• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top Modification for M66 Ring Mount.

bbbang

A buddy and I are going to modify a hard top for use on an M66 mount on an M35. Cutting the hole is not a problem but sealing it up afterward would be the issue. I would be interested in photos and information from other who have done this modification. I have seen pictures of some that were GI done with the top off of a barrel but would like to do something different than that. Thanks for any help. Chris

goldneagle

Well there are:

1-Tank Hatch
2-Manhole Cover
3-Very Large Tupperware Lid
4-Spare Tire Cover
5-Vent Cover
6-Roof Hatch
7-Trash Can Lid
8-Large Pot Lid (with Hinge)
9-Small BBQ Round Cover
10-Custom Made Hatch (Like a Tank but lighter)

M1075

The real funny thing is that I think it was a serious post! I think any of those field modifications would work.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If I saw a deuce with the lid from a Weber charcoal grille as a manhole cover in a hardtop, I would instantly die of laughter.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Wasn't there a member's ride with the top few inches of a 55 gallon drum mounted through the hard top for this purpose? My memory says Wreckerman, but it's been getting increasingly flaky as the years go on. ;)

bbbang

Indeed I do. (Someone should have mentioned welding in a T-Top from a 1979 Grand Prix).
I am going to pick the hard top up in about a week. I will get something cool fabricated up, and post some pictures up on the site, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I had seen the cut off barrel in the top before, but did not want to go that route. I actually have a M2HB and a MK64 Mount, and am wanting to set this M35 up for some serious shooting. Chris

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
HEY!!!!!That was a perferfectly good authorized Redneck modification. Worked great too...we fired my AK-47 out of it at the local machinegun shoot.
Too bad it is gone now. But I have a ringmount that I am going to put on the bob deuce...has a hardtop so I am looking for ideas too.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Top

The tank bubble is really cool. Complete with wiper, and tinted glass. I bet it is bullet proof and hinged.
It would look good on the top of a M109 box. That is where I would put the back seat driver.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man I wish you were closer, I've got a couple hard tops with the hole and cover already in it that I would trade you for a regular hard top.