• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How fast do you drive your Deuce?

Mark2X2

When I was active duty in Germany, I would wedge my toe under the dash & drive my heel down as hard possible on the foot feed on what ever I drove. Jeep, CUCV, M880, M817, M35, VW van, didn't matter. Never had any engine trouble on any thing. The VW van on those steep down hills would buck a little once in a while, think the valves would float.
In the Guard & Reserve the newer 5 tons 929? dumps & tractors, M817, HUMV's ran them as hard as possible with out a ticket, never any engine trouble. And I drove a lot in all branches.
I run a 653E John Deere (6068JD engine) with a Fabtek four roller head, cut to length system. It 5000 hrs on it when we bought it, now has 14,400. Run it right to the stop after a short warm up. Have put valve cover gaskets after valve adjustment, a front main crank seal after the belt shredded & wrapped up. Thats been it.
I run my Deuce to the max. Like someone else said, hurts a diesel to lug it.
My two cents.
Mark
**Edit**
Like an old grader man told my buddy when he asked him if he would not run his grader so hard. "Darrin if Cat didn't want you to run it there, they wouldn't have put a notch for the lever."

Last edited:

Strykerboy

I'm active duty every MV I drive "i drive it like i stole it" m1a1,m1a2,m113's,m2a2-3,m998,m1025,m1151a1-p1,m35a2,m813,m814,m88 Hercules , and the stryker.. only one i have ever had a problem with was the stryker 350hp cat two stroke had an oil line break in the top end and fried the valves made a six foot flame shoot out of the exhaust before it shut it's self down at 68mph on msr tampa in iraq lousy day but free HET ride nice!:-D.
note: in 2003 alone before the oil line broke we had put 60,000 miles on my stryker i picked it up from the shiping yard in washington with 2.5 miles on it all combat miles and i don't recall the hours.

Last edited:

duecedriver

I could never get one to go quite 60. They needed to be driven with purpose, a little agressively and the drive train components would hold up just fine. Just think of all the different drivers that drove and abused them. They were very durable. The duece was the very first truck I ever drove.

Parker2

I max it out to a whopping 53 mph. Diesels dont like being lugged.:cry:
Now maybe with my new 11.00-20.00's and my LDS pump I can get a little more top end out of her.:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran between 58 and 59 all the way home from Atlanta a couple of years ago towing an M1009. I was limited to that speed because Devilman96 was following me in deuce 2 and that's as fast as it would go! My $1000 truck does pretty darned good.