• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much motor oil can I burn as fuel?

RAYZER

i use a gravity feed filter setup, built a manifold out of sced 80 grey pvc that has two uprights that accepts 5 micron string wound water filters that can be bought at most any hardware store, the setup sits in a 5 gal bucket and is fixed through the side to a ball valve with a 90 on the end , just sit the bucket filter on top of a 55 gal drum and pour oil in, will filter 5 gal of oil in 1 hr.

russ132

I run 40% WVO 40% WMO and 10% old gas or diesel. I run all of this through a centrifuge that I purchased from wolverine technologies.
Great product and a great guy to do business with. I have just worked out all of the bugs in the system and will post pics soon.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I've joined the WMO ranks as well today. I filtered about 20 gallons of WMO with about 3 gallons of Kerosene (used it to wash parts previously). I had about a half a tank of diesel in it. Ran fine today, no problems. Started it up after stopping it as well, no issues.

I scored big time today too. I placed an ad on craigslist and a guy asked me to come pick up about 40 2 gallon containers of waste oil. I also snagged a jerry can and a NEW container of 15W40 diesel oil! I've got enough oil to last me for a while! If I could get a little more road speed out of the deuce, I'd commute in it! (I've gotta get some ear plugs though! :oops: )

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup....it is my understanding that "synthetic" oil is not truly synthetic. It's synthetic in the sense that all of the molecules are engineered to be the same size for better lubrication, but it is still just plain old fossil fuel. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup....it is my understanding that "synthetic" oil is not truly synthetic. It's synthetic in the sense that all of the molecules are engineered to be the same size for better lubrication, but it is still just plain old fossil fuel. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
I believe you are correct. Its still a hydro-carbon on the base level so combusting it shouldnt result in much deviation than the usual. Some people say its "bad" but then again you're not running sludge through the engine, it could be much worse.

Kalashnikov

I haven't seen any difference in synthetic or regular oil.

Well I've joined the WMO ranks as well today. I filtered about 20 gallons of WMO with about 3 gallons of Kerosene (used it to wash parts previously). I had about a half a tank of diesel in it. Ran fine today, no problems. Started it up after stopping it as well, no issues.

I scored big time today too. I placed an ad on craigslist and a guy asked me to come pick up about 40 2 gallon containers of waste oil. I also snagged a jerry can and a NEW container of 15W40 diesel oil! I've got enough oil to last me for a while! If I could get a little more road speed out of the deuce, I'd commute in it! (I've gotta get some ear plugs though! :oops: )
I put an ad on Craigslist and had about 200 gallons to pick up the NEXT day! As of right now I have about 500 gallons of oil in a 50 miles radius to pick up!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welp I started it up cold today. Started no problems. It was a little gray at idle warming up. I took it for a spin up the hills near home to the gas station and it did fine. (I also turned the pump up a hair) I splashed the tank with 1.8 gallons of 87 octane, maybe that'll cut back on the gray haze at idle. My EGTs are able to get up to 950F (post turbo) and she smokes a little more now. I'm going to keep an eye on things to see how she keeps on.

ssdvc

Can you run these mixes in a 1009 6.2 diesel or is it just for the big guys?

Jimma

I am currently running all my oil through a washable - re usable screen filter purchased from Duda Diesel in Alabama. These quickly screen it down to like 75 micron removing all the big stuff really fast without clogging filters, then it is currently gravity fed through a 10 micron filter then through a 1 micron fitler / bag from Duda Diesel. I heat up the oil in the winter to make the process faster. Its a work in progress and I will be adding a pump to replace the gravity feed but its working for now and saving me money.

Crawdaddy

What kind of filtering are ya'll using for the finer filters? I see people listing what micron they are, but are they just spin-on oil filters and bases, or what? A quick step by step, or even just a picture of a setup with some part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Kalashnikov

What kind of filtering are ya'll using for the finer filters? I see people listing what micron they are, but are they just spin-on oil filters and bases, or what? A quick step by step, or even just a picture of a setup with some part numbers would be greatly appreciated.
I use a hydraulic filter base with 10 micron spin on filters. Pretty much the same as an oil filter on a mormal car just finer filtering. Got it from Surplus Center. It was like $17 and filters are around $7. They last a while when using motor oil but clog quickly when pumping waste cooking oil.

466Navastar

any suggestions on filtering means - to properly filter the used motor & veggie oil and used transmission fluid?....

how does using used motor oil and used trans fluid affect injection system parts longevity and engine deposits - long term?....any ill effects?....seems with all those little micron sized metal particles - from wear - floating around wouldnt contribute to long life....or is it that cheap surplus replacement parts are SO available- it doesnt matter......being new - Id like to know what you experienced guy have found.......thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unless i am wrong (with i may be) the M1009 is not a multi-fuel like the LDT-465 so you may be doing some work if you are not careful.
There is one bennifit to the J code 6.2 and later 6.5's. (well for this example) Is that they also run a high compression ratio. (21.5:1 on the 6.2/6.5 vs. the 22:1 of the multifuel) But the combustion design isn't the same. The injectors of the 6.2/6.5 are a single pintle design. And by nature don't lend to clogging. (That's not to say they cannot!) The 6.2/6.5 is an indirect injection diesel. Meaning that the fuel is sprayed into a pre-cup before it ventures into the engine. Here's what a pre-cup is...

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/pre-cup-plug in.jpg

That oval slot opens up into the cyl/piston. You'll also notice the threaded hole and glow plug. The IDI setup helps shield the glow plugs from the combustion process as well. And since the fuel is being atomized on the plug, that's how it helps start a cold diesel.

The military diesels are all mechanically injected and have none of the electronics the later model civilian engines had. So provided that your fuel system is clean, you can run WMO/WVO in them. But with such "fuels" there's always the concern of coking. IMO constant use without a "cleanout" phase of clean diesel and heavy loading (to increase EGT's helping burn off deposits) leads to problems. It's my thoughts that moderation is key on using alternative fuels.

You mileage may vary! ;)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
any suggestions on filtering means - to properly filter the used motor & veggie oil and used transmission fluid?....

how does using used motor oil and used trans fluid affect injection system parts longevity and engine deposits - long term?....any ill effects?....seems with all those little micron sized metal particles - from wear - floating around wouldnt contribute to long life....or is it that cheap surplus replacement parts are SO available- it doesnt matter......being new - Id like to know what you experienced guy have found.......thanks
Ask this question to a dozen people in the know, and you'll get a dozen different answers. While I've never experienced failures from running WMO or WVO in all my various diesel engines. I have seen issue others have had from it. (However, in all cases, I'm suspect on the "fuel" quality [filtration, de-watering, exc.])

It does stand to reason that the tiny particles would have an abrasive effect over time. I wouldn't deny that. But then again, if you're filtering to say 5 micron or better, you've already surpassed the fuel filtering capabilities of our military truck systems. Which stands to reason you'd only be allowing particles past the manufacture deemed acceptable.

One other thing I must stress is fuel viscosity. I've seen it first hand when someone tries to run to thick of a "fuel". Rotary based pumps (Like the 6.2's and 6.5's have, along with the Bosch VE style pumps) use a bushing on the shaft to connect internally. Too thick of a fuel and these shafts can sheer these bushings and leave you stranded.

winerydale

Banned
I have a buddy in houston that runs 90% umo in his duece. He adds 5 gal of #1 diesel for good measure. He runs it through a filter before puting in the tank. It smokes like an Old Locomotive but its free. nuff said. David