• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huge task undertaken

dmetalmiki

Wee, today the sun was out..And both young helpers attended..Schedule..(Their own), ..Remove Three trucks from the shop, Tow out the OT65 FUG-G, ( Some task that with no power steering!, ),
Tyler (14 years old), Inflated the (Flat steer tires)..Tiny gpw11 (14 years old), Used the fork truck to pull out the fug with Tyler ''steering''.
They lifted the new Diesel Injection pump 'atop' the fug.
They installed the repaired coupling to the engine drive shaft (with a new woodruf key..(That fell into the depths of the engine bay twice!), But was retrieved from 'way' under the FUG via the inspection plate.
After some 5 hours!, they had the pump in place..located it to the drive flange, The extension bolts to hold the pump in place were Extremely tight and awkward to get the threads started..But, start them they did.
The positions required to manipulate this heavy unit into place...Oh, AND the 'manual dexterity!...Well, All I can say is, All credit to them...That was one learning curve for them both.
I only gave minimal help and lots of advice. (leaving them to it!).
The Injection Pump is in, We, (They) Only ( ONLY!!)..Have to re-fit the Air compressor, Engine Cooling fans and compressor drive belts. Then the Drive shaft with two Universal joint couplings, (Most Awkward! that!).
The diesel injector lines, Fuel lines, Belly plates, And water fording plugs.
They set the timing as, "Both valves on the bounce", On number one Cylinder....Then a 'tug' with the fork lift to rock the engine back 17*..(?).
The injection Pump Just 'squirting' on number one port. ....So,.....Here's ..hoping...

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Mids't working..A few of their school friends cycled up and asked.." are T and V here?"...."Yep, says I"... So they have a look round the 'Stock', .(Amazed)..Then.."Where are they"?
I.. Point......
They are more than amazed...Nay..Impressed..See pictures...
And quite to their astonishment was to watch their buddies back all the trucks into the barn again..And use the Fork truck to push the Fug back in as well.
Altogether a good day, With much (So far), Accomplished.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

You give them a pay raise yet? 😇
No......They should pay I.
However, Miserable as it is..
ALL (!?) they get is....
To attend every military events, Drive the trucks into and around the parade display ring..
Demonstrate and man the M455-530C, TFFT IN ACTION! putting out a car fire. IN PUBLIC!
Drive my 1941 ford jeep over the off road course..
The can also drive and handle the smaller stuff...
Like..
1941 M20 Diamond Tank transporter. WITH CPT-22 Ton Trailer.
FUG OT 65-G
Kraz 255B.

Oh, And they have the lambretta scooter and quad to "play" with evenings at the show sites after events close to public..
OK, Not much, I know...
BUT...
{sic} .. ;)!
sic!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No......They should pay I.
However, Miserable as it is..
ALL (!?) they get is....
To attend every military events, Drive the trucks into and around the parade display ring..
Demonstrate and man the M455-530C, TFFT IN ACTION! putting out a car fire. IN PUBLIC!
Drive my 1941 ford jeep over the off road course..
The can also drive and handle the smaller stuff...
Like..
1941 M20 Diamond Tank transporter. WITH CPT-22 Ton Trailer.
FUG OT 65-G
Kraz 255B.

Oh, And they have the lambretta scooter and quad to "play" with evenings at the show sites after events close to public..
OK, Not much, I know...
BUT...
{sic} .. ;)!
sic!
It is really fantastic for you to have the ability to teach the youngsters about the world - and the world of military vehicles. I would say they will remember these days and the adventures as long as they live. Good for you and good for them too!

dmetalmiki

Thank you...I am at a stage actually....where...(Like Today)...My knees and spine hurt so much the kid 'politely' (tiny gpw111)....>chauffeured me< 'away' from the fug..and organized the tools and an electric bypass pump to fit tomorrow...
He wants to post a write up of that event.. when he has the 'privileges'..he registered but..no approval yet?..Moderator..Please?.. OH! I just checked..He 'has now has approval'. Thanks you.
Actually one of our vehicle collectors has a full autistic Child..(5 year old boy)..
He used to 'stim' profoundly..a lot..
I am teaching him 'Makaton' sign language..And letters..and numbers..He will perhaps remain non verbal...BUT! I have him gradually gradually 'speaking' word with sign....sort of..but sort of IS a start, I intend to have the two boys help him learn sign and then, they will then have yet another.."Arrow to the their bow".Hmm..Though ya' know's what.. All this brain 'activity' KEEPS me (Brain and mentally) FIT!:doghead:

tinygpw11

Today we are working on the fug again. I am with Tyler (tinygpw111), we have just bypassed the manual fuel pump with a new electric fuel pump. we have also replaced some metal pipes with plastic ones. however we are now eating lunch before we start again. Dmetalmiki has been religated to the ground floor! Hopefully it runs, after months of it not.

I'll post photos later.

dmetalmiki

A huge thank you to the two young helpers who fit an electric bypass pump to the Filter pre prime hand pump of which the glass bowl.......I.....Dropped into the bowels of the engine never to be seen (or retrieved!) again.

(Go on..be honest(..Well ok..The SECOND!! one I lost..) Bad hands and fingers..

They wired in the pump and fitted an off on switch in the drivers compartment.

They did solder all the connections as well..Good Job.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

I had an eye operation, They changed the lens in my left eye. Fantastic vision there now,
" Do NOT do any strenuous work".. Do NOT drive for two weeks...etc etc..
Then the O.C.D. Kicks in..Annnddd....

Last week I had (BAD!) fall from the top of the OT 65 G 'Fug'..( Is there a good fall??),
Of course 'No Chute!', (And many), Folks my age and younger, fall just making a cupp'a tea and break, hip, thigh, pelvis, Leg, arm,..And, A 'few other things on the way down!,
"Kerr Unch!", I land on my Bad knee, ( amongst other parts),
"You need a Knee replacement"....That 14 years ago!
Well, I bloody well do now.
The kids (Again) Ban me from 'Heights'.
Tinygpw111, ( Bless 'im), Replaced all the bolts in the fug compressor and fan drives...It took him 5 hours......THAT is Diligence....OH! And OCD>.
On the 'Bright side' I go for my 4th Booster jab on Saturday.........Limp.. Limp..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks