• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hot rod deuce and half

plym49

Thanks again.
I used WW2 semi-gloss from gillespie coatings. Looks good but not as durable as I'd like, I should have added a hardner when I sprayed it.

I understand what your saying about the springs. But I believe they are correct. If they were reversed the long main spring would be on top of the pack thus, holding all the weight. The only way the lowers could be stretched and used. Would be buy placing all the tension on the spring clamps holding the main to the shorter leafs underneath.
In a standard auto all weight is pushed down thru the main leaf, to the shorter support leafs.
This setup is a little different because gravity is trying to pull the body away from the axle. As opposed to standard eliptical where the body is being pushed toward the axle.
At least thats how I figure it. I could be mistaken. It definitely wouldnt be the first time.
I understand what you are saying, and agree that it is confusing.

Here's the way I am thinking about it (and I could be mistaken as well):

Leaf springs are set up so that jounce (vehicle moving downwards) compresses the short leaves against the longer leaves 'above' them. So, as the spring compresses due to jounce (increased vertical load) the force progresses from the shortest leaf to the longest (or main) leaf.

But the spring is not smart enough to know which part of it is connected to the axle, or the frame. It just see load (released during rebound).

By this rationale, the little springs on your pack should be at the bottom. I agree that it looks better the way they are on your buggy, but my feeling (and again, I might be mistaken) is that the spring should be flipped so the short leaves are on the bottom.

Think of your quarter-elliptic suspension as half of a Deuce bogie rear suspension. On the Deuce, the little leafs are on the bottom.

There might not be anything wrong in having the spring in upside down as the components you used are plenty strong enough for the light vehicle. But the spring pack might not be working properly, and the little springs are (maybe) just acting to stiffen the assembly, with the 'suspension' coming from the outer end of the main leaf.

Please do not interpret my comments as criticisms. Your build is fantastic.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big Block G749 Rat Rod Preservation Association

The BBG749RRPA

I opened the hood on my 72' Chev 3/4 ton Longhorn for 17 years and polished the valve covers on my 402. Great memories lookin' at your pictures.

Thanks for sharing the build and truly preserving the G749 for all generations.......the kids will go nuts seeing that......beautiful......masterful......wowful.

G749 Crew Cab
G749 Rat Rod

Can't wait to see whats next!

Attachments

quickfarms

The springs are correctly orientated for the application. As the weight is applied the springs compress on each other. If you reversed them all of the load would be on the clamps and they would fail.

phil2968

...On the Deuce, the little leafs are on the bottom...
Deuce spring packs have the smaller springs at the top. The pic is of an old gasser with dual stack springs. All leaf springs are to be flattened to accept load be it from the top or bottom and some packs are loaded from the center ie(pick up) or from the ends upside down such as the deuce or his hotrod.

Attachments

Another Ahab

It might not interest you at all, BUT...I'm thinking you could even patent your design here, and start a cottage industry reproducing these for a targeted market (like the proverbial 1%):

- I'll bet Jay Leno would pick one up for HIS collection.
- Country Music industry in Nashville is good for a few.
- Some of the Hollywood crowd, of course.
- The Japanese are famous for some of their Collectors.

And I'll bet you could think of more.

I'm a marketing guy; just can't turn it off...~

Last edited:

harleyhouse

JerseyHick: That is an excellent job.
A unique one of a kind vehicle created with a vision of an artist.
The fab work, fit and finish and scale are perfect.
This build is magazine worthy and I insist you submit some photos to several.

Beautiful work of art my friend!

plym49

The springs are correctly orientated for the application. As the weight is applied the springs compress on each other. If you reversed them all of the load would be on the clamps and they would fail.
OK, I stand corrected. Thanks.

JerseyHick

Thanks again for all the kind words. I really do appreciate it.
I know you guys love pics. Im trying to get more build pics on here, not having much luck. I'm really not to computer savvy.
I'll get em on as soon as i can.
Thanks Ray

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Survival

With more interest in diesel and little interest in the GMC over the past decade compounded by transmiSSion/ manifold issues the trucks were getting ignored, crushed, sent away. Effort to preserve even a few parts is getting more important. Some day the only thing left will be a hood hanging in a bar.

There are a few of us trying to save them and get them back to what they were.........but the waste really waits in the weeds.

Doing something, anything with the G749 might make some folks just want it more and maybe we can save a few more bits and pieces.

A few more rat rod projects just waiting for a bull big enough to try and build it.

Attachments

JerseyHick

With more interest in diesel and little interest in the GMC over the past decade compounded by transmiSSion/ manifold issues the trucks were getting ignored, crushed, sent away. Effort to preserve even a few parts is getting more important. Some day the only thing left will be a hood hanging in a bar.

There are a few of us trying to save them and get them back to what they were.........but the waste really waits in the weeds.

Doing something, anything with the G749 might make some folks just want it more and maybe we can save a few more bits and pieces.

A few more rat rod projects just waiting for a bull big enough to try and build it.
You can't see but I'm drooling!
You have all the pieces you need rite there.
I love the 749series just as much as anyone. But...And This is just my experience, I can honestly say. Building a whole new car from scratch was 100 times easier than restoring and trying to keep my stock M135 roadworthy! Seriously..
I have more respect than you can imagine for anyone who can keep those 749s rolling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks