• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee beadlock rubber runflat replacement

Ajax MD

You cannot "break" the bead on these wheels with the run flat in place, the rim must be separated, tire machine is a definite no no
Ok, so the half of the wheel must be "pulled" off as people do when they use an engine hoist. Cheeze and rice.
How did military mechanics do it? I doubt the engine hoist method was approved procedure.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never have had a problem, it has been a while but IIRC I just set it on an upside down bucket so the weight was resting on the outer half and just pushed down.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I had that were pretty stuck I used tire lube all around the rim, then got a cheap tire spoon from harbor freight and went around the rim, tapping it in with a hammer. That would let the tire lube (or just soapy water will work if you want) to get into that area. Basically acts like penetrating oil would on a bolt, but with non-petroleum lubricant. Just pry it off a little bit at a time until it finally lets go.

Ajax MD

Went a little overkill, but got the job done.

A friend showed up for a weekend visit driving a semi tractor. He left his tank trailer at the company lot. His semi has a cow catcher/push bar on the front. We strapped the tire to the cow catcher and then I hooked a tow strap to a couple of bolt holes on the half of the wheel and connected it to my 5-ton and gently pulled it off. I only used the 5-ton because it was already parked in front of his truck.

This is good because I can repeat the procedure with the vehicles that I have to fix a couple of other leaky tires that I have hanging around.

Ajax MD

Tire beads should pop off with no effort at all, since these 16.5" wheels have straight 15deg shoulders with no safety hump.
The only way they could get stuck is if there was severe rust built up.
It was definitely grungy. I've done one wheel so far and you're right, it came apart easily. This is my second wheel and I was surprised at how stuck it was. I have a 3rd wheel that I'm going to do. No idea what will happen.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve seen some use 5 and 10 lb persuaders to strike the deflated sidewalls of our tires to free them up from the rims before pulling apart.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to a friend who worked in the maintenance facility for his unit. He said they would use the vehicle hoist, put the rubber part under the drive-on hoist and push down with it.. it would release the bead and pop the metal halves apart (most of the time). If that didn't work they used straps to hold the tire down and the hoist to pull up.. usually worked. (i.e. they got "creative" on disassembly)

Ajax MD

Cheeze and rice. Replaced the O-ring with no problem, followed the TM in properly torquing down the wheel half and it still leaks.
There is a rusty spot on the outer (top?) wheel half right where the O-ring rides and I knew it was a risk that it would no longer seal. I guess it's toast. I'm getting a ton of bubbles right where the alignment hole is.

I have another wheel that holds air but has a bald tire. I will disassemble and see if I can attain a good seal with the outer wheel half from the bald tire mounted to the inner wheel half with the good tire.

Ajax MD

Ok, got 'er did. That wheel had too many rusty spots.

I got the next wheel apart using every trick you guys gave me- lube, flipped over on a bucket, carefully working the perimeter until it popped free. It was rust-free and holding air but the tire was bald and checked. Now I have a tire with no checks, no slashes and no leaks. I have one more good wheel, runflat and tire to put together and I'll have a good spare.

Thanks for all the help.

RPMRPM

Ok, so the half of the wheel must be "pulled" off as people do when they use an engine hoist. Cheeze and rice.
How did military mechanics do it? I doubt the engine hoist method was approved procedure.
They’re really not hard to separate at all
It was definitely grungy. I've done one wheel so far and you're right, it came apart easily. This is my second wheel and I was surprised at how stuck it was. I have a 3rd wheel that I'm going to do. No idea what will happen.
that’s why when I get wheels in I have them acid stripped them recoated by a local company here get any rust buildup gone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks