• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how cold has it been and started?

gt1009

I do that sequence because I am horribly afraid of having a glow plug swell up on me, so I feel like I am preventing overheating with those cool down periods.

Somemedic

it was -6 (not wind chill, ambient air)out today here near Chicago. My truck is plugged in but it did fire up. Held the GPs down a minute prior to starting.

Tranny wouldnt move the truck though. Im guessing the stuff is just too cold. Plenty of fluid.

ohfisherman

my block heater was a zerostart. cost about $40.00. it fits on the driver side center plug. really easy to install. just pop the plug sideways and pull it out with pliers and the new one installs with a butterfly screw. i use an extension cord from lowes that has a light built in to let you know it has voltage. i did opt for the 1000w warmer. works awesome.

dunedigger

I wasn't going to start mine up today. The wind chill is real bad but the actual temp is around 4. My wifes sister blew a tire and I was going to help. I couldn't get it started and killed the batteries. :cry:

dunedigger

I know my batteries are good. I havn't had a problem at all until today. A lot of people didn't get their gas motors started today.

jw4x4

This morning was -13, mine started right up. No problems so far (fingers crossed). I really would like to find a winter front. Hey Westy, what is that "4" on your avatar? That is on the right side of my 1009 too.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 543A2 doesn't seem affected by the cold, I have cranked it in the teens with no problem. But my "new" 818 has a problem with anything below 80 degrees!!!! I still like multi-fuels better
James G.

Dodgeman1941

Our m1009 pushes heat really good. We went shopping last night and it warmed up really good inside on the way home and the thermometer said -2.2 {thank goodness for Lake Michigan} when we walked in the door. Thursday night we went of a longer drive {hour or so} and it was pushing enough heat to melt the snow off the back window and the temps were in the single digits.

About the battery heater, I have a blanket type heater in my M35 to keep the batteries at their best when it gets really cold. It wraps around the outside of the batts and plugs in just like a block heater. If I remember correctly, I got it at NAPA.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you answered him Westy, and not me!:oops: