• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High Priced Deuce!

NEIOWA

The 3116 was probably the worst engine (reliability) CAT ever put in an over the road vehicle when compared to their other engines. It was advertised as the next great CAT engine and ended up costing CAT a lot of money in warranty fixes/damaged reputation. CAT is now out of the over the road truck engine market.
It's a light/medium duty engine for parcel size trucks they are not 15l mountainmover. Idiots that cranked them up to 300+ hp broke them. At 175hp and in a small truck (like an M35) and with a brain they will do just fine. Certainly a reasonable replacement for the original engines.

GoHot229

dittle bravo..... you got that one pegged ! As for A3's aaaa... I 'spose their ok. They have the newer kind of drive train, and I suppose some want that, but then some want a dozen of everything MV. Thats cool, but its not for everyone, nor can everyone afford large collections. But hay... I have just one Deuce, a stocker whistler. Plenty for me. Would I get more if I won the lottery.....mabe. Mabe a wreaker or a kitchen trailer/mess trailer, I don't know the M# but most here know what I mean. Am I fond of the A3? mmmm, not really. I'd like to get another Deuce A2 and cut it up and make a tractor... an actual tractor with two axles, you know a farm type fabrication. And I'd like to have a spare multifuel motor, but this having acres of stuff just ain't for me. Are things overpriced? Oh I'm sure there things that go for way too high of money. Likely to that newb that has not educated theirself on just what the values are, or even just what kind of MV's there are. Probably saw one somewhere and went gonzo from there, just had deep pockets. There even those here that are hoping to find that type. as there are a bunch of members here selling for a living and have MV parts/sales companys. But as I'v said before, and everyone knows it, so it's no revelation or mystery.....and that is the economy will not support the high prices that merchants want, so for alot of them they will be setting on alot of their overpriced items/vehicles. but oh well. I look for deals, but I'm not a jerk about it. Theres just some things that have priority as accessories that I want. And unless some of the prices become realistic.... well I don't need it that bad. Then you got folks buying bits and pieces for 5-6-7 or more MV's in various stages of restoration, or just returning to serviceability. Yea the prices out there are probably too high, and for those it must be a burden to have to come up with thousand 's rather than a single thousand.

abh3

I've got 6 or 8 A2s in various stages of repair, ranging from turn-key to work dump to parts vehicles, and I've had some really pretty low-mile A2s in the past. I've played with, praised, worked and cursed these vehicles. I've also got several 5.9 Cummins around here, all the stuff to put one in a Deuce (bellhousing, flywheel, compressor, etc) even an Allison 545.

But I paid $9,245.32 total for an M35A3 w/w with 1600 miles on it and haven't regretted it a bit. There's just no comparison between an A2 and A3 EXCEPT the A2 is cheaper and probably tougher, at least you aren't as uptight about beating on a $2000 truck! The A3 auto is proven, works great and is common as dirt (yes, look under a schoolbus) , the CAT 3116 is lightyears ahead of our friend ol' multi, that bearing spinning beast. Air-o-Matic steering and the auto makes it a pleasure to drive in parades, around town and riding trails, women can actually drive the thing. CTIS is handy when you're alternatively on trails and pavement. This A3 even SMELLS different, maybe it's all the rubber on the floor, sound-deadner or undercoat...

Is it better? To me, yes, without a doubt. Isn't it expensive? No, not when you think about building an A2 to the same point: $1200 non runner A2, $4000 LOW mile 5.9 or 3116, $1200 Air-O-Matic, $1000 of coversion bits (b-housing, flex-plate, starter, hoses, intercooler, etc. think about it), $1800 re-con Allison 545... You'll have better than $8G and countless hours of work (or a fortune in someone else's work) in your A2 and still not have CTIS, the nice driver's seat, a real heater, sound-deadning and all the benefits of a really low mile vehicle like few to no driveline leaks, perfect tires, unrusty windshields and no general 'crustiness' of old M35s.

If you like the features and can swing the dough, save yourself a bunch of time, aggravation and money and buy an A3 while you still can...

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyways,back to those A3's out of Utah,what did they end up going for? I bid on one and cant seem to pull up the closed auction to find out. Thanks!
^^Anyways^^ back to those A3s in Utah, does anyone know what they sold for? There were four in two different recent auctions.

One thing I have learned is you have to know what things are selling for in order to recognize a good deal when you see one, and when to keep your wallet closed.

I would like to know what they have been selling for, in order to not make one of my brother SS members pay too much for one he is in love with :-D