• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv won't start

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an odd one, I was having issues with my M998, i came back from off roading and the next day I had a real hard time starting it and tons of white smoke once it got going, after checking around I found that the glow plug terminal where shot, all pited and broken, I replaced them as well as the glow plugs, then it was fine for a while, sometimes it started fine, other time lots of white smoke, I also got the matching set of the KDS SSS from Erik's, since then, it starts like a charm, a slight puff of black smoke and that's it.
I also installed the ground kit from Kascar.
If you have swollen glow plugs, get this tools, it works: GM GLOW PLUG PULLER TOOL GPET-001

from JJ and A Racing Products

ruSSrt

That's an odd one, I was having issues with my M998, i came back from off roading and the next day I had a real hard time starting it and tons of white smoke once it got going, after checking around I found that the glow plug terminal where shot, all pited and broken, I replaced them as well as the glow plugs, then it was fine for a while, sometimes it started fine, other time lots of white smoke, I also got the matching set of the KDS SSS from Erik's, since then, it starts like a charm, a slight puff of black smoke and that's it.
I also installed the ground kit from Kascar.
If you have swollen glow plugs, get this tools, it works: GM GLOW PLUG PULLER TOOL GPET-001
from JJ and A Racing Products
I'll be getting a new S3 with TSU. After that i'll recheck my new glow plugs.

infidel got me

I have one to add, as this one had me scratching my head for a while. FINALLY got my truck home and its a no start. Did all the diag. and came up with a bad dumb start box...

Pulled the box from a runner and tried it... White smoke, normal light cycle, glow plugs must not be powering up??? Unscrewed main bulkhead connector, and there it was... A main wire, green and maybe two strands of wire holding on. I found it by total accident-- but something to add to your toolbox of knowledge. I repaired wire and three unicorns ran across my back yard. All was good, operating as designed...

Also, I rtv around the connector base cause the rubber donut wont keep water out.

Last edited: