• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my OD Iron wheels and tires on!

dieselsmokem35a2

Finally got my tires and wheels on! But of course it was not without a hitch.....two of the studs on the front right wheel stripped out on me. :x So now I have to wait for parts before I can drive her. I would drive it with just one lug nut off but two.........not worth it. Well, I did drive it around the block just to see what it was like. :twisted: I expected the steering to be much harder but to my suprise it actually steers much easier both moving and standing still! It sits about 6" or so higher now which is noticible when driving it.:wink: I got a lot of looks before but now with these tires I get even more looks! The only negative so far is that it's a bit more bouncy. Smoother ride but more bouncy if that makes sense. I have em at 60psi and will try less when I get wheel studs fixed. Tires say 120psi max but I couldn't imagine that would be good. My only concern is that these tires wear evenly and not just in the middle. My next purchase is going to be front lockout hubs. Especially since I don't have the front air shift and my front axle engages when it feels like it. I am hoping that will help the tires last a little longer. My original tires went bald on the fronts with only a couple hundred miles on them. The rears are at about 50% with same miles. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Attachments

Last edited:

JTugwell

no sure about your tire pressure, but i have a F550 utility truck. its supposed to have 95 psi cold in the tires. if they leak down to around 50 or so it will bounce around like crazy. maybe you are running low pressure. im in the process of getting the same tires for mine. i couldnt imagine them bouncing more than the NDT's i have now, but who knows. it sure does look good though. mike told me he had those wheels for sale. do you have to run the tubes in them?

dieselsmokem35a2

no sure about your tire pressure, but i have a F550 utility truck. its supposed to have 95 psi cold in the tires. if they leak down to around 50 or so it will bounce around like crazy. maybe you are running low pressure. im in the process of getting the same tires for mine. i couldnt imagine them bouncing more than the NDT's i have now, but who knows. it sure does look good though. mike told me he had those wheels for sale. do you have to run the tubes in them?
You could be right. Until I get the lugs fixedI cant really play with the thing too much to see what works best. I will try both high and low pres. and report back. No tubes required.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How long till your studs come in? I have a couple sitting here. Are you going to the mid-ohio event by exit 140 this weekend?

dieselsmokem35a2

Six inches taller? Maybe 3. looks good though.

Thanks gimpyrobb for making me feel like less of a man! :cry::grin: Three inches could be right but it seemed like I had more..................because I had to jack it up more like six after taking the originals off in order to get the hub to be high enough to get the rim opening to line up. Either way you notice a difference when you drive it and I love it! Thanks agian.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your sprag transfer is acting up, there a an adjustment procedure in the TM. Putting lockouts on will not stop the front axle gears from turning on a sprag truck, and may cause the spider gears to spin quite fast, causing some wear.

Easy temporay fix until your sprag is fixed or replaced would be to pull the front driveshaft.

Good looking truck and tires! And the larger exhaust looks great.

Lawrence of Arabia

Tires

I just bought a Deuce and want to change the style of tires and wheels. Are those aftermarket, Hemmitt or what? What was the investment in changing them to single wheels?

monkeythumbs

I just had some G20's put on my stock duece rims, went cheap for now. Here's a price list/guide.

TiresX7= $525-???
Rims= Free(I used stock split-rims)
TubesX7= $32+tax X 7
Mounted= Priceless

Your costs could vary alot, I put some sweat equity into getting tires at that cost. Aftermarket/Hemmit conversion rims are expensive, so I used stock rims. Tires usually run at least $100 per tire and don't forget to purchase a spare, ie. 7 tires total for a stock truck and 5 for a bobber. I wouldn't want to get a flat and have to try and search for a spare that could get me home.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks