• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the club ! And yes I have lost my mine !

1951M1078

First impressions of driving the M1078. Test was 1 mile x 3. Idle seams high ? Needed to be firm on the brakes.(Yeppe I have brakes) May have been a little light on the throttle , would hang a little before shifting. 2 to 3 to 4 very firm. From their it was ok 5 to 6. Never got to 7. To short a road. Top speed 35 mph. Braking needs a lot of pressure. Not to much just new to me.Two point turn to go back and the idle is high.Had to be hard on the brakes . (will need to look at that) Is the idle something that I can set ? The truck is unloaded but seem to move on out ! Not a sports car but quick. That is after you get out of 2 and 3rd.

Its cool here 50-60. Motor came up to 200 +- and just sat their. (no fan) Oil pressure at 200 deg. was 70 at idle. Motor pulled strong and sounds fine. (like I know!)

So do you need to be on the brakes firm at a stop ? I saw ,in the mirror some wheel spin in revers backing into the shop ? (dirt) Don't think that is right. This was no throttle and firm on the brakes in revers.

But all in all, I'm very happy !

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The throttle cables are known for being sticky. Sometimes it's improper placement. You want nice curves nothing tight or it will bind. I reposition them often. I have used air to force wd40 thru also. The way the cable sits where it connects in the cab, leaks over the window lights over time can allow moisture in the line. You can adjust the cable also it's 2 nuts at the throttle area. You should be able to gently apply the brakes and come to a smooth stop. If the truck is fighting you the idle is too high. The truck can overpower its brakes. Does the treadle valve feel firm or spongy?

f8617

First impressions of driving the M1078...Idle seams high? Needed to be firm on the brakes...May have been a little light on the throttle , would hang a little before shifting...Braking needs a lot of pressure...Had to be hard on the brakes...Is the idle something that I can set?...Its cool here 50-60. Motor came up to 200 +- and just sat their. (no fan)...Oil pressure at 200 deg. was 70 at idle...So do you need to be on the brakes firm at a stop? I saw ,in the mirror some wheel spin in revers backing into the shop ? (dirt) Don't think that is right. This was no throttle and firm on the brakes in revers....
Hey 1951, Congratulations on getting your truck on the road!

I have have two winch trucks, each has a tachometer. Based on my observations, 650rpm idle is just right, 800rpm is too high. Make sure your throttle isn't sticking (per previous posts). Idle adjustment is an allen screw with a lock nut...be careful, it can be very tight (lube it), so disconnect that end of the tranny throttle sensor cable for better access.

The M1078 upshifts at ~2000rpm for all gears (see tach, also orange-line 2000-2500, red-line 2500+). 45mph in 7th gear is ~2000rpm.
IMG_2522.jpg

1951M1078

Took a look at the cable and think it needs some lub.

Worked on the wiper tank and pump and got that running. Needed to remove the step cover to get the tank out.

IMG_3366.jpg

Also installed new wipers. Is it ok to stagger the driver side wiper so it makes a full sweep ?

IMG_3364.jpg

And got a new toy for the top !

IMG_3365.jpg

DTAN

Huston ! We have brakes !

Would like to kill the guy that cut the valve out of the system. I have just enough 3/8" tubing to test the system. But not enough to install the valve back into the mounting hole. BASTARD !

Install a new 1/2" hose but the 3/8" run to the rear. I don't think its legal to splice the runs to the rear ? So I will get to replace 50' of hose ! BASTARDS !
NAPA sells dot approved splices ...

1951M1078

Got a tool for towing. It was no Ebay ,said to be rusted ? Don't know if it is someone here but I got it apart. Only took 20,000 lbs. Got to love a porta-power.

IMG_3540.jpgIMG_3545.jpgIMG_3547.jpgIMG_3549.jpg

I guess you can bend a 1" pin. And other things.

Used a 50/50 lub of ATF and Acetone. Worked ok.

Last edited:

1951M1078

Hi,Allan. Give me a call when you head this way. Just to make sure I'm at the shop.

Just doing general clean up. I did start on the brush guard mounts. Now just need to get the tube bender out.

IMG_3483.jpg

Also need to get a housing made for the tach and get it mounted.

1951M1078

Moving somethings around . Building a tool holder for my benders and notcher.
Working the fit , then will tack things together and see how it feels.

IMG_3560.jpg

Then on to building the brush guards and other things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks