• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV acquisition and rebuild

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks really good just as it is. Way better idea to start with something like this rather than a pair of frame rails! Where did you find it? Unusual to find the pickup version, everyone quickly makes a 4 door out of them.

jeremymx26

Looks really good just as it is. Way better idea to start with something like this rather than a pair of frame rails! Where did you find it? Unusual to find the pickup version, everyone quickly makes a 4 door out of them.
I found it from a private individual. 4 doors seem more useful for me. A pickup with a cargo cover would be kinda ok I guess, but a family of 3 will dictate the 4 door.
I still have my M35A2 for a pickup. [thumbzup]
Coincidentally it is almost exactly a year since I bought my M35 and had to have another. Amazing how this hobby grips you.

Gunzy

Sweet ride. I would like one but can't justify the cost. Post more pics as you make changes.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the truck models a lot. I think if I ever bought one, that's what I'd want.

Congratulations, it looks great.

jeremymx26

what needs to be repaired on it? By any chance did you pick that up in NJ?
I picked it up in MD. So far the rear main seal is leaking badly, fan clutch module is MIA, front lights inop, wipers inop, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch and momentary switch.
She's going to be a project for sure. Do you know the truck?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked it up in MD. So far the rear main seal is leaking badly, fan clutch module is MIA, front lights inop, wipers inop, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch and momentary switch.
She's going to be a project for sure. Do you know the truck?

Does not sound bad....leaky rear main is common till you get the new 2 piece seal installed.
No front lights? Check light switch setting or a bad switch...assuming wire harness good.
not sure why this would have a toggle switch....EESS and TSU should work for you....post a pics of the engine bay and wire harnesses in that area.

jeremymx26

Does not sound bad....leaky rear main is common till you get the new 2 piece seal installed.
No front lights? Check light switch setting or a bad switch...assuming wire harness good.
not sure why this would have a toggle switch....EESS and TSU should work for you....post a pics of the engine bay and wire harnesses in that area.
I think the wiring harness is cut. I did not check it out yet. I hope to go over it sometime this week and I will post some pictures. Is the 2 peice crank seal a design change. Is it replaced similar to a 4.0L jeep engine or does the crank need to be removed.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully is ain't a body harness that is effed up...if so, just replace it....really, you will be much happier in the long run.

rear main seal used to be 2 pieces of wax impregnated rope....now they are a modern tough rubber material.
you have to drop the starter, drop the oil pan, remove oil pump and rear crank bearing cap...the procedure is in the TM, it ain't hard, just take your time. While you are in there, you might want to replace the oil pump...it's cheap.
oh, and you don't need an oil pan gasket...so don't bother, just clean EVERYTHING real good and apply RTV, especially in there rear....you will need the rear bearing cap seal....what I do I buy the oil pan gasket kit from O'Reillys or Napa, I toss the pan gasket but use the rear seal....the real main has to be purchased separate.

vitamink

It looks a lot like one that Chris from NJ built, but now that you've explained it, i doubt he did. If you need any extra parts, let me know i may have some lying around that i'll give you a deal on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks