• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High Priced Deuce!

phil2968

Did anyone see this deuce on GL? It went for $11,500. It had been at that price since the auction started and closed at that!

1993 AM GENERAL M35A3 2 1/ 2 TON 6X6 CARGO TRUCK WITH WINCH. POWERED BY CATERPILLAR 3116 6-CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE DRIVING THROUGH AN ALLISON AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND TWO-SPEED TRANSFER CASE. VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH A PERSONNEL HEATER. SN: 502502. SOFT TOP, ODOMETER READS 000463 MILES WITH 0084 HOURS OF OPERATION. DRIVEN ONTO LOT

What do ya think about that!

Attachments

jollyroger

I have seen some A3's with winches and 400 miles go for that kind of money. I saw an XM35A2 on GL yesterday and the bid was up to almost $12000. It did not look special to me. It had the cargo cover and looked really nice but not for that price IMO. Am I missing something?

todds112

Saw that. The ones in Utah went way high too. There's NEVER anything within 500 miles of here. When I saw A3's at Clearfield, UT it peaked my interest. They quickly went out of my price range. I saw the one that ran (complete with combat starter:roll:) had the headlights taken out of it. I couldn't get down to preview it, so I was worried about what else may have been taken out.

I just know someone is buying them up to re-sell at a huge, absurd profit.:-x

jollyroger

I saw a trio of A3's last month out of Wisconsin all the same, winches, 1000 miles or less, personel heaters etc. Nice, clean and they went for over $13,000, before fees. I am not begrudging anyone that wants one. That is just more than I am willing to pay for one. I still don't understand the XM35A2 for the same price. I must be missing something. I agree with you about there are never any trucks around us for 500 miles. Oh well. Just means we gotta take road trips right?

BugEyeBear

It just goes to show that people will pay for what they want and that not everyone is a low ball d-bag looking for something for nothing.
I will never understand people who question what others pay for something.
I know this board is full of experts looking for everything they want ant their price, but this thread is ridiculous.
One thing I have learned about MV experts (personally I think they are bunch of gong kicking picture collectors and wanna be bad azzes), if they want it, your stuff is junk and over priced.
If they sell it, it's top of the line and worth every penny.
There's 2 prices for people like this, cheap or free.
And as for whoever buying these turning around and selling them for a profit, so be it. It's called free market economy.
But on here it seems to be want it for free economy.
Don't "Sugar Coat" It...

Tell us how you REALLY FEEL!!

:soapbox:

(Wow! Who peed in HIS Wheeties this morning??) :p

BugEyeBear

Considering what it would cost you to build an equivalent truck it is still a good price!

Just compare it to what $11K to $13K will buy you in an "everyday ordinary" pick-up truck.
I know that I've spent many more $$ for a much lesser vehicle!!
What did YOUR "every day car" cost??

With only 463 miles & 84 hours it is barely broken in!!

Buyer will probably have NO PROBLEM selling it for a nice tidy profit!!

We've all been blessed w CHEAP Deuces for quite a while now.....
But those bargain prices won't last forever.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, Is this from trying to sell an unrestored M37 for $3800 and you didn't like the responses?

Snarky

If they [MV Experts] want it, your stuff is junk and over priced. If they sell it, it's top of the line and worth every penny.
I'll agree with that, you just have to play harder and if they call your stuff junk, call them on their BS, and when you say their 'top of the line' stuff is over priced, that just shows you're an expert.

There's no reason to get hostile though.

But seriously folks, you're paying for vehicles that were $45,000+ when they were new. If everything is working, and when you account for inflation and the fact that these things have some traits that are superior to the even new FMTVS, the prices we pay are really a steal.

I paid almost double the usual going price for my truck because it came with decent oversized tires and was pretty clean. Some here would call me crazy, but I wasn't too thrilled about the prospect of dealing with the GL hassle. My truck was worth what it was worth to me and if I ever sell it, I'll sell it for more than I paid for it, because I keep everything working or I wont sell it at all.

I'm not a steelsoldier to make a profit, I'm here because I like military hardware.

g102

I think justal's thinking has a lot of truth to it. I know some guys that keep buying trucks that are low and they only "NEED TO THROW A CAB ON IT" or something like that. what do they end up doing? sell it off for another one and just keep rotating vehicles and never end up with just one really nice vehicle. you have to pay to play, it is just that simple

jollyroger

This has been said before but I will reiterate for the remedial students. I, let me repeat, I would not pay $13000 for an M35A3. That does not mean that NO ONE should pay that price for that truck. That also does not mean that the truck is not worth that kind of money. I am just saying that I....Yet again....I would not pay that much money for that truck. This is why I don't own one. This is also merely an opinion and I represented it as such. Go back and reread my post.

If I am looking for bargains I am fully entitled to. There is no law, regulation or guideline that says I have to pay more than I want to for anything. It is my choice and I choose accordingly. I am offended that you insinuate that I and others on this site are rediculous, or a D-Bag as you put it, for being a smart shopper and staying within our limits. I am also offended that you, Justal67, insinuate that I and others on this site want everything for free. Look at my signature. I own some stuff. None of which was procured for FREE.

This is just a conversation. Nothing more. If you don't agree with it that is your opinion and I can fully respect that. What I don't respect is your tone. You seem to be really angry about this conversation. I am not a "picture collector" or a "Bad AZZZ" whatever you mean by that. I find this website to be friendly and helpful with some fun ribbing between like minded people. We all have something in common and that is the enjoyment of Military Vehicles. And I am just going to leave this on that note.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't have anything to do with wanting something for nothing. Most older MV's can be found very inexpensive if you really look for them and know where to look. As for M37's I just got back from Wisconsin in September with the one I just bought for my wife. 1962 w/w and hardtop no rust and it has the 4.88's with a detroit locker in the back. Was $2525. I can probably tell you where to find whatever model older MV within a few hours in very good shape and relatively inexpensively. These A3's are a different thing. A3's go high, I don't think i've ever seen a nice one under 7K which is a VERY good price. Lumping all MV owners into one big group is just ignorant. Gary did make a good point there are many people that collect trucks, really don't do anything with them and swap them out ALOT. But that is their choice. If someone low balls you just don't sell it to them.:wink:

derby

I think there are a couple types of guy's and gal's on here. some like to buy fixer uppers,some like to get a nice truck or what ever right off the bat. that is what they like to do and that is why it is called a hobby. I am of the fixer upper's, not that i am cheap but i like to wrench on stuff. Oh wait a minute I am cheap!:razz:

jollyroger

So your accusations were general in nature and did not have anything to do with anyone that was replying to this post. You are just on a rant.

There is a coverse to your argument. A flipside to the coin. You don't like the people that are bargain hunters. I think we all get that. I am one. Self admittedly. I have no problem with being one. I understand the market and educate myself to the supply, demand and other factors that change the prices for equipment I am looking for from government surplus. Should I be upset with you and call you a "D-bag" for paying retail or expecting that everyone should pay your percived "price"?

My question on this post which you seemed to have missed was why is a XM35A2 selling for $12,000. I don't get it. Please educate me.