• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much would you bid on an M819?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the difference between -10 and -15(loadind and shipping tm) is that -10 is combat ready with 2 man crew

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Repowered by the military in 89, multifuel. It got the updated power steering too. Since I got it, every hose to raise or extend the boom has burst, so they are all new too. Plan on lifting with the whiffle tree and attaching one of my tow bars. Probably not the one that uses 1.5" pins though. :-D

area52

Wouldn't it be better to flat tow it with the airlines attached for the brakes? You would have two more tires/brakes to help stop the 30k lbs.

Just thinkin out loud here.

tm america

wow killer deal i am not much into five tons but i want an m819 .i would have givin up to 9000-10000 for a truck like that looked like an easy one to whip back into shape

gimpyrobb

Yeah, plan on bleeding the brake system then hooking up to the glad hands for assisted braking. Lifting the front puts more weight (and added traction) on the rear of my wrecker to keep it from throwing me around (I hope).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, plan on bleeding the brake system then hooking up to the glad hands for assisted braking. Lifting the front puts more weight (and added traction) on the rear of my wrecker to keep it from throwing me around (I hope).
It may also keep you from turning as well. If you can get the brakes up and working, I'd lean towards the flat tow. If you can't get the brakes up, lift tow! If you have to make the entire trip down 33 at 35 MPH, just do it! March down Hamilton Rd (317) to US 33 and head south. You couldn't have asked for a much better location for moving it to Lancaster.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree with your plan gimp...but caution a very slow ride.

I know you know what your doing but as a heavy tower myself I just gotta remind you that a towed vehicle can do very unexpected things...like going where it wants to...especially when flat towed:arrow:

ida34

Hi,

ida34 said: "Not the best but a good budget wrecker." :cookoo:

Huh? Are you kidding, that thing is great! The extra wheelbase, longer boom, enclosed operator cab, the ability to tow with pintle or 5th wheel... The only thing the M819 lacks is extra tool boxes/storage and a rear drag winch, both of which can be added in the future.

Good luck on the recovery Gimp.

Wanna trade for an M923? :razz:
Does not run, no title obvious body damage and plenty of rust, sat for 10 years. Your right. How could I have overlooked those good points. **** I got a cucv with a bent frame, no axles, parted out engine and no doors to sell you. It is the best cucv you will ever see.

You really think my statement was wrong? You made me do it. :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:

I said it was a good budget wrecker and it is. I would have jumped at the chance to get it but it is far from being a needs nothing truck. It is better than was Chris started with on his 900 truck.

gimpyrobb

I DON'T LIKE TOWING ANYTHING. I have the greatest respect for people that do it for a living. Eric and Amy have done alot for me and I would probably help them "dig a hole" if they asked. They have been wanting a wrecker for a while and it is my pleasure to help them. I won't make a habbit of this. Thanks for everyone's concern and offers to help. It DOES mean alot.

good score!

5 tonners flat tow well for the most part but i would lift tow the beast.

like pappa bear stated-- flat towed vehicles can tend to do as they please.

even more so when the towed vehicle out weighs the towing unit.

since you have a choice i would rather lift tow.

that multi's gonna have its hands full tugging that puppy down the road.

wish i was closer-- I would love to go along for the ride.

just wondering-- if you have the large tow bar why not use it?

it would add another level of safety.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

The large bar uses 1.5 inch pins and it sucks to move it. I will be using the Jr. version, that uses one and 1/8th pins. Not much smaller, but MUCH easier to move around. I have the BIG one just so I can say I have one of each(4 different sizes).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to bring it back to Cincy or where to?

Good luck where ever you take it!

The initial pickup and drop off points are only about 30 miles apart. :-D

Given the task, help and distances, it should be an easy move if all goes well.

I think the M62 will do fine if done very slow and carefully. If it doesn't feel ok, when pulling it out of the lot(main goal), we can just stop and call in a Heavy Hauler.

Thanks to all for your input, I appreciate it.:wink:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yep, someone on site once posted that thay had a duece that could, but BFR ( JOEL ) has a duece that DID, id rather have a DID (a known ) then a COULD ( a maybe, a unknown)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks