• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How often do you use low range

wsucougarx

I use low range every time I back up. I have to squeeze into a tight space so the slow speed and not having to ride my clutch really helps. I also use low gear when first pulling my trucks out of the coral. Kind of gives her time to get her legs warmed up before hitting the road:driver:

nk14zp

I always start in 2 low then 2 high and so on if I'm unloaded. With load I use 2 low then 3 low and so on. When you realy know your truck you will shift using the best combation that put the less strain on the clutch/ drivetrain.
I also wind out every gear shifting just short of the gov. till I know she is rolling well and can hold at or around 1850-1900rpm with out lugging.
:ditto: Same here.

Clay James

I use it almost exclusively around the ranch and use it often with split shifting on the road. I always start in 1st if I start in high range. The goal is to put the least stress on the transmission and clutch because I incur the cost and labor of fixing it and want it to last as long as possible.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've been using it quite a bit in the last month with the heavy loads I've been carrying and split shifting on hills and taking off. I remember my bus driver doing it all the time growing up...still not sure how he got that horse and carriage to do that but.....

196thprober

I use low range every time I back up. I have to squeeze into a tight space so the slow speed and not having to ride my clutch really helps. I also use low gear when first pulling my trucks out of the coral. Kind of gives her time to get her legs warmed up before hitting the road:driver:

I do the exact same as wscougarx backing up, also in parades, and I used 'split shifting' always with my M109 towing my CUCV after I was taught how to do it properly by a very seasoned and knowledgeable fellow SS member- what a dream that was after i got the hang of it. Had to sell my 109 though, imagine tears. :(

KsM715

I dont know it all, by any means, but I though I remember reading that starting off in 2nd with the spicer was a bad idea. Always first and always double clutch between first and second. I could be wrong though
Yep. Do a search for "sheared+key" and you can find all kinds of threads with people breaking the 2nd/3rd key on the mainshaft. Im begining to have symptoms of a sheared key in my trans.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/23787-2nd-gear.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/42608-deuce-trans-junk.html

toddm

Pretty much the same as everyone else, parades, backing up into my driveway and backing most everyplace else. Also any tight spot I might be in.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I start off in low when I am loaded then I shift up to high.
Also I use low to back and just to use low from time to time.

PalmerBS

So are we 100% in agreement that you can shift into low range while on the move?? Even unloaded over here there's one hill that gives me ****. Low range sounds like it would help a lot.

But I don't wanna try it until i get a definite!

steelandcanvas

Just as others have said, I use low range when backing, in parades, starting out with heavy loads, and pulling stumps. We were trained in school to "split-shift" and not be reluctant to do it when required.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read connie again 10 to 20 tons on your back hello. Second gear low range you can let out the clutch and it takes off with out any fuel . That is not lugging. I use high reverse empty to back but been driving big rigs to long.

Last edited:

Welder Sam

just messin

There's no real hills in Yuma to speak of.

Last i was down that way there was hills.... under every little bush. Only about 6-10" high but theyre freakin everywhere. Other than shallow washes, ur right tho.. no real climbs

Seth_O

I don't get to use low anywhere near as often as I would like. Occasionally when at the off-road park is about it, or when heading up/down a large loose gravel hill at a buddies house so I don't spin my tires.

Gonna' have to try the reverse trick though - tks for that [thumbzup]

BlizzardX23

I don't get to use low anywhere near as often as I would like. Occasionally when at the off-road park is about it, or when heading up/down a large loose gravel hill at a buddies house so I don't spin my tires.

Gonna' have to try the reverse trick though - tks for that [thumbzup]

You go to Prairie City? That's where I take mine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks