• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help out a new guy!

gonorth

The day went very well, it started at about 5:30 for Scott and I. My wife drove me to Cabellas (Owatonna) and Scott showed up minutes after we got there. Departed Owatonna around 6:45.

Mid way I called ahead to the base and briefed them on the lot numbers we were picking up. Got to Johnston and scouted out a place to park one of Scotts trucks for over nite for a Saturday pickup. Then headed to base.

Met up with the NG staff that handles the paper work and unlocks the trucks for you at about 10:15. I tell you what both of the NG people I have dealt with there are very friendly and nice to do business with. Paper work done we headed out to our trucks. He first took us to Scotts two, then to mine. I drove mine over to the lot Scotts truck was in where we both took the tarps off for the ride home.

The first pic is Scotts rig with the truck that we left in Johnston, my truck behind that. Then the same two trucks a little closer, Then Scotts first truck and mine even closer up.

I had a couple of surprises, small crack in the passenger windshield that I did not note during inspection, the shovel and pick that were on the tool rack of my truck at inspection time were gone. Oh well. My truck had extra bows in the cargo area, is missing the knob on the fuel shot off shaft (I knew that but had forgotten it). My parking brake basically does not work, tried tightening the knob several turns, guess will look at that more later. Crew seats not on one side of mine but the pieces are laying in the truck. Scott was completly missing crew seats on one of his.

We did a little closer inspection of Biggles truck, PM will be comeing.

My 220 mile ride home was uneventful, most of the ride I could easily do 56 and a little more except on even small hills it was down to 50. For about 30 miles about 3/4 of the way home on level ground I could hardly make it go 50, then suddenly it would do 56 again. Whats with that? Fuel filter? I got about 8 mpg but hard to say with a fuel tank like that you could easily be off by 3 gallons. Mine is driping some oil off the oil pan, probably the gasket but not sure. Oil was still right on the full line when I got home tho. Fuel guage on mine, said half full on base which it was. Filled up off base and the guage said full. As I hit the MN line I was down to just under 3/4 then it suddenly read full again. Cool, this truck makes fuel by itself. Stayed right on full until almost home at the pump where I put 26 gallons in it to fill it back up. Guess it wasn't makeing fuel after all. Shucks.

Have not talked to Scott since we parted ways at the intersection of I-35 and I-90 but I assume he is home and doing fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gastrap

Looks like a great day! Can't wait to get my invoice.
Kind of hard to see Scotts chains in the pic, but looks like only two. IIRC DOT requires 4 chains & 4 binders on any load over 10K#. Hope he doesn't get a high $$ ticket. BTW,Nice rig:-D

50shooter

Outstanding. Looks like a nice set of pickup gear and all in all a good trip home.

I don't know why people snag gear off others trucks. I'll admit to using a tool or two out of a truck but then I put back in the truck they came from. I'll also admit to the temptation to keep it but I know I wouldn't want someone doing that to me so it is a short temptation. Once I had a recovery of a dead truck only to get out there to find the shackles had been pilfered. Taking "booty" from the tool box is one thing but stripping the shackles is a bit much. Glad they left the fuel filter cans and wiper blades still on it.

Work put a wrench in the plan for me next week so my Dad is doing the recovery. I hired TMC trucking to bring them to the farm. 256 miles for $656.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya that pic was actually the one that I jsut brought about a mile off base to park it until I could get back down there (today) and get it. I do use 4 chains for hauling a deuce, it was just quicker for that little haul to just throw the two on it...nice eye though!

I just got home from getting my second truck, everything went smooth. I even had a tail wind to help push me home!

I was a little unimpressed with the security of the trucks at this base. I have only been to 3 other bases but every other place the GL rep stays with you until you leave. I can see why things go missing at the Iowa base. After he took off the locks from the chains around the steering wheel we never saw him again. I came back to get my second deuce and after I passed through security at the front gate I was on my own. I could have kept coming back and picking up trucks and nobody would have even noticed!

tm america

better check the truck out really good before you hit the road cuz a tow bill is way more than having it transported or even worse having an accident with no insurance

gonorth

You can get insurance on these things before you drive them away, you just need to start that process about the same time you send your EUC in. Hopefully if pics are needed from your ins company that the pics listed on the auction are good enough. They were for me.

Ya when compareing price to drive it home versus ship it remember it will cost you almost 30 cents a mile in fuel alone if you drive it home. (8 mpg at 2.40 a gallon)

Scott, I bet the security cameras at the gate would have had you recorded going out that gate with any extra trucks tho.

Last edited:

Biggles

oooooh I wish they would approve my paperwork or at least tell me how soon. I want to get my truck this friday but I can't make plans until i get my paperwork through

gonorth

Biggles, 7 business days counting the day GL sent it to BC until BC approves you on your first EUC. After that, 4 busniess days.

I know it is hard to wait. Do you have trucking lined up yet or is that why you need your euc confirmed?

Gastrap

Get your EUC today Biggles? I think yours & mine went to BC the same day & I didn't get mine yet. Hopefully by noon Friday so I can still go get it.:|
Ive had the same phone # & address for 17 years, should be pretty easy for them.

Biggles

i still haven't gotten mine. I had a truck that could do it cheap tomorrow but it's too late for that now.

-Sigh-

now they'll approve it and I wont be able to find anyone to ship it.

Biggles

i was right my EUC was approved saturday (I didn't even know that was an option) and I have arranged a shipper. He will get the truck some time this week but what do i need to send him? How much notice do I need to give the site to schedule an appointment? What's the shipper going to have to do to pick it up? Do I send the paid in full invoice to the shipper to bring with him or do i send it directly to the site or what?:?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

Gastrap

Congrats!

I got mine Saturday afternoon too, wasn't expecting that!
I think you need to send a copy of your invoice with the signed pickup authorization statement with your driver. Not sure about pickup days/times, I have to call yet myself. The contact on base is 515 252 4353.

I'm going to call in the morning & go get it if I can.