• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Another Ahab, I can't proclaim "top of the mark" with my flying skills. I have used a nose up and nose left or right attitude to bleed off airspeed in a tight spot. I always hope that flaps down and gear down will happen before anything before that happens!

The guys who flew gliders were amazing. What they did was pretty amazing.

-
The tractor aircraft pilots were not slouches either.
loading up

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The tractor aircraft pilots were not slouches either.
loading up
The training film was really neat. Note that the SEATS were built out of wood... Rope was used for Load-Binders... Last images were as the glider went airborne before the C-47 lifted off before the glider.

Glider 01.jpgGlider 02.jpgGlider 03 Equipment TieDowns.jpgGlider 04.jpgGlider 05 Load Jeep.jpgGlider 06 Jeep TieDown.jpgGlider 07 Jeep Prepare To OffLoad.jpgGlider 08 Prepare To Load Canon.jpgGlider 01.jpgGlider 02.jpgGlider 03 Equipment TieDowns.jpgGlider 04.jpgGlider 05 Load Jeep.jpgGlider 06 Jeep TieDown.jpgGlider 07 Jeep Prepare To OffLoad.jpgGlider 08 Prepare To Load Canon.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I saw on old documentary about the Market-Garden operation over the weekend. Sure were a lot of on fire gliders coming in to land. Once of fire, they sure burned fast.
For sure... Those things appear to be mostly of wood.

Also noticed that their load binders are rope. Guessing that weight is a factor, so chains weren't used. Also saw in the training video that the "sprung" trailers have blocks of wood to wedge between the top of the axle and the top of the trailer to stop up and down motion.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If the load was rigged right then on landing the load did not go forward to kill the pilot, The entire nose swung up, yanked by the load. Didn't always work but that was the plan. Horsa didn't do that.
swing cockpit

Jumps were made from gliders.
"I was almost glad to get into combat though; it was easier than the training.”
Hard deal

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If the load was rigged right then on landing the load did not go forward to kill the pilot, The entire nose swung up, yanked by the load. Didn't always work but that was the plan. Horsa didn't do that.
swing cockpit

Jumps were made from gliders.
"I was almost glad to get into combat though; it was easier than the training.”
Hard deal
It appeared to me that the nose would be ripped skyward if the load shifted.
That was a guess on my part in that first training film.

Those guys did some AMAZING things Frank!

.TM

SgtMajHarper

It appeared to me that the nose would be ripped skyward if the load shifted.
That was a guess on my part in that first training film.

Those guys did some AMAZING things Frank!

.TM
I didn't see any special hardware mounted in the gliders or wheel barrows parked around outside of them from al the gear they would have needed to carry their nads around. All that they had to go thru and were going to go thru and oh yeah.....didn't they get a whole $50 a month more???

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I didn't see any special hardware mounted in the gliders or wheel barrows parked around outside of them from al the gear they would have needed to carry their nads around. All that they had to go thru and were going to go thru and oh yeah.....didn't they get a whole $50 a month more???
I am sure you noticed that every one of them were hustling the entire time too...

Jacking up the tail of the plane with a metal pole and two 2x4's was amazing.
A dozen guys definitely had the horsepower to get the job done!

Wow. It definitely wasn't for the money.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I joined our local Aviation Museum in the early 90's and one of the privileges was ridiculous close access to the F-117 when it came to Edmonton.

I recall being nervous standing so close to it thinking how "I" had special access. Everyone had special access when it was put on public display. Now I realize we only see what others want us to see. Still real cool being dragged around by the Museum director before anyone else got to the airshow. Join that museum fellas, membership has its privileges.

I didn't have a camera in 92' for some reason but stayed around the airport for days watching low flying arrivals and departures. Use your imagination, lay on the hood of your truck and picture the Antonov An-225 flying over your face at the threshold.

Airshow departures are insane.....within reason. Almost everyone shoots a low fly-by on departure. Thanks for the f-117 memory!

""""""File consists of photographs of an airshow in Namao, Alberta. Some of the airplanes on display to a crowd include a stealth bomber, a CCCP-82060 387 cargo plane with a Ukrainian flag on the tail, and some other jets with Ukrainian flags and smaller . """"""

Another Ahab

I saw on old documentary about the Market-Garden operation over the weekend. Sure were a lot of on fire gliders coming in to land. Once of fire, they sure burned fast.
I recently ran across the obituary of the guy who warned Montgomery and his staff that Market Garden was a disaster waiting to happen.

Apparently the man had the hard intelligence. But Montgomery and staff ignored it.

Seems like that should a war crime of sorts. Those soldiers did not have to die like that.

Let me see if I can find that obit...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I joined our local Aviation Museum in the early 90's and one of the privileges was ridiculous close access to the F-117 when it came to Edmonton.

I recall being nervous standing so close to it thinking how "I" had special access. Everyone had special access when it was put on public display. Now I realize we only see what others want us to see. Still real cool being dragged around by the Museum director before anyone else got to the airshow. Join that museum fellas, membership has its privileges.

I didn't have a camera in 92' for some reason but stayed around the airport for days watching low flying arrivals and departures. Use your imagination, lay on the hood of your truck and picture the Antonov An-225 flying over your face at the threshold.

Airshow departures are insane.....within reason. Almost everyone shoots a low fly-by on departure. Thanks for the f-117 memory!

""""""File consists of photographs of an airshow in Namao, Alberta. Some of the airplanes on display to a crowd include a stealth bomber, a CCCP-82060 387 cargo plane with a Ukrainian flag on the tail, and some other jets with Ukrainian flags and smaller . """"""
It is mo better when being duh pilot

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I recently ran across the obituary of the guy who warned Montgomery and his staff that Market Garden was a disaster waiting to happen.

Apparently the man had the hard intelligence. But Montgomery and staff ignored it.

Seems like that should a war crime of sorts. Those soldiers did not have to die like that.

Let me see if I can find that obit...
Soldiers die
Many ways
Some, looking back, decide that was not proper
They were not there

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks