• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I added a Muffler, in Disguise!!

50shooter

Is that diet pop you're drinking? First you drink diet pop, then you quiet the deuce....it's almost time for an intervention!

Just between you and me though, I may go w/that on my daily driver.

eldgenb

Is that diet pop you're drinking? First you drink diet pop, then you quiet the deuce....it's almost time for an intervention!

Just between you and me though, I may go w/that on my daily driver.
I know I know, I have to fit behind the steering wheel of the deuce some how!:roll:
it wasn't for me it was for my unsuspecting passengers:twisted:

59apache

Chipmaker
i don't eat tofu-burger's and my deuce its to loud. if you need hearing protection, its to loud. for a short ride at rel. slow speeds its funny, 8 hrs on the highway are not funny.
next thing i'll add is a muffler. (after fixing my FDC and IP :twisted:)

Somemedic

Mufflers coming, how bout them valves???

So I tell my buddies about the muffler and how nice it will be to have the ride a little quieter and he says "backpressure on the exhaust valves means you will need to adjust them valves..."

So how bout it? I realize the backpressure is nominal but is it necessarily enough to justify an adjustment? Bjorn, JT, any other gurus wanna sound off on this?

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know by posting I'm trying to revive an older thread. But I'm needing to install a muffler on our 68' A2 Deuce, and this M070028 sounds like its the way to go. I'll be honest, I don't care to much if it look perfectly stock or not, what I care most about is function. However, I do want it to look clean.

With having said that, I wanted to ask if this M070028
seems to be the best muffler for function?? I want to quite the deuce down as much as possible, even with the whistler.
And yes, I understand once the exhaust is quieted, there will be engine and other "cab" noises. They will be next on my "list" :twisted:
I know I can't kill all the noises, but looking to at least drastically reduce the overall noise. Looks like it'll take quite a bit of work to get this done. Has anyone else accomplished this on a deuce using sound deadening materials and such? ~ Thanks!!

Katahdin

By function I think its the largest (and maybe quietest) muffler you can fit in place of the heat shield, but its not the quietest muffler out there. For me, and I have a loud C turbo, I can drive it around town comfortably without hearing protection but when I go for any length of distance on the highway I find myself wishing I'd brought ear muffs. This is without any sound deadening in my cab.

Re clamps, if you cut the J-pipe carefully and reuse the top pipe clamp you just need just one 3.5" clamp for the bottom. I got mine at NAPA.

Attachments

Katahdin

My muffler is the same as the first post of this thread [Donaldson m070028] The heat shield and this muffler will not fit together, if you read post #8 the Op chopped and fab his heat shield to fit. Short of saying there isn't a better muffler to put there, I'll just say there's not much room to put something bigger.

Most people either install mufflers above or below that top clamp bracket in my picture. You've got more room for a bigger muffler above the bracket. You might also need to modify your side mirrors to fit. Good luck!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the one I used and I modified the cover grill keep the appearance using an idea some else came up with. It allows a conversation to take place in the cab. I also modified the exhaust adding a flapper.

Attachments

Katahdin

Re paint, I first coated it with black stove paint then top coated it with Gillespie 24087. It has turned pink in one spot due to the heat but I just touch it up with some paint spray and call it good.

quickfarms

this is nice

What muffler do they use on the A3?

DB Enginnering makes a rubber/vinly floor mat that has the insulation attached to it.
http://www.cabinsulation.com/floormats.htm

I found this on Eriks site but it is not cheap
M35A3 Cab Interior Insulation Set

Item# M35A3-insulation-set-interior
$750.00

Product Description

Cab insulation for the M35A3 truck. Consists of the following insulation pieces:
SCW RCSK-17080 fire wall
12448958 transmission tunnel front
SCWRCSK-17471 transmission tunnel rear
12448959 bell housing to fire wall
12448961 drivers side floor
12448962 passenger side floor

All insulation is new/unused. All floor mat sections have a dense foam lined back with a heavy duty textured rubber top surface. The firewall section has a dense foam back with a thick rubber top layer.

28 lb

Last edited:

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make an insulated floor mat pre-fitted to the deuce? Or is it a mat that must be cut to fit?

I had already been thinking in this direction, but it seems that the application of a bed liner or other type substance would have to go down on the metal floor first to prevent any moisture build up from rusting the floors.

mightymanx

Here is what I just picked up from NAPA:
Part#17224
center 3 1/2 inlet and outlet - runs straight up ^^
total length: 21 inches
diameter of Muffler tube:
length of muffler tube: 16 inches

Ultra Flo - welded Stainless Steel

Comparison:
Gibson prt# flows 311 cfm
Flowmaster part#943051 flows 435 cfm
Edlebrock part #5560 flows 640 cfm
Dynomax (which this is) part #17221 flows 1300 cfm

I Know - I know no good without a pic so here it is for size comparison - not installed as the MV's are down getting painted.
Good taste I have used that Dynomax muffler 3 times now with good results.

The last one I installed right outside of Ft rilley at a buddies house before the drive to Seattle.

WOW that was a quality of life improvement over the Redstone to Seattle trip let me tell you!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks