• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my new deuce!

VBsurfer

Well I've had it for a month now and I haven't driven it yet. One because there is no start, supposed fuel issue somewhere in there. Got a new battery as I arc welded a battery post when I pushed the box back in the terminal came loose but was still making contact...oops!

She's in pretty good shape! I think the fuel stop lever is stuck in the IP. That's the first thing I'm looking at. Fuel comes out of the final filter at all least that's what the previous owner said. And I've read on the forums that's the usual suspect. Never worked on these military vehicles but I've got some tech manuals to assist. I'll figure it out I hope!

My mom had a stroke so she's living with us while she's recovering and that's taken a lot of my time, family first! Will keep this updated as I go hopefully in a few weeks I'll get some time to work on her.

I'll get some more shots and upload them here.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well I've had it for a month now and I haven't driven it yet. One because there is no start, supposed fuel issue somewhere in there. Got a new battery as I arc welded a battery post when I pushed the box back in the terminal came loose but was still making contact...oops!

She's in pretty good shape! I think the fuel stop lever is stuck in the IP. That's the first thing I'm looking at. Fuel comes out of the final filter at all least that's what the previous owner said. And I've read on the forums that's the usual suspect. Never worked on these military vehicles but I've got some tech manuals to assist. I'll figure it out I hope!

My mom had a stroke so she's living with us while she's recovering and that's taken a lot of my time, family first! Will keep this updated as I go hopefully in a few weeks I'll get some time to work on her.

I'll get some more shots and upload them here.
It looks like you have a really nice truck VBsurfer ! You'v already mentioned that you have some tech manuals. Be sure to grab the ones specific to your truck here.

Welcome to the outfit! Snap up a few pictures of the engine bay so we can know for sure what you have under the hood. Knowing that for sure will help you get better suggestions on what to do to help kick it over and make it run.

Would be important to know what you can tell us about it. Been sitting for a while? Is is known to run 3 months ago - or maybe 3 years ago... Knowing that will help us know if you have possibly got "gummy fuel" that has gelled over time. BEFORE you gum up the IP trying to start it. Again, pictures would be a big help.

So, welcome to the group one more time!

:)

VBsurfer

It looks like you have a really nice truck VBsurfer ! You'v already mentioned that you have some tech manuals. Be sure to grab the ones specific to your truck here.

Welcome to the outfit! Snap up a few pictures of the engine bay so we can know for sure what you have under the hood. Knowing that for sure will help you get better suggestions on what to do to help kick it over and make it run.

Would be important to know what you can tell us about it. Been sitting for a while? Is is known to run 3 months ago - or maybe 3 years ago... Knowing that will help us know if you have possibly got "gummy fuel" that has gelled over time. BEFORE you gum up the IP trying to start it. Again, pictures would be a big help.

So, welcome to the group one more time!

:)
Thanks, yes I got some physical ones as well just for quick reference just in case I'm not nearby a phone, tablet, computer etc..The previous owner said he bought it about a year ago and drove it for about 5 min and then it just shut off. Couldn't get it working but he has 2 other military vehciles a 5 ton and a standard deuce. Said he needed to just offload this one and have someone else take a crack at it. The owner before him mentioned it might have been a head gasket he said he replaced those but still didn't fix the issue. So it's been over a year it has been sitting roughly other than that I'm not sure but will get some pictures tomorrow of the engine bay and post them up here along with some other shots as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks, yes I got some physical ones as well just for quick reference just in case I'm not nearby a phone, tablet, computer etc..The previous owner said he bought it about a year ago and drove it for about 5 min and then it just shut off. Couldn't get it working but he has 2 other military vehciles a 5 ton and a standard deuce. Said he needed to just offload this one and have someone else take a crack at it. The owner before him mentioned it might have been a head gasket he said he replaced those but still didn't fix the issue. So it's been over a year it has been sitting roughly other than that I'm not sure but will get some pictures tomorrow of the engine bay and post them up here along with some other shots as well.
Head gasket alone and running for 5 minutes wouldn't make it shut down the motor. It may be that the PO (Previous Owner) cranked it and there was "gunk" in the fuel tank that got sucked into the injector pump. Might be worth a really bright flashlight in the tank to look down in there to see what you can see. You should be able to see the bottom of the tank - or algae that is growing in there...

If there is a head gasket problem, you might find white gunk in the oil. Less likely if it has been sitting for a year, but looking at what is on the dipstick and under the oil filler cap - and maybe in the radiator too. If the gasket problem is bad, you should find oil or water where they don't belong. Taking a sample of each and sending them to a lab might be an easy way to know for sure.

Pictures for sure and we look forward to what you can show us. The guys will definitely pop in with ideas!

VBsurfer

Head gasket alone and running for 5 minutes wouldn't make it shut down the motor. It may be that the PO (Previous Owner) cranked it and there was "gunk" in the fuel tank that got sucked into the injector pump. Might be worth a really bright flashlight in the tank to look down in there to see what you can see. You should be able to see the bottom of the tank - or algae that is growing in there...

If there is a head gasket problem, you might find white gunk in the oil. Less likely if it has been sitting for a year, but looking at what is on the dipstick and under the oil filler cap - and maybe in the radiator too. If the gasket problem is bad, you should find oil or water where they don't belong. Taking a sample of each and sending them to a lab might be an easy way to know for sure.

Pictures for sure and we look forward to what you can show us. The guys will definitely pop in with ideas!
Ok took some pictures this morning while I had a few minutes. I didn't see anything except on the radiator area. Not sure what the white powder is exactly. I think he drained it earlier and it was pulled out while he was trying to work on it. I'll need to secure it as it was loose this morning. I didn't get a shot of the fuel tank to shine a light in to check for algae. I'll still need to do that later on today. I forgot when I was taking pictures to do it earlier. The frame itself looks like it's in pretty good condition overall some of the wheels are a little bit more worn than others. Some look pretty new. Not much rust underneath but there is some I'll have to work on that as well as a few spots around the body of the vehicle, but honestly it's in pretty good shape. I've already bought the spin on oil filter kit and one for the two remaining fuel filters. The primary already has the spin on filter installed. I plan on doing a full maintenance overhaul of the vehicle once I figure out what's causing it to not start. Including the hubs wheels, differential radiator flush. Checking all the fluids and belts. What's interesting is the guy who I bought it from bought it from a guy who lives here in lottsburg Virginia and he restores these vehicles which is literally like 5 mi from where I live. I have his contact information so I guess if I really get stuck and I can't get the help I need or figure it out then I can always reach out to him and see if he can help.

Attachments

VBsurfer

More shots!!!

Attachments

VBsurfer

And the last of them, except for the fuel tank that is!

Attachments

VBsurfer

Other than the grime under the box, it’s over all a clean looking truck. . I’ve always loved the different variants of the m35. Sure there not as capable as the 5 ton big brother in their rolls but still cool in my eyes.
Yes it looks like some kind of of undercoating but not sure I'll have to take a closer look at it and report back.

VBsurfer

That's what I would check, after making sure clean fuel is getting to the IP.
If that's not it, search for posts about the 'hydraulic head button'. If that comes loose, it will cause a no-start condition.

Nice truck, and welcome to the hobby!
Yes sir that's the second one I have on the list to check. Tactical repair on YouTube is a great resource for the how to, but this community really knows their stuff so much appreciate any advice I can get. Hope to have an update here in a short while.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes it looks like some kind of of undercoating but not sure I'll have to take a closer look at it and report back.
Definitely looks like you got a nice truck! The furniture being there too is a big plus as well too. If you decide you want to build out a camping vehicle, I would suggest that you hang on to the furniture.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Check out the fuel tank and maybe next the fuel filters next. Looking forward to hearing what you find...

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Will do if I have it road ready by then sir, and thank you for the information.
Even if you don't have her ready for the rally, come on over anyway. Get to know some of the folks in your area. Those events are generally a good place to find parts if you need something. Helps give you ideas on what you may want to do to your truck too.

VBsurfer

Definitely looks like you got a nice truck! The furniture being there too is a big plus too. If you decide you want to build out a camping vehicle, I would suggest that you hang on to the furniture.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Check out the fuel tank and maybe next the fuel filters next. Looking forward to hearing what you find...
Yes I was thinking about converting it over at some point but first gotta get her running and do several upgrades. Lots to work on this year! I'll get a shot of the fuel tank this weekend and check that out. I imagine if there is some in there I would need to drain it out and treat the diesel, I believe he said he put about 30 gallons in there not sure how old it is though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks