• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone converted a 6.2 into a turbo charged unit?

Bocephus

For what its worth..............JDMCM (a user on this forum), has put a turbo on a 6.2...... He might be worth sending a PM on to ask questions. He had a kit for sale for a while too.

I'm like you, I was wanting to put a turbo on mine...just because...but was finding more hate then help. I get intrigued with this type of stuff....but evidently those ideas really pi$$ off other people, haha. Never quite understood that, but whatever.

BLK HMMWV

I'll help clue you in.
You come to a forum that is about military vehicles .
It's been about military vehicles . It has a technical manual section.
It doesn't have a customization forum or a chop shop forum or a bubba forum.

If you want to add a turbo. then stick to the turbo that comes with the HMMWV.
Find a nice 6.5 turbo motor and drop it in.
All the TM's will still be related to it.
That is what this forum is for .

Sorry but that's the way it should be.
Otherwise the forum is going to be unrecognizable in a few years.
It already is. 80% of the posts in the last year are about bubbafying a HMMWV.

It's like people coming to America and then not wanting to learn to speak English.
Rant over.

Bravojmc

i'll help clue you in.

If you want to add a turbo. Then stick to the turbo that comes with the hmmwv.
All the tm's will still be related to it.

It already is. 80% of the posts in the last year are about bubbafying a hmmwv.

It's like people coming to america and then not wanting to learn to speak english.
Rant over.
thank you.

Bocephus

Get off your high horse...... comparing someone asking for technical help on a adding a turbo to an engine is nothing like coming to America and not speaking English.

If this question isn't what this forum is intended for, then why don't you get the moderators to delete it?

What you designate what a forum should be and what should be asked doesn't mean anything to anybody else.

So to the OP, keep up the questions because I love reading and learning about stuff like this.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll help clue you in.

If you want to add a turbo. then stick to the turbo that comes with the HMMWV.
All the TM's will still be related to it.

It's like people coming to America and then not wanting to learn to speak English.
Rant over.
Edit - after thinking about this post AND MY RESPONSE for a while, I have decided to remove MY RESPONSE. It was not that I was in the wrong, but sometimes you can be in the right but still create an inflammatory environment.

This post also sent things off course with what should have been a friendly discussion about custom modifications. The post became a contoversial topic about modifications vs. Bubbafications vs. potentially negative posts about non-English speakers and the great state of California.

This after I got super information from RWH, and he made the kind decision to begin returning answers to my questions after I unfortunately alienated him once before. Now I'm afraid he has been done a disservice, and I am sorry for that.

RWH, I apologize for the incorrect turn this thread took! I personally apologize to you and everyone.

If I have offended anyone I apologize.

BLK HMMWV, I hope you too rethink your post. I have always enjoyed reading what you have to say.

Best,

T

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This site is a forum, not a bed and breakfast(BB).

racing4funn

I'll help clue you in.

Rant over.
Good thing you dont call the shots.. There is a sub section for the 5 tons "hotroding". Maybe there should be a a sub section for Hmmwv called "bubba yo truck". Then you wont have to visit this section and your eyes wont bleed. lol

Above poster is from California talking about the ways things should be! ROFL

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing you dont call the shots.. There is a sub section for the 5 tons "hotroding". Maybe there should be a a sub section for Hmmwv called "bubba yo truck". Then you wont have to visit this section and your eyes wont bleed. lol

Above poster is from California talking about the ways things should be! ROFL

The direction this topic has taken is why there needs to be a separate section for "bubba your truck".
Look, for all you FNG's who maybe just in the last couple months decided to get a hmmwv, a lot of us old timers have been here doing Military vehicles for many years. To Us, our job is to restore these vehicles back to original, so they are for the most part period correct. You will find this on ANY Genre specific forum....I'm sure if you went to the Shelby forum and asked to install a 6.2 diesel you might get a few negative responses from some purests.
For me, I can care less what someone does to there truck, what I don't understand are the folks that spend endless amounts of time, energy and money trying to make something that already exsists, in this case, trying to get a few extra HP from this motor. There are so many cheap "IMO" motors on the market, it's a no brainer. What so many seem to totally forget is the short coming is not so much the motor, it's the 3 speed trans. I get a call a day asking how to get more speed out this truck...simple! Add another gear, I don't I care what motor you have....as long as this trans stays in the truck, your stuck in the slow lane.
As far as power goes....I have right now 9 trucks in my yard/shop, the motors are 6.2,6.5,6.5TD's, the turbo diesel is in a class by itself, but the 6.2 and 6.5's are all over map, I have 6.2's that run like raped apes, a 6.5 GEP thats a dog, another 6.5 that runs like a raped ape, so whatever you have, if it's s dog? You motor is tired...time to rebuild it or replace it.

And I don't see what being from calif has to do with anything....

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

911joeblow

The direction this topic has taken is why there needs to be a separate section for "bubba your truck".
Look, for all you FNG's who maybe just in the last couple months decided to get a hmmwv, a lot of us old timers have been here doing Military vehicles for many years. To Us, our job is to restore these vehicles back to original, so they are for the most part period correct. You will find this on ANY Genre specific forum....I'm sure if you went to the Shelby forum and asked to install a 6.2 diesel you might get a few negative responses from some purests.
For me, I can care less what someone does to there truck, what I don't understand are the folks that spend endless amounts of time, energy and money trying to make something that already exsists, in this case, trying to get a few extra HP from this motor. There are so many cheap "IMO" motors on the market, it's a no brainer. What so many seem to totally forget is the short coming is not so much the motor, it's the 3 speed trans. I get a call a day asking how to get more speed out this truck...simple! Add another gear, I don't I care what motor you have....as long as this trans stays in the truck, your stuck in the slow lane.
As far as power goes....I have right now 9 trucks in my yard/shop, the motors are 6.2,6.5,6.5TD's, the turbo diesel is in a class by itself, but the 6.2 and 6.5's are all over map, I have 6.2's that run like raped apes, a 6.5 GEP thats a dog, another 6.5 that runs like a raped ape, so whatever you have, if it's s dog? You motor is tired...time to rebuild it or replace it.

And I don't see what being from calif has to do with anything....
With all due respect, there were over 280,000 HMMWVs built and at least 1/2 are likely to be released to the public. There are plenty for the purists to restore and plenty for others who want to go off roading and such too. Relax a little...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all due respect, there were over 280,000 HMMWVs built and at least 1/2 are likely to be released to the public. There are plenty for the purists to restore and plenty for others who want to go off roading and such too. Relax a little...
Im quite relaxed...and no half will not be released to the public.

snowtrac nome

I'm no restoration freak my love of mv's come from the fact they are all the same when a change happens it happens to the whole fleet I would not object to putting in a 6.5 td in the same dress as a m1114 has. to add on a side winder turbo or some other fabbed up turbo or ls defeats the reason I like these things. I like the idea that every hmmwv I look at should be about the same and if you call me out to work on one I already know what tools to bring along. hey at the end of the day its your rig do what you want. if your like the fast and loud or diesel brothers than its also a blank canvas

911joeblow

Im quite relaxed...and no half will not be released to the public.
For a guy preaching on restoring and not modding, I noticed in your signature a 1972 M35A2 "Bobbed Deuce", seems pretty hypocritical does it not?

Moving on to enjoying my HMMWVs in whatever respect I desire as I have the right to do as does anyone else who legally bought them does.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a guy preaching on restoring and not modding, I noticed in your signature a 1972 M35A2 "Bobbed Deuce", seems pretty hypocritical does it not?

Moving on to enjoying my HMMWVs in whatever respect I desire as I have the right to do as does anyone else who legally bought them does.
clearly you have a case of the a**, but bobbed deuces were prototypes for the XM381, do your home work.

MaverickH1

I’ll offer a different (maybe) take on this subject…

If I could have purchased a more common, simpler vehicle with a longer production period for cheaper, I would have. I’m not here because the vehicle happens to have been in the military. I’m here because the vehicle was only available from the military. I care nothing about collectability or purity. I’m only here because this is a tool, and I had to buy military surplus to get it.

We may not realize it now, but all of the posts that dig deep into how to modify the HMMWV also show another way to fix something. This will be valuable information 50 years from now if we can find it when HMMWV production stops and it is no longer in use by the military. Can you imagine having access to these conversations from people in the 70’s that were discussing how to modify a Willy’s Jeep to be a little bit better?

Your mileage may vary, but I think it’s all valuable discussion to military vehicles, even though there are plenty of things discussed that I would never do to my own vehicle.

MaverickH1

Add on turbos and bigger tires were wildly prototyped on hmwwv. LMAO.
Your an angry person
Look, I've been on other forums where new people ran off knowledgeable, high contributors. The knowledge that RWH has given in numerous threads has been extremely valuable to the community.

I'm pleading with you (and others) to have some respect and not treat this like Reddit.

Bocephus

Well said, Maverick.

But - to get respect you have to earn it. Calling people "FNG's", and telling people asking questions like the one posed on this topic is the same as coming to America and not speaking English, also run off people who can offer information that might be just as useful.

Either way, to the OP, I'd love to see pics and comments of your build along the way.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks