• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goldneagle's M116A1 Generator Trailer restore and modification thread

goldneagle

I have a M116A1 trailer I just finished restoring. I am getting a MEP002 5KW diesel generator that I plan to install on it. I am also getting a 55 gallon fuel tank from a M931 tractor. I want to set up the trailer so it will tow properly. How much tongue weight should I have when done properly.

I will be adding some smaller items to the trailer as well. A retractable cord reel, small type 3R circuit breaker panel, some power outlets and ground rod storage. There were 6 Jerry Can holders with the trailer that were mounted 3 per fender. I may put some water cans in them. Also need to install fire extinguishers on the trailer.

Any suggestions as to items to install on the trailer as well as how to lay it out ? Here are some pictures of the trailer after restoration:

Attachments

KaiserM109

I think you should go on this site in the WTB section and see if anyone is scrapping a later M101 or M116 trailer with a surge brake hitch. I have 2 M101s, an older one that I built from Govt. scrap and a newer one completely original with a functional surge brake. I put lots of miles on the old one with some marginally heavy loads with no surge brakes and some on the new one. There is a world of difference in handling and safety. I got a brake assembly from a guy turning an M116 into a motorcycle trailer which I am in the process of installing on the old one. With the weight of the generator, you will want it!!

That series of trailers handles great!

BTW, nice cleanup work!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
General rule of thumb is 10% of total trailer weight as tongue weight. Going heavier is always better as long as you aren't towing with something short and light.

goldneagle

General rule of thumb is 10% of total trailer weight as tongue weight. Going heavier is always better as long as you aren't towing with something short and light.
It will be towed with my M1008 or heavier vehicle if it ever goes on the road. Thank you for the info.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks awesome! Do you plan on carrying a spare tire? What about an outboard fuel tank? Do you have the bulk head for the front? Plan on covering it(cargo cover)?

goldneagle

Looks awesome! Do you plan on carrying a spare tire? What about an outboard fuel tank? Do you have the bulk head for the front? Plan on covering it(cargo cover)?
Thanks for the compliment! Would be nice to have a spare tire for the trailer. Right now I have one SuperLug tire and one NDT type tire that has serious cracking in it. Looking for another 9.00-16 SuperLug tire and another complete spare. I do not have the bulkhead or cargo setup for the trailer right now. Would love to get some bows. I can use sheet Aluminum over 3/4" pressure treated plywood for the bulkhead or 5/4" treated decking boards. Outboard fuel tank? As in red plastic boat fuel tank? I plan to use a 55 gallon M931 fuel tank.

robson1015

Goldneagle- Very nice restoration! I placed all the equipment on my M116A3 and balanced it till I could pick up the tongue without too much strain. You will want the surge brakes if you plan to tow it very far. If you can find some runflats you won't need the spare wheel.
IMGP2265.jpgIMGP2269.jpg

goldneagle

Goldneagle- Very nice restoration! I placed all the equipment on my M116A3 and balanced it till I could pick up the tongue without too much strain. You will want the surge brakes if you plan to tow it very far. If you can find some runflats you won't need the spare wheel.
View attachment 609931View attachment 609932
Wow that is a nice setup you got there! I think an A3 upgrade is more work than I want to do at this time. Might be cheaper to replace the axle with an electric brake CIVI axle. I already have electric brake controller on my CUCV.

My main purpose for the trailer is for moving the MEP002 generator in my yard. It will be a backup to my 30KW generator. (if it fails) Redundant backup power is important in a hurricane zone.

goldneagle

Looks like a real nice jack and a good paint job on the trailer. What are all those circular rubber things on your table behind the jack?
Holes drilled out of tires. Can use them as bumpers, vibration dampeners for equipment, and other applications. The tires get drilled so they can be used as bumpers on tugboats. String the heavy rope through the holes in the sidewalls . I was sorting out the different sizes. Need any?

Guyfang

Staff member
Hey partner!
The surge brake is a must if you drive much. And even if you only want to move it around the yard, the rear safety jack, is a MUST. The bracket is there, but I don't see the step jack. You only need to jump up on the back one time and have it tip, to change your mind. You can see it in post 7, picture on the right.

goldneagle

Hey partner!
The surge brake is a must if you drive much. And even if you only want to move it around the yard, the rear safety jack, is a MUST. The bracket is there, but I don't see the step jack. You only need to jump up on the back one time and have it tip, to change your mind. You can see it in post 7, picture on the right.
Actually the rear stabilizer leg is there. Had to look way under to see it. Must be the angle that keeps it from showing up in my pictures. I agree with you about using it so the trailer doesn't tilt back accidentally.

goldneagle

Another update on my trailer project. I fabricated and installed the front wall.

I picked up a sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood and some 1/4" pressure treated wood strips. I had the plywood was cut to the proper dimensions (64" by 26" tall). In order to make a snugger fit of the wall piece inside the outer channel, I glued and nailed the 1/4" wood strips around the perimeter of the plywood.

All I have to do is to drill the hole at the top of the side channels and install a 5/16" bolts to secure the plywood in place.

I have not decided if I will prime and paint the plywood. Any opinions?

The front wall gives me an open slate on adding tool boxes and other accessories to the trailer. Plenty of strength in the 3/4" plywood.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I don't belive the tongue weight should exceed 500LBS but 10% minimum sounds right. You've got to have enough tongue weight to keep the trailer tracking correctly. If it's too light it'll start fish tailing. It can get real violent real quick with no good way to stop it.

Some of the guys that work with me found it out the hard way less than a month ago. They drove a Bobcat on a too light of a trailer and then didn't drive it on far enough to get enough tongue weight. They didn't make it to far out of town, gave no warning. Blowed 2 tires, and put the trailer in the ditch. They didn't even have it tied down. They were very lucky, kept it all right side up and no one else around to get hit.

goldneagle

I don't belive the tongue weight should exceed 500LBS but 10% minimum sounds right. You've got to have enough tongue weight to keep the trailer tracking correctly. If it's too light it'll start fish tailing. It can get real violent real quick with no good way to stop it.

Some of the guys that work with me found it out the hard way less than a month ago. They drove a Bobcat on a too light of a trailer and then didn't drive it on far enough to get enough tongue weight. They didn't make it to far out of town, gave no warning. Blowed 2 tires, and put the trailer in the ditch. They didn't even have it tied down. They were very lucky, kept it all right side up and no one else around to get hit.
I think the 2 main factors at work in your example is: 1) too light of a trailer 2)Never secured the Bobcat to the trailer. Even if the load was moved further forward the weight of the cargo would probably still have blown the tires. Not securing the equipment could have caused the Bobcat to move and cause an imbalance of the trailer.

I have seen trailers on the interstate fish-tailing due to poor distribution of weight. That is why I asked about laying out the equipment on the trailer so it would tow correctly if I ever took it on the road.

Ford Mechanic

I have seen trailers on the interstate fish-tailing due to poor distribution of weight. That is why I asked about laying out the equipment on the trailer so it would tow correctly if I ever took it on the road.
Yeah, alot of things were done wrong. I knew better as my dad does commercial hauling for his auction buiness. But I was not involved. .... The trailer was not that much too overloaded. It was a tandem trailer, we had a guy following also. His statement was it blew the 2 tires when the trailer was on 2 wheels. The Bobcat also got on 2 wheels. Like I said I don't know how they kept it right side up. Bent the 2 rims pretty good too.

A Bobcat like a forklift has alot of extra weight in the rear that is taken for granted and not easily noticed. The weight is counter balance for the potential load in the bucket. So un loaded the center of gravity is further rearward than they perceived it. On top of possible movement further rearward due to the not being properly secured. They showed us after the incedent where it was on the trailer, it was clearly to far too the rear.

That crew hauls a ditch witch around fairly often but it has to go completely forward on the same trailer to fit so the distribution is correct even though they aren't thinking about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks