• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

DavidWymore

Trans pattern IIRC, haven't driven it much and only past 3 in low.

R25
N

Long day. Picked up good later model A2 frame with smashed cab, 3 axles, and an air shift tcase. Winch off another truck. Gotta go back for more sheet metal, etc., gonna need some dogbones and a rear leaf spring from elsewhere.

Pulled the the middle axle diff on my truck, spiders munched. Got it cleaned up and ready for replacement diff. Planning to go get a couple bent housing axles for diffs.

Really need an oil cooler housing, can't run it without it. Local hopes fell through. I'd like to establish a relationship with a vendor for this project. New parts as well as wrecking yard.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Dumb question, haven't looked closely enough, too busy, too many things to remember in a short time frame...are the gasser air compressors the same as the multis?

Thanks

DavidWymore

Figured I should start looking into brakes while I wait for engine parts.

Hooked the shop air up to the truck and fixed some leaks and the horn valve. It was stuck "on" and gave me a pretty good scare when the air hit it.

http://vid142.photobucket.com/album...6-532F-45A3-B7A5-73799B830399_zpsymtbdvxf.mp4

Cleaning compressor intake filter
0B61F6A7-B537-4061-8D88-252D3C3FDAD4_zpsjtoepcii.jpg

Yuck! Pretty sure the compressor is missing the belt because it's not easy to change, maybe because things were leaking. Radiator needs repaired, might just pull it to make it easier. Bet the pulley adjustment is frozen up.

Found a good wrecking yard parts source - Jack's in Tucson. Got aluminum housing and injector lines coming.

Got some DOT 5...

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Cut up a bent axle housing tonight and got the diff out and ready to go in the deuce's middle axle tomorrow. Lots to do, but I bet I'll be driving and stopping in a week or two. Also buttoned the compressor filter back up. Photobucket is malfunctioning or I'd post pics.

Thinking about calling it the Zombie, since it's white and I'm bringing it back from the dead, haha.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Absolutely! I can't stand the yellow white color now. I have blasting and painting eqpt. Want the older darker semi gloss OD with the white star on the door like my dads.

Gotta figure out electrical eventually. All the original electrical is pretty much toast. Thinking about some kind of hybrid 12/24v setup. Universal 12v hot rod harness, 24v for starter only.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Absolutely! I can't stand the yellow white color now. I have blasting and painting eqpt. Want the older darker semi gloss OD with the white star on the door like my dads.

Gotta figure out electrical eventually. All the original electrical is pretty much toast. Thinking about some kind of hybrid 12/24v setup. Universal 12v hot rod harness, 24v for starter only.
Don't do that, just shop around. You can get a new harness for under $3-$400.

DavidWymore

Busy doing other stuff and too tired to wrench tonight, but I did clean and photograph all my ID tags to see what I've got. Working on pics and research. Prelim version:

'72 LDS-465-1A

3053A Trans

'65 front axle

EDIT : Also went hunting for and found some green iron at lunch today. You're not gonna believe this deuce bucket truck.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

I couldn't find a picture of a tag online that I could tell was like mine. Want to know if it's a TD- thick block? Anyone have a tag like this that can tell me what the X's are? Thank You

E71375BA-C394-464B-9F22-8C1E2CFC6AAE_zpsktdfqpgh.jpg

Should be the big whistler, but haven't noticed much whistle compared to videos I've seen online.

http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/294/4820/Schwitzer-Turbo-Charger-4LE-354

IMG_7316_zpssu43q2wf.jpg

Bad pic of starter, it's cramped in there, big (hackjob) exhaust. Engaged by stomping the button on the floor/bellcrank on firewall+pushbutton to run. Solenoid is bolted to big hunk of plate welded to frame, doesn't look real clean/original.

IMG_7310_zpslncyuh8e.jpg

Interesting number on engine...?

IMG_7309_zpsijhdi0mr.jpg

Think it's a generator, big DelcoRemy box on driver firewall. More big turbo goodness and hacked up disconneted mess of preheater. Need to just get it out of there. Wonder where that oil leak is coming from...

IMG_7308_zpsotnqp71m.jpg

Keeps telling me pic is too large even though I've resized. Having fits with phbckt, very frustratedaua, so just click the link for older pic of hacked out fender (to be replaced)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/...1-5845-4e49-9cd6-1ed549d4aec4_zpslyjoiby4.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

That is a generator. You need to get rid of it and swap it out for an alternator. You will have problems with it sooner than later, and it is only a 25 amp unit. The alternator is a 60 amp, bolts right on, and only needs minimal wiring to install.

The "x" in three places on that tag you have pictured is to mark the specs on the rebuild. That is the rebuild data plate. It shows standard bore, .10 over rod and main bearings. Most of the plate is just corroded off.
Edit: It may show .20 over rods and mains. I need to look at one of mine and compare the space between them against yours.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

That is a generator. You need to get rid of it and swap it out for an alternator. You will have problems with it sooner than later, and it is only a 25 amp unit. The alternator is a 60 amp, bolts right on, and only needs minimal wiring to install.

The "x" in three places on that tag you have pictured is to mark the specs on the rebuild. That is the rebuild data plate. It shows standard bore, .10 over rod and main bearings. Most of the plate is just corroded off.
Edit: It may show .20 over rods and mains. I need to look at one of mine and compare the space between them against yours.
Thanks, that's what I had in mind, but mine doesn't seem to be the same size/config as what I've seen online. They are usually larger top to bottom.

I'll keep my eyes out for an alt. Don't even know if this gen works yet. Just talked to a local guy that says he has parts.

DavidWymore

Parts (oil cooler cover and inj lines) showed up today. Have the third member ready to go into the middle axle....lots of work to do tonight, but stoked to get to drive it again. Thanks to those who've helped directly or indirectly.