• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M52A2 restore thread

Restore or Part Out the M52A2?

• Restore the M52A2

Votes: 40 97.6%
  • Part out the M52A2

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

goldneagle

I purchased an M52A2 from Justin Wehring this week. It arrived on Thursday Night. I only had 4 pictures of it to base my purchase on. Anyway it looks like it's gonna need a lot of work to get it to a safe usable state. It runs but doesn't stop! I am trying to decide wether to restore it or part it out? I took a lot of pictures of it so you can get a good idea what I am up against. Any advise and offer of parts are welcome. i will add a brief list of what needs to be done at first glance and the parts I will be looking for.

Attachments

3dAngus

I just pulled Tim's M-185 from Robins and it would not stop either, even after I replaced the kill cable. The plunger at the end of the cable near the gas pedal spring should pull out by hand, even with the kill wire attached, and it wouldn't. You probably need look at it and see if it will pull out. I just put on the brake, put it in first gear, and let out the clutch to stop it.

Looks like a nice rig. Good luck with the restoration.

gmayor

M52a2

I have really enjoyed having my M52a2. I have worked really slow but it is getting there. They are getting rare to find in good shape.

197thhhc

Just from what I see it doesnt look that bad. The paint stripping would be the nastiest part. How is the cab and interior. I wouldnt hesitate to restore it or it would make a great bob candidate You could leave the spare carrier and single it out with a M105 bed you might not even have to cut the frame.

You added the cab pics after I started replying. I still think it would be a good project to restore.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I just pulled Tim's M-185 from Robins and it would not stop either, even after I replaced the kill cable. The plunger at the end of the cable near the gas pedal spring should pull out by hand, even with the kill wire attached, and it wouldn't. You probably need look at it and see if it will pull out. I just put on the brake, put it in first gear, and let out the clutch to stop it.

Looks like a nice rig. Good luck with the restoration.
I know what to do with the kill lever. I had the same issue problem with my M109A2 when I picked it up at Camp Shelby.

When I said it didn't stop I meant NO BRAKES!

Attachments

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it does need some work, it is by no means unsaveable. I've seem showroom trucks come from much less to start with. These are getting harder to come by, so I'd say take your time and go for it.:grd:

3dAngus

I didn't vote on your poll because it doesn't cover all the bases. They rarely do. I would like to comment though, not knowing how deep your pockets are.

I saw a M52A2 on truckpaper.com and it was fully restored. I could see how really beautiful they can be. It was for sale for $21K. Not sure if it will sell or not as I am not familiar with it. But I would share my opinion here.

Can you recover your money with the restoration costs? Are you in a position to buy another, and use this one for the necessary parts. It looks like an overwhelming job, or would be for me, and I know you are far more talented so that may not apply. But I think what I would do is try to get another first, pick the best of the parts for both, and sell off the parts machine left. Good luck whatever you decide. I know you'll be happy either way with your decision.

(Oops, didn't know you meant brakes. Sorry)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If it needs so much work as you say, and don't sound very happy, Why did you buy it

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really do not think it looks that bad. From the pictures it is a better starting place that Squirt was when she came home, well mostly home, she did not make it into the shop.....
Just remember, this is a 5-ton, big trucks make big projects, go slow and steady. Sure seems like most of the parts are there, and the rust is not overwhelming.

I say GO FOR IT, just do not be in a hurry.

vtdeucedriver

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!! I love mine!!!!

These trucks were the WORKHORSES in Vietnam. I have MANY pics of these trucks hauling material with fenders being held on with rebar reinforcements, cab doors armored and just wore out engines. Imagine sitting inside that truck hauling 5000 gallons of JP4 on a dirt road with potholes while climbing a 2 lane road up a mountain pass that has the grave sites of 300 French soldiers from the previous war. Convoy speed is 25 MPH and its 90 out and the truck ahead of you is picking up dust and you can barely see ahead. You look at the small M-16 and knowing that "he" likes to carry a RPG and "YOUR 5000 Gallons" is a BIG TARGET!!! The engine is really pulling now........The unreliable Multifuel is turning up 2500 rpms, you dont want to let it lag as you will slow up the convoy on another shift at a lower gear. You finally crest the hill and now back off the power and you become realise that maybe you need some faith in god and the mechanics back at 5th Maint BN got the brakes working again!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

goldneagle

Looks like the truck was a Air Force truck. Under the badly pealing paint it has a blue grey glossy paint. I tried to remove some of the flaking paint with the garden hose and it did remove some of it. That is how bad the bond is of the flaking paint to the undercoat. I was thinking of trying to use my 2500 PSI pressure washer with the rotary 0 degree tip to strip as much loose paint off as possible.

Next is to work on the Engine Kill Lever and the brake system. This way the truck will be drivable, and stop-able before I work on the shell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks