• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Doors/ Tops

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One advantage of RAPCO is they sell rattle cans of paint as well as gallons, so it's pretty easy to touch it up later.
CARC is a much tougher coating, so doesn't need touched up or fixed anywhere near as much as paint does.

pictures probably won't show you what the colors look like in real life, due to lighting and camera differences.

Here is my truck painted in Rapco 383 green. The soft door has no paint on it, so is just however much it's faded from new.
weinermobile.jpg

same paint, different lighting
cb99d7fa3059216a74a5481089091c89a1cb5b09-2-1.jpg

Parked next to a truck that has CARC
218915879_2861621750757721_3223374783337205356_n.jpg
135225986_4014843928560994_7014188632469100356_n.jpg

some of the other pics linked are same paint but different lighting conditions.
c7c2f9b63841254c7823013dad306619abcc034c-22.jpg
5213ddaaaaa8f14207a3bf9aaa84754411b64a9c-4.jpg

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The RAPCO 383 does dull over time, not that it is bad to begin with, I love RAPCO, they ship fast, the rattle cans match the gallons perfectly, lays out nice mixed as directed, I am by no means a painter but it is some of the best paint I have used.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The RAPCO 383 does dull over time, not that it is bad to begin with, I love RAPCO, they ship fast, the rattle cans match the gallons perfectly, lays out nice mixed as directed, I am by no means a painter but it is some of the best paint I have used.
Gotta agree with you on the RAPCO paint @Mogman . It is good stuff and they have great customer service. I have placed several orders over the years, and I have never wondered when my stuff is going to arrive. Order and it just shows up in a couple of days...

jake20

Oh you painted the truck using their rattle cans? Was it practical/easy enough? I have some reservations against rattle cans to paint a vehicle but if it works well then I wouldn't mind giving it a go, I know my finger gets tired holding the cans usually :p

I was planning on getting some form of the cheap harbor freight spray guns that go for $15 each, one for each color. I believe people dilute the paint when using the sprayers, though I don't know with what and what ratio of dilution. So I'd give the truck a light sanding, remove any existing paint chips, and go for it with the spray gun.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh you painted the truck using their rattle cans? Was it practical/easy enough? I have some reservations against rattle cans to paint a vehicle but if it works well then I wouldn't mind giving it a go, I know my finger gets tired holding the cans usually :p

I was planning on getting some form of the cheap harbor freight spray guns that go for $15 each, one for each color. I believe people dilute the paint when using the sprayers, though I don't know with what and what ratio of dilution. So I'd give the truck a light sanding, remove any existing paint chips, and go for it with the spray gun.
Dilute at 10-15 percent and find yourself a piece of cardboard to start with. Spray that and see how it works - and be sure it isn't dripping and spitting. Then find an old piece of metal - that doesn't soak up the paint and see how that works. No need to make a mess of your truck with beginner painting skills.

Don't think that rattle cans aren't possible. When I started out that worked amazingly well. Cover a few feet of well prepared metal on an old rusty crusty truck with rattle can - and eventually I got the bed on my M936 into presentable form. Lots of wire brushing. Lots of wiping with lacquer thinner, then prime, then paint. All with a rattle can. That way I could work on it until I got tired, then go at it another day. The prep work took more time than the actual painting for sure...

WEAR A MASK. Simply stated, CARC will kill you.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One advantage of RAPCO is they sell rattle cans of paint as well as gallons, so it's pretty easy to touch it up later.
CARC is a much tougher coating, so doesn't need touched up or fixed anywhere near as much as paint does.

pictures probably won't show you what the colors look like in real life, due to lighting and camera differences.

Here is my truck painted in Rapco 383 green. The soft door has no paint on it, so is just however much it's faded from new.
View attachment 889967

same paint, different lighting
View attachment 889970

Parked next to a truck that has CARC
View attachment 889971
View attachment 889975

some of the other pics linked are same paint but different lighting conditions.
View attachment 889972
View attachment 889973
I probably should have mentioned the first picture is about 3 years after I painted it with RAPCO. I sprayed it using a cheaper power sprayer (wagner) and then touched up places with rattle cans after that dried.

I spoke with Rapco a couple years ago when they changed suppliers for their rattle cans. They buy the paint in gallons from Gillespie to their own specifications (so you can't just order from Gillespie because it's Rapco's specific blend) then fill the rattle cans in house from the gallon cans.

It takes a couple months for the paint to fully cure. Also a lot of factors will affect how the paint comes out, like temp and humidity. Something painted up in the high desert in summer will look a little different than something painted in winter in the rain.

The rattle cans put the paint on pretty thin, so you'll need to do a lot of coats if you're trying to change something from Tan to Green in color (I have an M1102 trailer that I painted with just rattle cans and the paint wore through to the tan CARC in a few places)

mccullek

I probably should have mentioned the first picture is about 3 years after I painted it with RAPCO. I sprayed it using a cheaper power sprayer (wagner) and then touched up places with rattle cans after that dried.

I spoke with Rapco a couple years ago when they changed suppliers for their rattle cans. They buy the paint in gallons from Gillespie to their own specifications (so you can't just order from Gillespie because it's Rapco's specific blend) then fill the rattle cans in house from the gallon cans.

It takes a couple months for the paint to fully cure. Also a lot of factors will affect how the paint comes out, like temp and humidity. Something painted up in the high desert in summer will look a little different than something painted in winter in the rain.

The rattle cans put the paint on pretty thin, so you'll need to do a lot of coats if you're trying to change something from Tan to Green in color (I have an M1102 trailer that I painted with just rattle cans and the paint wore through to the tan CARC in a few places)
I put some of the Behr paint using the federal tan mixture on mine and I like the texture and color. I just did some test spots, but I plan to spray the entire vehicle when the weather improves. I have one of the professional airless sprayers, has anyone used one of those with the Behr or any other version of flat exterior house paint on a vehicle? If so, how did it turn out?

I also have some of the Harbor Freight air sprayers and have used those with enamel paint in the past, but wonder how the Behr will lay down using that?

Finally, I think I could spray it with Raptor bedliner for about $600, but spending about $100 on the Behr paints seems like a no brainer, just not sure which sprayer would be best?

Any input on these Ideas would be appreciated if you have tried any of them.

Reactions: cwc

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So on the topic of paint, what have y'all decided on what you want to do for the doors/truck in general?

I'm stuck between doing:

1: Rapco 383 Green, Rapco, 383 Brown, Rapco 911 Flat Black

2: Behr Paint (Haven't dug up what the paint codes would be for the standard woodland camo)

The things I've read by just digging around is that Rapco is pretty good, but has a very slight sheen compared to the original flat carc. This doesn't bother me too much I think. Meanwhile the Behr paint can get scuffed up easily is another thing I've heard.

If anyone has some pictures of their trucks with either paints, along with the paint codes, would be interested in seeing the results.
Rapco spray can touch up sections here and front winch bracket. I am happy with the results. Sorry, I didn't have any other pictures in my phone.

Attachments

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WEAR A MASK. Simply stated, CARC will kill you.
For sure need to wear a mask and my understanding is that the newer Water Based CARC has about the same toxicity as regular paint?
I used the 2K CARC Spray Cans from Sherwin Williams. It also comes in gallon size, it’s about $275 + $65 for the component B (CARC is a 2 part mix), IIRC the ratio is 2:1 or 3:1 and once it’s mixed, it has a certain shelf life.
I tried both, Behr and Rapco Tan, but nothing compares to the CARC Tan. maybe it’s OK on the green.

Last edited:

swabbie

Most likely this has been discussed before, but I've not seen it, so here is a question about doors and
Govplanet's vehicles. Obviously, any X doors have been stripped from the vehicles they sell.

The question is:
(1) Where are those X doors now, and
(2) Who does this and why? (removing any X doors) ?

Thanks for your reply.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told it was because they are Kevlar which puts them into the "armor" category.
But I have seem trucks sell with the doors and the doors themselves at auction so........

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most likely this has been discussed before, but I've not seen it, so here is a question about doors and
Govplanet's vehicles. Obviously, any X doors have been stripped from the vehicles they sell.

The question is:
(1) Where are those X doors now, and
(2) Who does this and why? (removing any X doors) ?

Thanks for your reply.
Most of the trucks you see being sold without doors had armored doors, which are totally different than X-doors. The armored doors are about 3” thick, with different door closing mechanisms, much larger hinges (an armored door weighs around 150-200lbs or maybe even more from what I could tell from opening it and closing it). There are no X-doors coming off those trucks and the armored ones are being destroyed under the government supervision.

Here is a closer look:

78D71CB7-9D2B-4B46-B7A7-D66D932D723C.jpeg

9B32F393-4CB7-45D0-9CC2-63434C4F54FD.jpeg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the trucks you see being sold without doors had armored doors, which are totally different than X-doors. The armored doors are about 3” thick, with different door closing mechanisms, much larger hinges (an armored door weighs around 150-200lbs or maybe even more from what I could tell from opening it and closing it). There are no X-doors coming off those trucks and the armored ones are being destroyed under the government supervision.

Here is a closer look:

View attachment 890267

View attachment 890265
There are tons of never armored trucks selling without any doors, many of those may or may not have had X doors to begin with but still no doors

Autonomy_Lost

They might just want to hold onto them. Last I checked AM General doesnt even make the rear x-doors anymore, and they only make the fronts in very limited runs.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are tons of never armored trucks selling without any doors, many of those may or may not have had X doors to begin with but still no doors
My bad, I only look for three models, 1151A1, 1165A1 and 1167, didn’t pay attention to other ones. Good point!

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They might just want to hold onto them. Last I checked AM General doesnt even make the rear x-doors anymore, and they only make the fronts in very limited runs.
From what I learned, the X-doors are still being made, not by AMG indeed. There are large orders in place with very long lead times (over 9 months)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks