• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy from a Newbie

top_prop

Got up early and replaced the belts, serviced the power steering... and started to ponder the mech pump bypass... see this electric fuel pump thread for more on that.

While I was down there I noticed I didn't like the starter wire rubbing on so much stuff and figured I'd put some more black wire conduit to protect it... then I noticed the bolt where it connected to the starter was loose.

So I popped the neg bat terminal on the front battery to break ground so I could work on hot wires... then i got my 3/8 u joint... pondered the bolt to be about 15mm and a super long extension to reach it... as i finally got the socket on there I brushed part of the frame and there was sparks!

I didn't get it... how could that happen... did the negative terminal spring back up in place? I jumped up and found it was right where I left it... hmm... best just disconnect the 24v lead from the rear batt term too... and went back to work... no sparks.

The only thing I can figure is that something on the 12V hot bus made a path from the 24V hot bus to the rear battery's neg term... so that effectively I got 12v worth of sparking. I guess I'll pop both terminals from now on.

Then when I got done with the belts I started her up. Gen 1 light... voltage in yellow... then a pop and it went to the green/yellow line... then back to yellow... then a pop like a relay...

Ok guess its time I got smart on the weired electrical system... first lets freshen up all ground connections... ok thats done... lets inspect the alternator connections... maybe I bumped one or kinked it or something... nope those are good too... well lets get some contact cleaner and clean them too... Ok all done, lets try that start and see if we get a light... GEN 1 light! ****!

"Did I fry something with those sparks?" Immediately searched here for that... came out dry... so out came the TM's... "Rpm issue? how could that have changed... must be the next step"... So I checked the gen light with the exciter disconnected... checked good... TM says replace alternator...

"oh crap I must have messed up the alternator when i replaced those horrible belts.... too tight? How could I... There must be something else going on here."

Came here and searched and searched... read thread after thread, and ran through the speghetti diagrams int the TM and highlited and posted here by folks trying to help out... wondered if I fried the diode between the 'ground' of GEN 2 or something wierd... It couldn't be the alternator!... or could it!?!?!?!

Then I rememembered a thread saying "check RPM" means give the accelerator a push... so I reconnected everything restarted the truck... GEN 1 light... gave it a push, and it went out and stayed out..... voltage in the green... YES!

Some times the simplest things escape me! :cookoo:

Last edited:

top_prop

Don't hold your breath on the video...

Found a weep in my radiator now that I'm driving it a bit around the block here and there... realy can't go to far... I'm still waiting on the SF 97 to arrive so I can register it and start driving it to work... anyways I poored in some stop leak... we'll see how that goes!

I hope you aren't salivating for a video of pouring in stop leak... :cookoo:

How about a video from one of our crews at the Loisville airshow a while back... drop a couple rafts with a survial pack between them at about 1:00 and at around 2:00 a drop can comes out (usually we put water and a radio in them and drop them to survivors)... the drop hangs up and then has to be cut away... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vekcEY8Eb_Q&NR=1

Oh and the washers won't work... the wiper motor is fine but the mechanism that the washer solenoid engages to make the washer pump... uh... pump, is bad.

Any suggestions besides buying a new $56 wiper/washer motor? I was thinking of going to a junk yard and seeing if I couldn't scavenge a reservoir with a dedicated pump out of a newer model truck and retro fitting it in the drivers side of the engine bay... got plenty of extra room especially if I pull the old resevoir. I like the capacity of the newer ones and having a dedicated pump that draws from the sump just seems like a much better design.

Last edited:

top_prop

Record heat here on Saturday (103 deg F... probably about 80-90% humidity too), and I just relaxed on Sunday... I did pick at a few things while it was cool in the mornings and evenings. Found another coolant leak when I parked nose down hill instead of up hill. Was where the hose meets the thermostat housing... think some turns on that hose clamp fixed that.

Changed the oil and filter... why is it these CUCV's are supposed to have 'metric' bolts but my 11/16 wrench fits better than my 14mm? And when a 10mm is too big, and an 8mm is too smal a 3/8" is just right? And when I think its and 11mm because the 10 is to small and a 12 is too big, a 9/16 fits perfect... while my 11mm ratcheting closed end won't fit either? :wink:

Yesterday it was nice after I got home from work, and I got about $11 of grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers from lowes. So I put on a civie hitch receiver. With alot of help from my neighbor... posted the details of that here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/2533-custom-reciever-hitch-2.html

Oh and I also did a touch of painting:

Attachments

top_prop

Found a new puddle under the front today... at first I thought it was powersteering fluid because it was oily and clear... then I realized it was oil (bright and clear because I had just changed it)... being parked nose down hill had shown me a few leaks between the oil pan and the block... loose bolts... snugged them up, cleaned the oil pan and ran her a bit... so far so good: No new leaks or returning of the old ones (keeping fingers crossed).

While I was down there, I cut some fuel hose lengthwise and put it around the starter wire where it is held by those clamps on one of the oil pan bolts and also where it was rubbing on the starter... got it protected by extra fuel line everywhere it rubs on something up until its above the frame now... still don't like those wires rubbing on so much... maybe its because I'm used to aircraft maintenance, but that is just big trouble waiting to happen....

Once I get the SF97 (this will be week three that I've been waiting for it to come) and then get it registered, I'll be able to take her to the autohobby shop on base and put her on a lift... then I'll tackle the trans fluid and filter (my last source of a few small leaks)... probably drain and refill both diffs and trans case too... any other suggestions or something else I'm missing? I want to pull the wheels and inspect the brakes and bearings but haven't had much time to dedicate to that when it hasn't been sweltering and sun baked.

Last edited:

top_prop

Fixed wiper washer by installing a resevoir from a late 80's pick up with a seperate motor...

Ran down a few other leaks... looks like rear main seal is leaking when I park nose up hill... :(

Still getting a few drips from the radiator too... stop leak helped but didn't fix it.

Also pulled an ashtray out of an old pickup last time I was in the junk yard... got the lighter receptical out of it and will patch it into the fuse panel with its own fuse for some 12v accessory power.

Needed to have some fun, so I made another stencil... Shade_Tree swung by for dinner and a few beers and we sprayed it on just as we kicked off a BBQ... What do you think (I'm using it as a icon pic now)?

After the BBQ my boy wanted to go for a zombie shooting ride... so he grabbed his favorite toy gun... I rolled the back window down and loaded her up with a bunch of folks who were at the BBQ... and drove around the block... he screamed "the zombies are comming" to everyone we passed... and then the kids wanted to go faster, so i took her out of the neighborhood and on the main road... got up to 65 twice... they loved it (the kids and the adults)...

good time... though Shade_tree noticed the front left hub was hot after the short trip... still got to pull the wheels and give them a through going through.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunnar1071

We had to post duty, so we put on the new fuel filter, used the siphon to pull fuel from the tank through the prefilter and up through the electric pump... stripped the wires and put it on the hot bus and blead the system... then pulled the wire off the 12v hot bus...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/cucv/250197d1306534709-howdy-newbie-p1020770.jpg
I know it is a 3 month old thread, but that plastic fuel filter near the muffler has me worried .:shock:

Just saying for safety's sake.:)

top_prop

I added a heat shield, but my 1987 suburban has a very similar set up without a heat shield... both work just fine. No melted filters.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks