• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

HanksDeuce

It's been a while since I posted, but I'm still around and check the forum often. I drive my deuce as much as I can when the Louisiana weather cooperates. No issues to speak of.

Here's a video of my bobbed deuce in the 2018 Veterans Day Parade in Gonzales, LA on 11/11/18.

I found the perfect setup is to run low range in the transfer case, AT545 in 1st gear, and always ask to be the last vehicle in the parade. This minimizes the time on the brake pedal.

https://youtu.be/AotYCPNeoOo

77 AMG

Good to see that you are still around, HanksDeuce! My son and I have found your website and have been going through/over it. Very informative, well laid out on the detail work. Thank you for the time and labor that you have put in on your wonderful truck and sharing it with everyone. We are planning on making some phone calls to Black Rock Fab, and see if he would mind replicating your lift, with extra pieces for the second drive axle, and the disc brake bracket kit, once again adding for the second drive axle.

Dipstick

Used the Warn 18k winch on my bobbed deuce for some landscaping duty. Pulled a sago palm and a (?) tree out. I used the spare tire from my daily driver as a fulcrum. Apologize for the vertical video from Soldier B.

Geez Hank, I've always wanted one of those Warn 18K 24v winches myself. Too rich for my pocketbook. I'd need the bumper extension kit too. C&C Equipment sells them both as a kit or separately. Glad to know you're well and to see that Ahab is here too.

Dipstick

Used the Warn 18k winch on my bobbed deuce for some landscaping duty. Pulled a sago palm and a (?) tree out. I used the spare tire from my daily driver as a fulcrum. Apologize for the vertical video from Soldier B.

Hank your truck is beautiful! What a magnificent job you did on that!

Dino68

After much thought, consideration and hard-earned money spent gathering parts I decided to start on my deuce project today. Many thanks to TimnTrucks and littlebob for helping me in this endeavor by providing lifting services by Tim's wrecker and elbow grease by both. I'm sure a few more fellow SS members will step in to help on this fun project. It will definitely be a nice truck when I'm finished with it. And, no, I won't be selling my completed project vehicle like pretty much everybody else does. I hope to get many years of enjoyment!

I will be performing the following modifications over the course of the next few months:
- Bobbing the rear to make her 4-wheel drive
- Front Deuce Springs in the rear
- Custom Shocks (*Specs)
- M105A2 bed
- 8" frame lift & steering kit (Black Rock Fab)
- External Roll cage (fabricator TBD)
- Roof mounted Coleman Mach 15 A/C Unit (*Specs)
- Bed mounted 3k watt Yamaha Generator Inverter (*Specs)
- 53" Michelin XZL 16R20 tires (*Specs)
- 20" HEMTT wheels with weld-in plates for 6 lug Rockwell center (Stazworks)
- Front Lockout Hubs (Ouverson)
- Bed mounted spare tire
- Bed mounted toolbox with relocated fuel tank inside
- Spin on fuel/oil filter kit (Jatonka)
- 24v Trucklite LED headlights (*Specs)
- 24v Trucklite LED auxiliary lights (*Specs)
- Cage mounted Go Light Spotlight (GoLight)
- 6" LCD monitor with roof mounted and backup cameras (*Specs)
- Relocate APC lights from front bumper to rear for backup lighting
- New Desert Tan paint
- Turn the fuel up!

What has been completed so far:
- D turbo swapped out with a C turbo "whistler"
- 24v Trucklite LED turn signals (*Specs)
- 24v Trucklite LED brake/rear turn signal lights (*Specs)
- Hidden Keyed Ignition Switch
- Automatic air tank drain valves (Erik's Military Surplus)
- Fuel pump in-tank rubber line replaced (cracked & falling off)
- Combination boost/pyrometer gauge (ISSPro Turbocator)
- APC headlights mounted to front bumper
- Front bumper step
- Replaced engine temperature gauge and sender (existing gauge/sender said truck was overheating, grounds were okay)
Sweet looking truck

Dipstick

Very ambitious Dino68. Good luck on the project. I've had Ouverson hubs on my bobber for eight years now. They have always functioned flawlessly. I also installed all of the JATonka spin on kits fuel and oil. They are worth every penny. Erik is a great supplier. I've used him many times. Good to have friends who will help out!

HN6

How do you like the AT545? I am doing a 12v swap. Looking at options, but might just keep the Spicer for now. Thanks for any feedback.

Jeepsinker

How do you like the AT545? I am doing a 12v swap. Looking at options, but might just keep the Spicer for now. Thanks for any feedback.
You know the 545 is not equipped with overdrive, right? It's a decent pairing if you have acceptable differential gears or big tires like Hank does. Otherwise, you'll lose a lot of highway speed.

HN6

You know the 545 is not equipped with overdrive, right? It's a decent pairing if you have acceptable differential gears or big tires like Hank does. Otherwise, you'll lose a lot of highway speed.
Yes sir, but only because of all the smart guys on here and your page! I figured I would possibly still get 60 just like the original tranny. There are 3 AT545's here locally. Lots of old trucks sitting around. Should not be hard to find the eaton options . Just checking options, prices... incase I don't find the eaton TO-11605a.

HanksDeuce

Yes sir, but only because of all the smart guys on here and your page! I figured I would possibly still get 60 just like the original tranny. There are 3 AT545's here locally. Lots of old trucks sitting around. Should not be hard to find the eaton options . Just checking options, prices... incase I don't find the eaton TO-11605a.
I have 53" Michelins and can't get above 55 mph because the AT545 doesn't have a lockup converter or overdrive. If your tires are smaller than 53", you will be slower than 55 mph. That's just how the gearing falls out (tire size, ring/pinion, transmission, etc.). I like the automatic in parades, but sometimes I do miss the 5 speed. I never had the Spicer mated to the 6BT. When I installed the 6BT it was already married to the AT545.

HN6

I have 53" Michelins and can't get above 55 mph because the AT545 doesn't have a lockup converter or overdrive. If your tires are smaller than 53", you will be slower than 55 mph. That's just how the gearing falls out (tire size, ring/pinion, transmission, etc.). I like the automatic in parades, but sometimes I do miss the 5 speed. I never had the Spicer mated to the 6BT. When I installed the 6BT it was already married to the AT545.
Thank you for the real time data and all the information you have published on all your upgrades/work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks