• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone tried to fit this pump in?

TsgtB

I'll order the $50 pump and wait till it gets here, then I'll have the old one to clean up for a spare...
Hopefully its not trashed, but I like the idea of the quieter and more psi unit. Nothing against an Olympic unit...

I'll see if i can find the proper "in tank" hose while I'm waiting... ( length, diam. immersion type specs)

TsgtB

Pump showed up today, ( 9 days ahead of their estimate..)
1/2" hose (immersion rated) was tough to find, but it should be here in a couple of days.

I hope I can get the wire plug off the original pump without having to peel it off like a spam can....
Has anyone come up with a better way to get it loose? Like a heat gun to melt the solder (if its soldered)
or how to get the crimped sltyle loose.... (vise grips?)

We'll see what I find... fun fun.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, its interesting to pull the wire off the old pumps!

Some come off with no fight, some destroy the old pump incredibly.

TsgtB

Well... i have lots of pressure, squirts good at primary and secondary, let it run out the secondary, no bubbles... still no start.
I've even cracked the injectors with no results, it would fire off briefly with starting fluid, but wouldnt stay lit.

I am hoping that its not a HH, it was running perfect when parked (a week ago).
I was getting no pressure out of the primary or secondaries when i replaced the in tank pump...
I hope its just some air in the lines....

red

There's 3 pumps in the system.

Tank pump-5+ psi
Booster pump-35+ psi at idle
Injection pump

The booster pump is built into the bottom of the injection pump.

Pull an injector line from the hydraulic head and crank the motor for about 10 seconds. Fuel should be squirting up repeatedly about 8-12 inches. If it squirts a few times then drops shorter and shorter to below 8", the booster pump is too weak. If you crank it and the fuel only dribbles out, its the hydraulic head or the button came off.

TsgtB

Thanks Red...
I'm really dreading this, as its a fresh depot rebuild with about 50 miles on it.

I know we're getting off the topic of this post, sorry...

rustystud

I just got mine. I run a machine and welding shop where we rebuild pumps, so I know a little about them. This pump is far superior to my old pump, which is more of a mixer than a pump. I have a pressure gauge on my filter housing and will report back pressures engine off/running idle/at speed.
You will find the pressures are about identical between them.

DavidWymore

You will find the pressures are about identical between them.
No, I got a Parker. The ones pictured are the old one(s) from my '62 and '70. The one from the '70 makes noise and flow but no pressure. It's kind of a joke of a pump, wide open tolerances made from stamped aluminum plates. The new Parker is a true pump, with a turbine style impeller that seals to the housing. It makes 10psi by itself, 40 psi at idle, and 80 at ~2500. 10psi more than the old one across the board. I will eventually play around with the old one and see if I can get some pressure out of it.

rustystud

No, I got a Parker. The ones pictured are the old one(s) from my '62 and '70. The one from the '70 makes noise and flow but no pressure. It's kind of a joke of a pump, wide open tolerances made from stamped aluminum plates. The new Parker is a true pump, with a turbine style impeller that seals to the housing. It makes 10psi by itself, 40 psi at idle, and 80 at ~2500. 10psi more than the old one across the board. I will eventually play around with the old one and see if I can get some pressure out of it.
I understand you have a "Parker" now. I have a new "Olympic" pump in my right tank and a almost new "Parker" pump in my left tank. The pressures are almost identical. The other pressures your talking about are the boost pressures from the injection pump.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

The Parkers seem to produce more pressure more other's experience, and definitely in mine.

Yes, I know it has a booster pump...

Floridianson asked earlier in the thread :

The interesting thing we be if anyone takes the time to see if the increase in pressure also increases the running pressure of the IP lift pump from the tm specs 35 idle to 75 at 2000rpm. Could it increase it ? Will it increase it? Does anyone care?
So that's my answer: yes - 10psi across the board.

rustystud

The Parkers seem to produce more pressure more other's experience, and definitely in mine.

Yes, I know it has a booster pump...

Floridianson asked earlier in the thread :

So that's my answer: yes - 10psi across the board.
OK your going against a "Old" pump correct ? I was using the data from two NEW pumps. One "Parker" and the other the factory "Olympic" pump.

DavidWymore

Yeah...but the "old" pump "worked". The point I'm trying to make is that the old pump isn't much of a pump...look at it. Crudely manufactured, wide open tolerances, not sealed, and it fell apart...I had to screw it back together (in my '70 thread). I suspect if the lift pump doesn't keep up withthe flow of the booster pump, the fuel ends up in a vacuum, which is not a big deal, but less than ideal. More pressure and flow from the tank is good all around. Better, smoother running, starting, the whole bit.

It would be interesting to compare gpm and pressure specs against a restriction. Which reminds me...in a deuce fuel system, there isn't any restriction at idle beside the fuel filters, right? The Parker returns a considerably larger stream of fuel to the tank.

rustystud

Yeah...but the "old" pump "worked". The point I'm trying to make is that the old pump isn't much of a pump...look at it. Crudely manufactured, wide open tolerances, not sealed, and it fell apart...I had to screw it back together (in my '70 thread). I suspect if the lift pump doesn't keep up withthe flow of the booster pump, the fuel ends up in a vacuum, which is not a big deal, but less than ideal. More pressure and flow from the tank is good all around. Better, smoother running, starting, the whole bit.

It would be interesting to compare gpm and pressure specs against a restriction. Which reminds me...in a deuce fuel system, there isn't any restriction at idle beside the fuel filters, right? The Parker returns a considerably larger stream of fuel to the tank.
In all honesty there is not much difference between the "Parker" and "Olympic" pumps (except sound levels) . Like I have said many times now, they both produce the same pressures in my system which has identical lines to each tank so they are also producing the same flow. If one pump can maintain 9psi in a 1/2" line and the second pump can also maintain 9psi in a 1/2" line then they both are flowing the same. I have gauges on both tanks and on my filters (before and after) . So I see what is going on every time I start my truck.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
THE WIRING... Old thread I know, but I didn't want to add another thread to the mix, and sorry I didn't take pics along the way... Unless your existing wiring already has the twist-lock type pump connector, I really suggest that the pigtail from the new pump be soldered to your old power lead. For those of us who haven't soldered for awhile (or ever) Chris Fix has a great 12 minute tutorial video here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu3TYBs65FM
When I did mine, I carefully/barely cut through and removed the shrink tubing from the new pump's pigtail, and removed the white ground wire from the pump. Then I pushed the woven shielding back to expose the power lead, and stripped the insulation back about 3/4" from the cut end. On the old pump's lead, after I dried off all the fuel from the pump and lead, I used a dremel with an abrasive disc to just barely cut through the pinch clamp on the pump end, then pried off the pinch clamp, pushed the woven shielding back to expose the wire, cut off the connector/pump, and stripped that lead back about 3/4" also. Next, I slipped a 3" long x 3/8" piece of shrink tube over the old cable's shielding. Then I slipped a 2" piece of 1/4" synflex brake hose over the wire itself, followed by a 1-1/2" long x 5/32 piece of shrink tubing. I then soldered the new pig tail lead to the old cable lead, slipped the 5/32 heat shrink over the joint, and shrunk it with a heat gun. Next, I slipped the 1/4" synflex over the newly soldered/shrink-tubed joint, and worked the shielding from both ends over the synflex to touch in the middle of the synflex. Once the shielding was covering the snyflex, I slipped the 3/8" shrink tube over the joint in the shielding, and shrunk it in place with the heat gun (the synflex and additional layer of heat shrink may sound like overkill, but the thought of arcing in any fuel tank gives me the willies. I beleive this is one of those times in life where some redundancy is a very good thing!). For the ground wire, I just used the one from the old pump because it already had ring teminals soldered to both ends. One end stays connected to the pump bracket, the other end connects to the terminal on the top of the new pump where the white wire was removed. That should be about it. My positive lead and the connections going into my fuse box were getting loose and crunchy, so I cut the lead back, and replaced the ring terminal on that end as well. That's why you see the shrink tubing at the top of the lead, and the new fuse box on top of the mount flange.

As a side note, If you're going to replace any of the in-tank wire or hose with new, you'll need to get the right stuff... You don't want just any wire or hose taking a constant bath in fuel. That e-auction site has vendors selling 14AWG, PTFE (Teflon) insulated wire for .99 cents a foot, which is what I'd use, and if you plan on replacing the hose, here's good info and a link for hose that's compatible with today's diesel biodiesel/blends, and about any fuel you'd run in your truck; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?177452-In-Tank-
[URL="https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?177452-In-Tank-Pump-Hose-For-Deuce"]Pump-Hose-For-Deuce

[/URL]IMG_20180321_141817577.jpgIMG_20180321_141822879.jpgIMG_20180321_181015739.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks