• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How fast do you drive your Deuce?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My 1970 M35A2 w/w was powered by the LD-465. It was perfectly happy at 55 MPH for hours on end. At that speed I could pull quite a few TN, KY and WV hills without downshifting farther than 4th. I ran 50-55 MPH all the way from Memphis, TN to Charleston, WV, which is about 600 miles and averaged 10 MPG on the trip. That LD motor felt stronger than a lot of LDT motors that I have driven. That was a great deuce and I still miss it.

YankeeDuece

My Deuce will run happy WFO all day long, 59mph @ 2400+/- rpm. I try not to hit that speed with the troop carrier cover on because it looks like it will tear-off at any moment.

My speed is conservative with respect to posted limits.

There is seldom traffic where I am going, only where I have been.

sermis

With the 395's my speedo is off but I can keep up with most traffic if I push it. I back the RPM's down to 2,200 - 2,300 and hope for the best. I have had a front tire go flat before and it is a RIDE........

OD_Coyote

I usually run mine truck @ 2300 with short bursts to 2500. I do not pay much attention to the speedo when I am on the Interstate, since I know I will never exceed the max speed limit.
I did run @ 2500 from just West of Boise to just East of Seattle only stopping for fuel for most of the trip and she did not complain. That being said she just sounds happier between 1800 and 2300 to me.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, i was going to bid on that truck, now evrybody will want it, a 70 mph truck with a bad trans a $500 heater ,ect for only 4k. i bet there will be a line waiting to bid on it now

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
70 mph in a stock truck............. yeah, right. and i have a bridge in new york for sale also. that would only be 3243 rpm.......... maybe down a real steep hill for just a few minutes.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the 'loud bang' will sound funny also. i once removed an entire piston out the bottom of an engine. (without removing the oil pan)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
stretch, there is high idle and there is red line. two very different things. we know what high idle is for the multi but where is red line defined??

emr

Ive found the non turbos have more balls, when i put a turbo on my non, it still had balls, did You change or adjust anything? for the turbo?? randy

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
My LD (non-turbo) was weak and smoked. Adding the "D" turbo got some big power (15+psi and high egt). It cleaned up the smoke. The IP timing was changed to 20* BTD as per cranetrucks MilVehMag article. The IP fuel screw was reduced 1-1/3 turn to tame the EGT. New head gasket(before upgrade) was re-torqued. The valves adj. The droop screw was moved 1/3(?)turn. Pyrometer and boost gage added...Currently set at 12psi at 2500rpm which is probably higher than stock LDT's . I'd estimate 30-35% power increase (150-160? tamed). You really need a pyrometer to safely get the most out of a turbo upgrade, or the LDT. The army used turbos (LDT or clean air kit LD's) mostly to reduce the smoke. JimK