• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got another Deuce! ('70)

DavidWymore

I'm still alive! Anxiously awaiting temps cool enough morning and evening to drive the '70...after I pay the commercial reg, ouch!

Rusty, still bummed we missed our meeting up your way. :-(

DavidWymore

I'm on here rummaging around trying to find a link I posted with good info, exploded views etc. for the injection pumps. I saw a post by Jeepsinker elsewhere about the smoke cam adjustment and want to see the cutaway/exploded view. Now where did I post that...?

Another Ahab

I'm on here rummaging around trying to find a link I posted with good info, exploded views etc. for the injection pumps. I saw a post by Jeepsinker elsewhere about the smoke cam adjustment and want to see the cutaway/exploded view. Now where did I post that...?
Not to worry. You'll find it just as soon as you don't need it anymore.

DavidWymore

Thanks Rusty. I'll shoot it with temp gun next time. I know the others were comfortably warm, but the rear I could only touch for a couple seconds. Didn't smell hot or anything though so probably not real hot.

rustystud

Thanks Rusty. I'll shoot it with temp gun next time. I know the others were comfortably warm, but the rear I could only touch for a couple seconds. Didn't smell hot or anything though so probably not real hot.

I've actually gotten some severe burns from working on differentials that just came off the freeway. When I worked at IHC in Tukwila it was located right at the off-ramp of I-5 . The truckers would get off the road and come in for a quick check-up and oil change and sometimes a complete gear oil change too. Since we advertised fast service to all over the road truckers we would bring them into the shop immediately. So they where really hot having been driven for hours or even days. Once I was under a Kenworth draining the rear-rear differential when I accidently kicked the drain pan and all that hot oil went on me. I got burned real bad on my leg that day !

DavidWymore

They all get hot, it's just how hot. Take a measurement if you can. If it's getting over 240 'F' I'd start to look at things.
Most I've seen is 160F

For my future reference below :

Serial Number: 52513276
Registration number: 04J13170
YOM: 1967
LAst Assigned to 150th Maintenance Company, Carson City, Nevada (WQCSAA)

I'm going to guess it's been out of the system for a long time. Not sure what life it was doing before you bought it, but the Army hasn't touched it for a number of years.

rustystud

Most I've seen is 160F

For my future reference below :

Serial Number: 52513276
Registration number: 04J13170
YOM: 1967
LAst Assigned to 150th Maintenance Company, Carson City, Nevada (WQCSAA)

I'm going to guess it's been out of the system for a long time. Not sure what life it was doing before you bought it, but the Army hasn't touched it for a number of years.
So you actually used a temp probe to confirm the temperature ? I have several temperature probes for my "Fluke" meter. Goes a long way in helping diagnose a problem.

rustystud

Do all the Flukes have that probe feature, rustystud; some kind of "needle" plug-in feature?[/QUOTE

003.jpg005.jpg006.jpg011.jpg013.jpg014.jpg

All Fluke meters use "banana" plugs for connections. Most all the "probes" use the
"K" style connector (the yellow ends) . Very few probes use the banana plugs though I do have one here. Picture one shows my fluke meters, picture two shows my probes. Picture three shows the "K style adapter" needed for using all "K" style probes, plugged into my meter.
Picture four shows the "high" temp probe (3000 F ) . Picture five shows my medium temp probe (1000 F ) . Picture six shows my "Immersion" probe (up to 500 F ) .

rustystud

Good thing I took the pictures of my Fluke meters yesterday. I needed to remove the batteries out of them so I wouldn't get corrosion in the units. Normally 9 volt batteries don't leak like regular batteries will but I have had them do it in the past. Better safe then sorry. Kind of depressing looking at my tools that will never be used again. :sad: Not much need to use my
Fluke "ET 87" for anything around here. Guess I should be glad I didn't buy the big "Mega- Ohm" and "Capacitance" testers for the Hybrid busses. Those run over $800.00 each. A lot of the mechanics who regularly work on the Hybrids buy their own meters since it can be a pain in the butt to have to wait while someone else is using the only one the shop bought. I actually was getting ready to buy the Mega-Ohm meter when they gave me the medical and forced me out.

Another Ahab

Good thing I took the pictures of my Fluke meters yesterday. I needed to remove the batteries out of them so I wouldn't get corrosion in the units. Normally 9 volt batteries don't leak like regular batteries will but I have had them do it in the past. Better safe then sorry. Kind of depressing looking at my tools that will never be used again.
I'm sorry about the lousy turn of events, rustystud. But maybe posting all the old tools on Craigslist and getting them out of your sight will help drive off some of that bad feeling. And it could generate a wee little bit of spending cash, that's always good for the spirit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks