• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M923 recovery and modification thread

goldneagle

Good news today. I took the truck out for a quick spin (about 10 miles) and everything seems to work great. Engine temperature stayed around 180 or less according to the gauge. I also checked under the truck and no oil leaking. I loaded up the winch and a small gang box on the cargo bed.

I got lucky and ran into the UPS driver at the kangaroo gas station. So I was able to retrieve the package from AMAZON early. I had 5 Plano ammo boxes in that package. Just in time to load them up with tools for the trip Saturday. They fit easily into the new tool box I modified. I got 4 of them into the tool box and also a gallon of Oil in front of them. Pictures attached.

Attachments

goldneagle

Now that the recovery of the camper is done it's time to get back to my tool box project. I removed the under truck box from my Deuce. I measured the space on top of the tool box on the passenger side of the truck.

I started by removing the door and hinge. I also removed the slide lock. After unbolting the hardware I used the angle grinder to cut the support angles off the box. Then i ground the welds smooth. Once I had all the angles removed I measured and cut the box narrower to fit the new space. Once I removed a section of the box I rewelded the remainder back together and ground the welds smooth.

Next i started to work on the door. I took the original door and cut it to fit the new box. I redesigned the door to be similar to the one on the large tool box on the truck. (The original door design was always leaking) Tomorrow weather permitting I will continue with the tool box project.
.Tool_box_1.jpgTool_box_1a.jpgTool_box_1b.jpgTool_box_1c.jpgTool_box_1e.jpgTool_box_1f.jpgTool_box_1g.jpgTool_box_1h.jpgTool_box_1i.jpgTool_box_1j.jpg

Last edited:

goldneagle

Things went really well today! Set up my equipment and tools. Prepped and welded the hinge to the door and then to the top of the box. I used the existing screw holes to well the hinge to the sheet-metal.

Toolbox_2b.jpgToolbox_2a.jpgToolbox_2.jpg

I decided to use the original slide-bolt to hold the lid shut. I also added a heavy duty metal loop for the padlock. I used a drill to make 2 holes an then used a cut off wheel to cut a slit between the two holes. That made a slot through the lid for the metal loop to go through. I reused the corner hanger bracket I cut off yesterday as the metal loop for the lock. I lined it up and welded it to the box.

Toolbox_Locks_2b.jpgToolbox_Locks_2.jpgToolbox_Locks_2a.jpgToolbox_Locks_2c.jpg

I also used a piece of the old door to reinforce the new door.

Toolbox_Reinforce_2.jpg

I ground the welds clean. I then got out my DA sander and sanded the entire box. Once i blew off the dust i used Metal Etching Primer of the bare metal.

goldneagle

I then primed the entire box with red primer.

Toolbox_3.jpgToolbox_3a.jpgToolbox_3b.jpg

I applied some Seam Sealer to the area over the top hinge to keep the water from getting under it. I painted the tool box with green paint. You will see some odd blue-green paint in areas that will not be seen. I did that to save of the Gillespie Green CARC Substitute.

Toolbox_3c.jpgToolbox_3d.jpgToolbox_3e.jpgToolbox_3f.jpgToolbox_3g.jpg

I had to remove the bow support bolt from above the large tool box. It is in the way of the box and no longer needed -since I can let the bows sit on top of the tool box instead. I also hd to remove the side marker light bracket and grind some metal off the bottom edge. There was about 3/8" metal lip under the light that interfered with the new tool box. I reinstalled it once the tool box was in. Just clears it perfectly.

Installed_1.jpgInstalled_1a.jpg

goldneagle

Looking good, locked and loaded!
Actually the newest one is empty and unlocked due to paint still drying. Thanks for all your positive and encouraging comments. I am excited to finally get the tool box project complete. Next is CB antenna and radio/CB install. Oh ye sun visor for the driver.

goldneagle

How can you even hear the CB while the engine is running. I know its almost impossible to even carry on a conversation in the truck while the engine is running.
If I can't hear it the way it comes I can add an external speaker. (I can hear the navigation system when she talks (Garmin Nuvii)) If you let off the gas a bit it's quieter in the cab. Just made a 450 mile round trip in the M923 this weekend. Seems like the wind noise from the windows (don't fit tight) was worse than the engine noise.

True. Or you could use some aviation headphones if you want to get really fancy with one pair and just tie it into the CB radio. Then if you put a loud speaker on the outside of the truck then everything would work through the headphones. I dont know why you would need to but it sure would be cool if someone walked in front of the truck and then it just starts talking. I have always wanted to do that and just freak a few people out. This is just me using my over imaginitive brain which isnt always good.:doghead:

goldneagle

True. Or you could use some aviation headphones if you want to get really fancy with one pair and just tie it into the CB radio. Then if you put a loud speaker on the outside of the truck then everything would work through the headphones. I dont know why you would need to but it sure would be cool if someone walked in front of the truck and then it just starts talking. I have always wanted to do that and just freak a few people out. This is just me using my over imaginitive brain which isnt always good.:doghead:
Funny you mentioned the CB external speaker. I used to have a CB in my car when I was still in High School. It was very popular then. I was tempted a few times to put an external speaker in. Decided against it -since I would be tempted to tell idiots off for bad driving etc.

Danger Ranger

Don't get external speaker and PA speaker confused.
Ext speaker is for a louder speaker in your cab for you to hear. It replaces the CBs built in speaker.
PA speaker is for your broadcasting out loud. They go outside.

I myself am doing this backwards right now. I am using my waterproof ext speaker for a PA speaker, only until I get my real PA speaker up and running.

Just a thought.

goldneagle

Don't get external speaker and PA speaker confused.
Ext speaker is for a louder speaker in your cab for you to hear. It replaces the CBs built in speaker.
PA speaker is for your broadcasting out loud. They go outside.

I myself am doing this backwards right now. I am using my waterproof ext speaker for a PA speaker, only until I get my real PA speaker up and running.

Just a thought.
Thanks for clarifying. Will check the CB radio tomorrow to see what plugs it has on it. (I forgot a lot about CBs. I used them back in 1975-76. long time ago!)

Danger Ranger

I am running a Cobra 29 wxnwst with the ext speaker the wrong way, and a Firestik antenna. Give me a shout if ou have any questions. You seem to have most of this under control though. Im just glad to help.

If it is a modern (recent, like in the last 10 years) CB then it will probably have 2 audio (headphone style plug) ports in the back, 1 for an ext speaker, and 1 for a PA. Essentially an input and output. Plus the power cord plug.

goldneagle

Was 66 degrees out today. Repacked thee tool boxes and added a few items. Still more room left for stuff. Afterwards I decided to fix the small 2 foot picket on the passenger side. It was the only part of the bench seat/picket that is not fiberglass slats. I also wanted to move the damaged bow from the cab side of the truck to the middle. The bow is not curved properly and made the fit of the end curtain too tight. Third part was to measure the antenna mount in order to fabricate an adapter plate to fit the CB whip antenna.

I took off the bolts that held the wood slats in place. I cut, drill and bolted the replacement fiberglass slats to the metal posts. Had to use the dead blow hammer to get the posts of the picket into the slots on the fixed section of wall. I swapped the center bow for the one by the cab. I used some cardboard to make a quick templet of the top of the antenna mount. I reinstalled the cargo cover and closed the tailgate.

I found a heavy duty piece of sheet-metal that was the corner support of the passenger bench seat. I measured and marked the holes for the antenna mount. Will drill it out tomorrow. I ordered the cable and adapter for the antenna on AMAZON tonight. Will be here Thursday. I will attempt to mount the antenna Thursday or Friday weather permitting.

I also have a Marine CD receiver with weatherproof speakers coming. Will be mounting it and the CB radio in the cab above the windshield. I have not decided yet if I will build an overhead console all the way across the front or just mount the radios in the center.

I am open to opinions.

goldneagle

Today was my birthday so I decided to take it easy. I dug up my CB radio. A 7 year old Cobra unit. I cut and drilled the metal piece I had marked yesterday. Sanded it clean and attached the antenna base to it. Then I cut one of the ends off the CB cable and attached the provided eye terminals on the wires. Wire fit nice. Waiting for the radio and parts to come in so I can install all the radios at the same time.

Around the time I was finishing the antenna connections Jeff Davis showed up. Spent some time showing him the MV and new camper acquired. We came up with a neat setup designs for the container hauler trailer. But that is another project!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks