• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Studs Sheared Off - Wrecker - Texas

Jeepsinker

Alright I just was able to get the axle up off the ground. I do have ctis, which is now disabled until I get a new hub. Wasn't sure about chaining to x member for fear of bending it. May do that though if I can't get studs here soon. I only have one block now, my other one just split into three pieces.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the best option for heavy truck parts in Giddings is Best Parts, 2267 Hwy 77 Giddings 979-542-1019. The nearest NAPA is in La Grange which is a ways off.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not far from you is SS vendor MilitaryTrucks.com, located Liberty Hill, TX (other side of Austin) 512-818-5261. They should have parts and be able to courier them to you.

Jeepsinker

Awesome. I'm going to try and tie this axle up to the crossmember and limp the 14 miles or so to where I need to go. Will pass out and get parts in the morning god willing.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might even be able to use two cross-members, one forward and one behind the axle. Use the chain like a "V".

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I was able to chain the axle up to the crossmember, just arrived at my destination. Will commence repair tomorrow. Thank you sincerely to all who have responded and helped in this thread and otherwise.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updated thread title to reflect it is no longer an emergency roadside event.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to investigate why the studs sheared in the first place before heading out again, and while the hub is off. Were the nuts loose (check the other tires), bearings bad or not well lubed. Could just be too long a trip at speed with a lifted tow exceeded the truck's capabilities.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh crap just saw this...wish I were closer to help! Best of luck, hope you're able to get home!

Jeepsinker

Yep, just got studs and lug nuts at a local truck shop and am about to begin the repair. Bent the brake chamber pretty bad with the chain but nothing that can't be fixed.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Might want to investigate why the studs sheared in the first place before heading out again, and while the hub is off.
Any idea what caused the failure?
The most common culprit is the lug nuts loosen and the whole tire/rim starts wallowing around and when there is enough play the rim will start shearing off the studs.

I once lost a set of tandems off a trailer because of that. It is very hard to tell if the nuts are loose sometimes.

Once one or two gets loose it becomes self-perpetuating and they all loosen. That's why it is wise to do a walk around every time you stop.

Murphy is an opportunist.

Glad you made it to a safe haven.

goldneagle

The most common culprit is the lug nuts loosen and the whole tire/rim starts wallowing around and when there is enough play the rim will start shearing off the studs.

I once lost a set of tandems off a trailer because of that. It is very hard to tell if the nuts are loose sometimes.

Once one or two gets loose it becomes self-perpetuating and they all loosen. That's why it is wise to do a walk around every time you stop.

Murphy is an opportunist.

Glad you made it to a safe haven.
Rydertruckparts has those plastic nut pointers that go over the nuts to make it easier to see when they become loose. They look like tear drops.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to know what the guy with his hands and eyes on the truck thinks before I guess.

Without any data, I'll suggest a bad(flat sided) tire.

Let's focus on helping him through the issue, before we analyze the situation(since we have no data).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks