• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got another Deuce! ('70)

DavidWymore

Finished trans swap Sat. night, took the '70 on it's and my first trip of any length today, 30 miles round trip. Previously only drove my beaters around the yard and the 70 around town a little yesterday. You don't really realize how hot, slow, and loud they are until you drive one a bit. We have a '53 M38A1, 5.13 gears, so I know what low gearing is like. It's about 80deg F here. Mostly went 4-45 at about 2k rpm. No problems upon return inspection except a leaky valve stem and the rearmost diff is too hot to touch more than 5 seconds. The middle is just warm, and the front is cool. The trans is finicky to shift, not sure how finicky they should be. Feels notchy coming in and out of gear, have to feather the clutch a little. I have a manual Cummins, jeep etc. for experience, but no decent deuce. Rides better than expected. Definitely needs the 11.00s (how much difference do they make RPM wise?) and maybe taller overdrive ratio, get rid of the C turbo, and get some heat and sound insulation. Taller stack maybe, or move to rear of the cab. Maybe even a muffler.

DavidWymore

image.jpgLove the heck out of my deuce(s). Been daily driving the '70. Trans is acting up, going to have to build one. Bummed cause I can't drive it.

DavidWymore

Finally got it to the dunes, doesn't do too bad. Gauges on the way so I can turn it up. Fixed a coupe flats, repaired turn signal, air governor, etc. First pic is deuce acting as anchor for 500' mobile zip line off the back of my Dodge.

http://youtu.be/zrF8sPFS-Jc

http://youtu.be/9H5uT4UTPYo

image.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Yanked the main shaft out of the '62 tonight. 2-3 synchro is gone, and it was noisy due to bad bearings. Couple teeth busted off reverse countershaft...but 2nd doesn't appear to be too loose on the main shaft. Will disassemble and measure tomorrow.

image.jpg

DavidWymore

The donor 2nd and main shaft fit is .006" loose, should be .0045" max, so it's temp until I get new parts from m35tom.

I have a bunch of pics I was trying to upload from my phone yesterday, I'll try to get them up today.

rustystud

Took the truck out to the country for a school project photo shoot the other evening.

View attachment 614084View attachment 614085View attachment 614086View attachment 614087View attachment 614088
These pictures remind me of when I went to trade school in Arizona. The sky in the morning and night was always so beautiful ! Here in Washington if we even see the sky it is just a grey blob up there. Right now as I'm writing this it is pouring down rain ! It's like a cow pissing on a flat rock out there !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks