1 AC60G. At the store they never asked me if I wanted the aluminum or copper core or said which priced one you wan

This was taken from the Bosch's website. Older engines used a glow period of up to 21 seconds where as more modern engines use around a 6 to 8 second heat period and provide after glow at a reduced voltage. If the pump timing is not correct or the engine is over fueled this can also damage the glow plugs with increased vibration and heat.

Does anyone out there know if the newly manufactured glow plug cards change the characteristics of the heat cycle?

Hasdrubal

"NAPA sells two verisons of the things; one is alum core, the other is copper core."

I'm going to call BS on this. Never heard of this, or seen any reference to 2 different types and have run AC60's for 7 years. If you've got info that we have never heard of, by all means share it. I would frankly be shocked to find out this was fact and I had never been aware of it. Its more likely that you've got your info incorrect. In that case, don't post incorrect information that others will take as fact. People come hear to learn, they dont need to be misled.

My AC60's are lasting between 4-7 years. Although I suspect the short 4 year span on some was was caused by a failed temperature sensor that left my cold-idle on full time. Probably drove a couple of weeks before replacing it, so this may have been the reason for the early failure. For price, they list here for $35 each, my best price was $22 hence I get them off e-bay for $9 each

As for burn time, if the light goes off after 7 seconds, I hold my manual push-button for another 7. Starts instantly, then I afterburn for another 14 seconds. You can hear the idle note smooth out after this.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

What you "really" do is irrelevant. You could be a particle physicist and that wouldn't make a difference. I'm not having a go at you here. Why not post info on the two different types of plugs and their part numbers. Whenever I've ordered AC60's there was never an option of two different types. That goes for all the other people I know up here of who have ordered them also. This is completely unknown to me or anyone else on this forum judging by all the glowplug posts I've read over the years.

Hasdrubal

What happened? Checked the thread and he's deleted his posts. I got a real laugh out of the " what I do for a living bit" No I didn't check it out. I suppose you guys can stop searching for the mythical good plug, must of drove the parts guys crazy.

Got a reply from AC Delco technical assistance today ; Thank you for your enquiry. We have consulted the product team and the 60G glow plug does not have two versions.

As well, a little common sense; aluminum has a melting point of 1220 °F, and the AC60Gs max. out at 1850 degrees F.

sierrajcharlie

Well gents it's not quite 6 months but here's an update. I checked the plugs and they're all still with me. That makes me a happy camper. I have advanced the timing about an 1/8 inch (a month ago and that's all I could move it). Starting after that has improved. I've stopped buying fuel at the local convenience store and getting it at Farm Service. It's out of the way but they have better fuel (Farm Service Gold) and it's always 6 cents/gallon cheaper. I'm thinking of turning the IP back to where I started to see if it starts just as good now. I was hoping for a big increase in mpg but haven't seen it. Had a small increase up to around 17.5 mpg. My daily to work is 8 one way, not really enough even to get everything warmed up good.

A buddy with an 09 has also been loosing the AC's so he's changed to the Bosch's also. It hasn't been that long ago so we're waiting on that outcome.

So, in my world the Bosch plugs are the way to go. Your results may vary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks