• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv won't start

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an odd one, I was having issues with my M998, i came back from off roading and the next day I had a real hard time starting it and tons of white smoke once it got going, after checking around I found that the glow plug terminal where shot, all pited and broken, I replaced them as well as the glow plugs, then it was fine for a while, sometimes it started fine, other time lots of white smoke, I also got the matching set of the KDS SSS from Erik's, since then, it starts like a charm, a slight puff of black smoke and that's it.
I also installed the ground kit from Kascar.
If you have swollen glow plugs, get this tools, it works: GM GLOW PLUG PULLER TOOL GPET-001

from JJ and A Racing Products

ruSSrt

That's an odd one, I was having issues with my M998, i came back from off roading and the next day I had a real hard time starting it and tons of white smoke once it got going, after checking around I found that the glow plug terminal where shot, all pited and broken, I replaced them as well as the glow plugs, then it was fine for a while, sometimes it started fine, other time lots of white smoke, I also got the matching set of the KDS SSS from Erik's, since then, it starts like a charm, a slight puff of black smoke and that's it.
I also installed the ground kit from Kascar.
If you have swollen glow plugs, get this tools, it works: GM GLOW PLUG PULLER TOOL GPET-001
from JJ and A Racing Products
I'll be getting a new S3 with TSU. After that i'll recheck my new glow plugs.

infidel got me

I have one to add, as this one had me scratching my head for a while. FINALLY got my truck home and its a no start. Did all the diag. and came up with a bad dumb start box...

Pulled the box from a runner and tried it... White smoke, normal light cycle, glow plugs must not be powering up??? Unscrewed main bulkhead connector, and there it was... A main wire, green and maybe two strands of wire holding on. I found it by total accident-- but something to add to your toolbox of knowledge. I repaired wire and three unicorns ran across my back yard. All was good, operating as designed...

Also, I rtv around the connector base cause the rubber donut wont keep water out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks