• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

DavidWymore

That is a tapping valve. You need to adjust them. Probably why you have that miss too.
Duh. Been spending too much time around hydraulic lifter engines lately. Thanks

Did some piddling around climbing in and out of the hole out back after work today, and took the wife and kids for a ride. Kinda figured out the twin shifter business...things have to be just right to get what you want, and they don't always stay where you want them.

It wouldn't climb or pull anything in RWD, only the rear axle was/is pulling. Engaging the front helps a lot of course, since that's where all the weight is. I further tested the rears by pushing/pulling against a parking bumper pole outside the welding shop. Only the rear pulls, middle axle is no go. Hopefully just a broken shaft or something. Neighboring shop has or did have a bunch of parts deuces...

Also, the oil cooler housing has begun to resemble a watering can...like the radiator.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

You need to fix that missing cylinder before you wash out a piston and liner. If you are any good with soldering you can fix the radiator and oil cooler housing yourself.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

I'll get right on the valves.

I think that housing is aluminum but I haven't looked closely. I'm sure we can come up with something.

I really hope the axle problem isn't serious. Couple pics for fun.

Climbing up over that curved lower doorsill into my dads deuce is one of my early childhood memories. Unfortunately, someone cut it out of the driver side. Going to have to get that fixed. Once you get the old beast running, that's when the real work starts. Last summer I put together a Dodge Sweptline (Half ton short bed) from 4 parts trucks...it runs and drives, but I still have a list of things to do it as long as my arm. Daily driver is a big four-wheel-drive locked Cummins diesel Dodge that's been down for a few years because the engine went poof, and I'm going to have it running here pretty soon and have a bunch of other littler things to do on it. Then there's the old sand rail I picked up for a song this winter, kids love it in the local dunes, and it needs a bunch of little stuff too. Make payments on boring new vehicles, or work on the old ones.

3753389D-A25E-4D7E-A0AC-0AD3C80FB93F_zpsooiryv5e.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

DavidWymore

I just thought of something else regarding that miss. One of the injector lines at one point in the past must have gotten a hole in it and was welded very poorly, and now that I think about it that one might be leaking at the hydraulic head, so maybe it's plugged up where it's welded, or constricted anyway. I cleaned and blew them all out when I did the HH. I read in a TM somewhere that constriction is no good. Is there a way to determine which cylinder is missing? I think it's number five. Thanks!

Last edited:

DavidWymore

I'll get the temp gun out and see if I can tell which cylinder is missing. Mechanics stethoscope too maybe. Front end sounds like a bearing going bad, was going to check radiator inlet and outlet temps, see if I could determine if the water pump is working.

Jeepsinker

Pull the belts and run it that way. It may be alternator bearings. Could be water pump too, but hard to tell without spin I g it by hand. You can solder aluminum by the way.... But the oil cooler housings can be had pretty cheap anyway. Order yourself a new injector line, but definitely adjust the valves first and see if that fixes it.

DavidWymore

Went to visit the neighbors...I can cherry pick what I need but it has to be within a couple days because it all going to a museum. Can't touch the nice green service body deuce. They said they'd trade me or something which is great, but now lots of work in a rush. Suggestions on spares to get appreciated.

I think they're all older gassers, so probably no air shift cases.

The 5 ton good says USMC but doesn't match the truck so no telling if it has lockers, probably can't have it anyway.

There are winches (gotta figure out how to inspect) window frames fenders doors etc etc. might even grab one that's stripped down to frame and cab since my frame has those wonky gussets on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Pick a winch that you can actually move the drum lock on and go from there. You can also lock the clutch lever on the winch in and see if you can spin the driveshaft. It should not turn freely with the clutch lever engaged, if it does then one of the gears inside is broken. Other than that they are all the same.

As far as spare parts, you can grab some driveshafts, some axle shafts, maybe an axle third member or two, and a couple of winch ptos. Maybe grab a couple of spare hubs. If they are all gassers there isn't much else you could use. Maybe some body parts like fenders and a good bed if you can find one.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Cooler looks OK after cleaning, but the cover is toast. Nasty ole galvanic action.
C7C18D2B-FB67-4F3A-8758-269B3BA1FAAA_zpsyj9qxvqk.jpg

55150C37-CE62-4342-9F86-E497F16130D5_zpsikubd2pv.jpg

Not getting much in the way of results google searching yet...

I think this deuce was gas, and was swapped multi. Is there a way to tell if I have the OD diesel 5th or direct gas version?

Thanks

Last edited:

DavidWymore

That picture is to cherish.....
When One works hard enough and then looks back photos are is what is left, but those times be gone. They grow so fast!
Yup!

I will have to see if I can dig up pics of me and my dad's deuce when I was a kid. Used to pull down pine trees with the winch, block and tackle to enlarge our clearing in the woods in WA. Roots and all, like a weed.

In this day and age of iPhones, we get lots of pictures and videos all the time, sure is nice. I enjoy playing with photography, if ya'll like, I'll post more.

Recommendations for a parts source cloee to the southwest? Talked to Boyce, but they're $$$...

EDIT: or how 'bout a recommendation for parts from a supporter of the forum?

Thanks all!

Last edited:

DavidWymore

More boneyard shopping.

SCORE! Airshift! Rolled truck, AM General, was multifuel, has airshift, not much of it left/good except the frame, Tcase, rear axle, but has dash plates etc. I need.

86E88095-6FE5-4109-A051-E98FF5D96392_zpsuey9p39t.jpg

B3B295E1-A3AA-4C9B-BB99-69C89FFBDD56_zps4xqowrfy.jpg

I think this is a 5 ton steering gear laying out. might grab it in case I lock the front diff.

998A09DA-EA20-4F0A-9AED-525B1D5AAE32_zpsxgea7zzj.jpg

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Speaking of diffs...

Tore into the non working middle axle. Seems it's been worked on and isn't right. No broken shafts. Chunk is primer red, not green. Looks OK from the top. Didn't drain it yet, but it's full.

Deuce in front of a couple of the welding bays.

58A9E5FD-395F-4846-B6D0-6B500DE33F04_zpsazizzjsb.jpg

Oh, hey, that's not good. Add it to the list.

C4842822-4601-4493-8BCE-DF5B487495D8_zpsrjwdummu.jpg

42245C67-094C-40AE-B2F9-3BC38B6C511B_zpsnkc5zizm.jpg

The white shaft had to be pulled by hammering wedges between the flange and hub. Note that the flange is shaped different and it doesn't neck down. Length is the same.

8A0CDD69-A96C-4E1F-B9A4-989212EC5539_zpsnayucn6v.jpg

End is all chewed up, probably something trashed in the diff, and why it was hard to pull.

A22A4BC0-2070-46D4-A302-1B2857290F44_zpsi15o0rm8.jpg

Studs are all shiny as if they've been changed not too long ago. White paint on the hub and wheels doesn't match the rest of the truck. Who knows who did what. Gonna grab a spare axle or two.

675F8F8B-6158-4B78-AB71-7AC36F1559AE_zpspxvprcog.jpg

rustystud

Cooler looks OK after cleaning, but the cover is toast. Nasty ole galvanic action.
View attachment 543514

View attachment 543515

Not getting much in the way of results google searching yet...

I think this deuce was gas, and was swapped multi. Is there a way to tell if I have the OD diesel 5th or direct gas version?

Thanks
What's your shift pattern like ? If it's standard "H" pattern then you have the 3052 direct transmission.