• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey Need help with a IP head part

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I have recently just replaced the head on the IP unit. Upon re-assemble I discover I was not getting fuel up to the injectors. further investigation lead me to find the retaining clip was broken that holds the nipple at the bottom of the head. the picture below show the retaining ring. Now the question is where in the world can i get this part or can I??? thank you for your time

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
American Bosch.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM gimpyrobb. I'm pretty sure he bought some too.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys have another question. I know that there is only one section of the head timing gear that is not covered when it drops into place, however does it matter what the rest of the timing marks are set at. The only reason I am asking is the motor was turned over with out the head in place so it is not set were it came out in.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I can't say for certain, but that's a bad thing. The head will only go in and out in one position. Now you need to get the motor and IP timed correctly so it will goback into place.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good manual for troubleshooting the HH is the LDS 465 Troubleshooting manual.

Page 39, paragraph k, has all the steps to check the HH timing.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you yea I was reading threeds how to remove and re-install the hole IP unit. I know the motor has to be top dead cylinder # 1 and your timing marks should be line up on the balanced and on the IP through the view port. But when i look at the hh gear in on the housing the gear is like two or three rotation of from lining up to fit in the slot

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What you want to do is, spin the motor over while looking in the socket the HH goes in. There is a gear that turns the HH. That gear has a flat washer on top of it. Once you see a "cut out" or "quarter moon" shape on that washer(the gear's teeth are not guarded by that washer anymore), you are all set to put the HH back in. Check the valves one the #1 cyl to make sure you are on the correct(compression) stroke.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right rob, it should be that easy, the hh turns once for every two crank revolutions. so if everything else is right, just getting that gear cutout in the right position so the hh drops right in should be exactly right. it should look like it is centered, evenly spaced so to speak.
of course after droping it in and installing the 4 nuts, you would double check the actual timing marks. (not the red tooth)

tom

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys I put the IP in and the truck cranked up; however, as soon as I hit the accelerator diesel fuel started pouring out the exhaust tube underneath the turbo. The truck then would stall out then die. The truck would then crank back up giving it a few seconds for the fuel to settle. I am so confused can some one please help me I am in way over my head.:deadhorse:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The only thing on that side of the motor that gets fuel is the flame heater for the intake. Can you see any bad fittings on there? Can you have someone start the truck while you watch that side of the motor?

RAYZER

What you want to do is, spin the motor over while looking in the socket the HH goes in. There is a gear that turns the HH. That gear has a flat washer on top of it. Once you see a "cut out" or "quarter moon" shape on that washer(the gear's teeth are not guarded by that washer anymore), you are all set to put the HH back in. Check the valves one the #1 cyl to make sure you are on the correct(compression) stroke.
Would the motor even start and run if the HH was installed 360° out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks