• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good or bad idea...

Engine5

Unless you have tiedowns in the bed of the Deuce I would not try it. I was going to do that with my Montero but if I had ran the chains over the side of the Deuce that would have been lifting up on the Montero not pulling it down to secure it for the ride. Because the chain points are lower than the side rails of the Deuce. My opinion have a co driver with you . Just in case Murphy decides to show up for the trip home. And he will show up.

mbwarner

Welcome aboard!

"So, I bought a deuce about 425 miles from here. Going to drive it home. I want to drive my POS astro cargo van over to the deuce and put the van in the rear of the deuce for the trip home. It appears that the rear tires of the van will be on the tailgate. How can I make this work safely? Will the rear tailgate support the weight? I would obviously strap it in. Suggestions welcome. "

If the original question had included
--400 miles ain't nothing;
--I have no one to help other than my wife;
--I can fix anything that might go wrong;
--I plan to support the tailgate with railroad ties...

...then the opinions might have been different. But I doubt it.

54reo

Welcome aboard!

"So, I bought a deuce about 425 miles from here. Going to drive it home. I want to drive my POS astro cargo van over to the deuce and put the van in the rear of the deuce for the trip home. It appears that the rear tires of the van will be on the tailgate. How can I make this work safely? Will the rear tailgate support the weight? I would obviously strap it in. Suggestions welcome. "

If the original question had included
--400 miles ain't nothing;
--I have no one to help other than my wife;
--I can fix anything that might go wrong;
--I plan to support the tailgate with railroad ties...

...then the opinions might have been different. But I doubt it.
...exactly...

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your probably going to have 1000lbs or so on the tailgate. It will probably hold it. If it doesn't, it will only drop down to the frame if you have it secured in the bed of the deuce. You can always figure a way to get it out when you get home!
It's just a minivan unless I missed something.. chain it to something and drive the deuce out from under it.. sheesh!! :twisted:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get after it bpj911! You have a good idea - your truck will haul anything you can get in the back of it. I know that I did, with a couple of old M211's, from the North Slope to S Alberta. Your truck was made to "geter done", under any conditions, not just drive around town. That little Astro will be more wind resistance, then anything else. The 2x12 plank trick will work just fine to help the tailgate. You'll have to be a little creative, on tying her down, but you can handle that. Some of that depends on where the rear wheels actually sit.

Good Luck - you'll fit right in here.

Lee in Alaska

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get after it bpj911! You have a good idea - your truck will haul anything you can get in the back of it. I know that I did, with a couple of old M211's, from the North Slope to S Alberta. Your truck was made to "geter done", under any conditions, not just drive around town. That little Astro will be more wind resistance, then anything else. The 2x12 plank trick will work just fine to help the tailgate. You'll have to be a little creative, on tying her down, but you can handle that. Some of that depends on where the rear wheels actually sit.

Good Luck - you'll fit right in here.

Lee in Alaska

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think the chain mountings would not support the weight.

I feel your frustration though about getting an answer. It's sort of like the "electrolytes" argument on Idiocracy:

"Why do you put Brawndo on the plants?"

"Because it's got what plants need"

"What's that?"

"Electrolytes!"

"But what are electrolytes?"

"They're what plants need!"

Pawnshop

I expect on the top of the Astro, people poo on minivans but I love my Astro and will not replace it till it is ready for the scrap heap, and it will be replaced with another Astro!

bpj911

I am going to buy the 2 x12 at the lumberyard where I pick the truck up. I have the railroad tie block cut already to block it at the frame. When I say POS Astro van I really mean it. I will throw ratchet straps over the top and around the back to hold it in.

Flea

I am going to buy the 2 x12 at the lumberyard where I pick the truck up. I have the railroad tie block cut already to block it at the frame. When I say POS Astro van I really mean it. I will throw ratchet straps over the top and around the back to hold it in.
I'd try to get those straps around something unsprung on the van, instead of trying to hold it in place like that.

If you try to hold it by compressing the suspension, you need to compress to the bumpstops, or you risk losing the vehicle.

By attaching to the axles or other components not "sprung" (i.e. not the chassis, bumpers, etc.), you can allow the suspension to cycle as it's going down the road, and the straps will stay nice and tight!

And I say you can do it. I've seen an M880 in the bed of a deuce on here somewhere.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front bumper might be higher than the front of the bed. Perhaps a few timbers between the front tires and the front of the bed. Also consider that the front of the bed isn't much stronger than the tailgate. Any kind of crisis braking may invite the van through the front panel and into the passenger compartment. Be safe and strap it from the back as well.

m.walker

At the very least it's gonna be an interesting trip ! I say take a camera and post up pics after you get back , good or bad . Good " see I told you it would work " , bad " guys don't try this it doesn't work ! "
OK now you have our undivided attention .

mdog

Someone told me one time that just because something can be done that doesn't mean it should be done. If the board breaks on one side, the load shifts, you lose control and kill everyone in the next lane of traffic it will sound like a really bad idea as you explain it to the officer, lawyer, judge, next of kin, etc. Killing yourself is your right as a free american but don't take others too.

sermis

You have a blow out on the front and loose control and kill everyone in the lane next to you. Which is more likley to happen?
If you allways wory about that you need to stay home and drink beer.

mdog

A blowout is a good example of an unavoidable accident IF the tire was the proper pressure, tread, and appeared sound. Other accidents can be seen coming from a mile away, and are just waiting to happen. I'm not against his idea of saving a driver or time on this recovery. If the POS is on blocks in the bed and secured properly he will have no problem. One 2x12 board per rear wheel hanging over the bed onto the tailgate is just as unpredictable as the tailgate chain.