• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

huge grayling deuce auction

jpcj-7

It was a real mess, we got home with the trucks I thought I was bidding on. It was quite a day to bring my younger brother along for his first GL pick-up!
Did anyone hear if Jeff and Justin made it back to Wisconsin ok with the M36A2 towing the M35A2?

1stDeuce

So I'm heading south from my week in the UP today, and about Grayling I start thinking about my deuce, and how I should have brought it down with me this trip... Then I can actually smell it, and I'm thinking how cool is that that my brain is fooling itself like that... Then the guy in the truck ahead of me says "Hey you're gonna like this!!" We caught 5 or 6 Deuces, moving along smartly on I75 just south of the 127 split. I was in a dually ford dragging a camo'd black and white ford and a motorcycle on a trailer... It was about 3 or 4 PM...

Bill, was that some of your crew moving another bunch?? They were followed by a yellow/orange chevy van with a SWEET front bumper that I've seen on here before, but I can't remember who's van it is... Looked like decent trucks... Not pretty, but decent...

Congrats to whoever landed them, particularly after dealing with the GL dealio...
C

odjeeper

If I can help, just let me know. I work around the corner from the airport and live in the Grayling area. Phil, if you would like me to take a look at things it would be no problem, just need the required truck numbers and contact info for the GL rep or a time when the yard will be open. Citizensoldier, if I can save you a drive down, just let me know.

miltruckman

17 trucks from Grayling update

1stDeuce, yep, that was us, followed by my younger brother driving my yellow Express van.

We were moving the last 5 south to Birch Run, MI. I had about run out of people who wanted to drive an army truck.

So,

I even got my wife to drive a deuce. She had never done that before. You should have seen the smile on her face when we stopped at the first rest stop.

I am now pretty worn out from working on the trucks to get them all road worthy for the drive south, and driving for hours each day. It will be mighty restful to get back to work Monday.:wink:

I'll post a couple of photos. The first is my wife at that first rest stop. The second is taking notes after we parked the second batch of trucks we drove south Friday.

Finally done moving them all! Thanks for everyone's help!

I wish the auction and pickup had gone more smoothly. And hopefully GL will make fewer mistakes in the future.

It was a lot of fun driving that many trucks and overall a good time with a group of good people.:)

When I get a chance I'll post some photos of all the trucks lined up in a row. It is pretty amazing!

Bill

BugEyeBear

Bill,

The row of trucks looks great!

Glad to hear that you got them all shuttled home safely!

"It will be mighty restful to get back to work Monday"
That's Funny! (& understandable!)

-Bear-

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill,

I had an awesome time checking and moving those trucks (even in the rain), what a great start to a great vacation! I'll get the rest of my photos and videos to you as soon as I can.
Looking forward to you buying another batch!:-D BTW, you've got a great family and a great bunch of friends there!

Eric

miltruckman

We drove up for the inspection. There were so many trucks it was mind boggling!

I had brought some batteries in the back of the van. We spent the 3-1/2 hours allowed by GL"Joe" jumping every truck that would not start by itself.(which was most)

We only ran the engine for a few seconds and tried the brakes as there was just not time for more than that. We took some notes about each lot so we knew what trucks ran and looked O.K. (as the descriptions and photos were all screwed up.)

The cement truck in the last photo was listed as a deuce.

Attachments

miltruckman

We lined up at the gate to await GL Joe. He did not arrive until 9:30Am or so.

Driving into the site was daunting as there were just so many trucks and they were so mixed up.

Joe said we would have to locate and start all our own vehicles.

My crew looks for trucks, We check fluids, jump them to get them started, and line them up by the front fence. It takes intil almost noon to find and move them all.

We watch them like hawks as people are confused and upset about which truck they have because of all Gl's mistakes.

The confusion finally ends around lunch time when Joe says his boss made the call to go by lot numbers. Joe checks all our numbers and we pull out our first batch of 7 trucks. Over an hour later they make it back and we move out the second batch of seven trucks. Finally, at about 2:40PM Joe signs off and we roll out our last three trucks.

Attachments

miltruckman

The first pickup was Tuesday. We made the second and third runs Friday and Saturday. Even my wife drove an army truck so I wouldn't have to go back up Sunday. We had a great time and are all pretty tired!

Bill

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious - With GL going by lot number did you end up with better, worse or about the same on truck condition than if GL would have went the other way?

We lined up at the gate to await GL Joe. He did not arrive until 9:30Am or so.

Driving into the site was daunting as there were just so many trucks and they were so mixed up.

Joe said we would have to locate and start all our own vehicles.

My crew looks for trucks, We check fluids, jump them to get them started, and line them up by the front fence. It takes intil almost noon to find and move them all.

We watch them like hawks as people are confused and upset about which truck they have because of all Gl's mistakes.

The confusion finally ends around lunch time when Joe says his boss made the call to go by lot numbers. Joe checks all our numbers and we pull out our first batch of 7 trucks. Over an hour later they make it back and we move out the second batch of seven trucks. Finally, at about 2:40PM Joe signs off and we roll out our last three trucks.

miltruckman

I really have no idea?

I had called GL ahead of the inspection and ask how I would know which truck I would get, as the photos seemed to be so mixed up. They said I should inspect each lot and bid accordingly. The lady told me "You have to inspect the lots" "The photos and description are for your convenience only"

So I inspected the trucks and bid by the lot number marked. I was lucky that nobody had tampered with any of my trucks lot numbers. So we were able to find them all.

If they had decided on ID number instead, I would have had to look at every truck on the lot to try and find them. Maybe I would even have had some winch trucks? I don't really know. It would have been crazy though!

But no matter which truck I got, (there were 146 trucks) only 2 trucks were missing the engine, 3 trucks did not run, and 15 had soft or no brakes. so I had a 1 in 20 chance of getting a truck that did not run and 1 in ten chance of getting a truck with poor brakes.

Scary, but not the end of the world.

A winch truck would have been nice, but that is not what I bid on.

I am just happy to have made it home without incident with that many trucks.

My insurance agent wrote me 17 binders for the trucks, but I really am glad
I did not have to use them.

Bill

BugEyeBear

Bill,

THANKS for posting pics of the Convoy!

Although I'm sure it was a lot of work, it looks like you did manage to have some fun along the way!

That's quite a sight at the gas station with you occupying every square foot of pavement! I'll bet the station owner saw "GREEN" :jumpin: as you all pulled in (as in greenbacks, not as in camo)!

Wish I could have been there to give you a hand!

-Bear-

BTW: Does the wife want here own Deuce now? :eek:

Rattlewagon

Bill, what are your plans now? are you going to title them all and sell them or just sell them as is or keep them all and start your own country or?!?

been looking for a hard top for a while now...

dan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks