• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Deal or Not

Goose2448

There is some rust. My truck is great for the rust factor and it has a few small rust through spots in the normal places. Great solid truck. There are no rust through spots that I can see. I have looked at the entire truck, and it is in great shape. The paint is just old and can be replaced.

greenjeepster

It is a 60s model truck. That can be told by the tach being mounted separate of the speedo. It means the truck was originally a gas powered truck and has been upgraded to multi-fuel and had the tach added.

stumps

It is a 60s model truck. That can be told by the tach being mounted separate of the speedo. It means the truck was originally a gas powered truck and has been upgraded to multi-fuel and had the tach added.
One worry about the gassers that got a new MF engine, and the bodgered on tach, is they may not have gotten a new transmission. An MF engine used on a gasser's transmission will have a top speed of 45 MPH in 5th gear.

If the engine has been Reman'd, it will have a metal tag attached to the block near the engine manufacturer's identification tag. It will be viewable when you open the right side access panel (just below the hood).

-Chuck

Goose2448

I was thinking that maybe they replaced the dash with a older one and had to put the tac down there. The Plates on the dash and some of the parts on it look like a newer truck. I not an expert just stating what I see. The Trans Tag says about not going over 55MPH. The Trans does look like a Spicer 3053A form what I can tell.

greenjeepster

They did not really change much in the last 30 years. You can line a truck up from the 60s 70s, and 80s and you will be real hard pressed to visually see any difference between them.

BugEyeBear

What do the fenders look like under the hood?

Early Gasser fenders are a different shape than MFs.
The Pass side inner fender is often roughly cut away to make room for the Turbo & exhaust.

PICS of the engine bay would help.....

OF COURSE it could have had later model MF fenders installed......

stumps

I was thinking that maybe they replaced the dash with a older one and had to put the tac down there. The Plates on the dash and some of the parts on it look like a newer truck. I not an expert just stating what I see. The Trans Tag says about not going over 55MPH. The Trans does look like a Spicer 3053A form what I can tell.
The Spicer 3053A looks just like the Spicer that is in the gasser. The only difference, as far as I know, is gear ratios.

I was told that the reason for the weird shift pattern, on the MF, is they changed the 4th gear to an overdrive ratio, called it 5th gear, and renamed the old 1:1 5th gear 4th gear. There would have to have been some adjustments to the other gear ratios, but it seems plausible.

-Chuck

stumps

The data tag says the pattern is R-1-2-3-5-4, the messed up patten of the MF.
Good! That should prove that you have the correct MF transmission. The gassers were a normal pattern, and the MF's are the goofy pattern.

It wasn't at all unusual to upgrade gassers to use the new MF stuff. Everything was compatible... mostly. As bear mentioned, they would hack out a corner of the fender well to allow the exhaust pipe to pass through, hang a tach onto the bottom of the dash, the choke became the engine cutoff, and other stuff like that.

-Chuck

BugEyeBear

Has anyone ever put an OD trans in a Gasser??

I'm wondering how it would perform at speed.

OBVIOUSLY it would be lacking power, but the top end might be raised to normal highway speeds.... EVEN IF ONLY FOR going downhill!

IF we could only find a way to boost the power of the gasser....
(I know, I know... SOMEONE will say, "put in a multi fuel!")

Just a thought.....