• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How fast do you drive your Deuce?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it depends on personal preference, heard some people run it on the governor all day long, others won't do over 45mph.

With the 11-20's, I'll run at 61 mph/2500 rpm all day.

Yes, it's a military truck, designed for 45 mph convoys. Yes, the brakes were designed 50+ years ago. On the other hand, the deuce stops better than some air brake straight trucks I've driven. And WAY better than my 46 Jeep. Since it is an old truck, I keep a eye on the brake hoses/fluid level/linings etc...

So do you guys think it's unsafe at higher speeds? any speed?

The other point is engine rpms. 2600-2800 rpm is redline for the multi. Now take a gas motor, run it at the redline for a couple of hours, and you soon will have a broken motor. What I've seen and driven about diesel's, they are happiest at or close to redline.

Has anyone had a Multi come apart at high rpm? Seen where the number 6 or 3 rod has been thrown in them, but at what point? Did someone just hit the start button and floor it?

Dennis

Had to put that last line in the post for DR and Gimpy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I try to keep it around 45. These trucks are old so I don't want to push it too hard. As far a diesels go I've ran farm tractors day after day at WOT without any problems. It does more harm to lug a diesel than it does to run it wide open.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run between 45 and 50 with short bursts to 55 if i need to pass or get out of someones way. Mainly because it drinks too much fuel at 55.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ken said:
I run between 45 and 50 with short bursts to 55 if i need to pass or get out of someones way. Mainly because it drinks too much fuel at 55.
Pass??!! what's that? 48 all day long, have had it at 56 on downhills.

David_4x4

Im a ixture of everything. I usually tend to drive it moderately, but being a diesel it needs some work load on it. So I'll run it hard through the gears and blow smoke occasionally.

jwaller

I have 1100's so I run it at 60-62 all I can. I bought this thing to drive and I do drive it. I hate going slow and I dont want to spend my entire time I have to drive just going nowhere. if I got 5 hrs to drive I need to be somewhere when I get there not just the other side of town.

FreightTrain

Banned
The way I look at it if I wanna get there I take the deuce.If I wanna get there fast I take the Ranger.Never really understood why people get a vehicle and push it past what it was designed for and then complain when it breaks.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 with 11.00x20's on highway -about 2500RPM. Never over 58 or so. Don't want to risk the engine, and I take the RPM redline specs seriously.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So, I suspect that "I get passed by farm equipment" was added for me, thats what I clicked. I hope you are not trying to tell me that my LDS has airconditioning.

CliffW

FreightTrain said:
The way I look at it if I wanna get there I take the deuce.If I wanna get there fast I take the Ranger.Never really understood why people get a vehicle and push it past what it was designed for and then complain when it breaks.
:ditto:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine can take 55 mph. RPMs hold around 2200 for that speed with a 1D turbo. I don't push beyond that, though.

spicergear

I have stock 900's on my truck. My speedo is off by 4-5mph so says the roadside radar display signs. 49mph on the clock is 54. Recently I've had some highway time on my truck. Ran it at 55mph on the way to get the load and actually ran it faster by 2-3mph on the way back as with the 14,000 lb load the CAT seemed to really be in it's sweet spot. 55 and the 39.5- 40" NDT's put me at 2484rpm. 58mph is just over 2600rpm. Twice I ran it to 60mph to get a run on a big hill and that's just over 2700rpm. No worries, still have another 100-300rpm (depending on publication print) to goverened redline. It really smoothes out in the 2400-2700rpm area.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ususally loaded when on the highway and end up driving "by the pyro".
Empty, 60 mph is no rarity, loaded anywhere from 10 to 55 mph depending on conditions. Mostly able to keep up with traffic thru the cities, though (interstates).
The image below shows one of the extremely rare case of actually passing someone, going up the mountain from NC to VA empty (16,000 lb w/K-boom). Pictures taken within seconds of each other and superimposed.
1100-20 NDTs all the way.
Agree that the multi loves being driven hard.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mine likes to run around 48 so I checked the 45 box. It always has a reserve that way if I have to pass a grandpa. It was 55 on the downhills towing the dolly and M127 on I95 but going up hill I was in third gear by the top of each hill with flashers and prayers.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me sometimes 45 sometimes 50, sometimes 55 and sometimes against the governor which is about 62 since it will run 2900. 52 is the best compromise as far as speed and fuel usage. Against the governor costs money!

cbvet

In the non-turbo multifuel. I generally run around 50. When I first brought it home, 1,000 miles, it was pedal-to-the-metal all the way with no apparent harm.
The gasser seems "happier" around 45 MPH.
Haven't driven the M813 with the Cummins much yet, but suspect it will run at 60MPH just fine with the 1400R20s.
Seeing as how we often travel in convoys, we're regulated by the slowest vehicle.
That's OK with me.
Eric
CBVET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks